2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by Gyro
I hope you're not thinking of buying one.

Not even close.

I am really not a fan of the acoustic sound, I guess.

Every acoustic I have played is always too BOOMY. At least, it is when I play it. Poor technique, I am sure.

Pretty much this. You can get really superb instruments for $80,000. Poor voicing and regulation excluded, if you can't make an $80k piano sing, it's a technique thing. What most people who have only played DPs don't get is that DPs have a greatly reduced dynamic range and people set the volume where it is easiest for them - and in the process they don't learn how to play with a light touch - which is essential to control the power of an acoustic. DP only players also greatly over-pedal - which is intolerable on an acoustic. A skilled player will be able to play an $80,000 grand much softer and much louder, and with more tonal variation than a DP.
Or even cheaper! I bought my Petrof 9'2 for $19k minus a $6k trade-in on my 5'6 Sammick (that I paid about $8k for a few years prior) - so for a net $21k plus about $2k in voicing and some other work I have a great acoustic instrument. The pp and ff are great, and fully within control. Also remember that a piano that is not well-regulated can have notes that stick out no matter how good your technique, and many pianos in a store are not regulated or voiced.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
I hope you're not thinking of buying one. Try this. Go back to the store and try that grand at least twice more. By the third time you try it, the novelty will have worn off and it won't sound as overwhelming.
Hmm, I suspect if this is the real Gyro. Where are the paragraphs of copied and pasted text he usually posts? Wonder if he lost the files.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Quite possibly the ugliest and most depressing corner of the entire globe. Except Hull.

Just needed to say that."

Ha ha - spoken like a true Southerner who`s been there . . . I reckon Ashford is worse . . . .bet they haven`t got a Bluthner in their civic centre . . .or a Shipyard . . .(semifunctioning)

But Barrow has it`s compensations.

http://www.barrowbc.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=3487

In fact. I`d say the area around Barrow excels that around almost anywhere in the country. The above is just one attraction. The pub that never closes . . . until the last customer leaves!

Last edited by peterws; 06/25/13 01:17 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by peterws
I reckon Ashford is worse

I lived in Ashford for a few months some years back - I can confirm it certainly is grim. It's a dreadful place. And at least Barrow has the Lakes a stone's throw away - and a Bluthner in the Civic Centre apparently. But having been once to Barrow I sincerely hope never to return.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Or even cheaper! I bought my Petrof 9'2 for $19k minus a $6k trade-in on my 5'6 Sammick (that I paid about $8k for a few years prior) - so for a net $21k plus about $2k in voicing and some other work I have a great acoustic instrument. The pp and ff are great, and fully within control. Also remember that a piano that is not well-regulated can have notes that stick out no matter how good your technique, and many pianos in a store are not regulated or voiced.

Oh absolutely! I don't think one need spend anywhere near $80k for a glorious acoustic. I only used that figure because the OP claimed $80k were noticeably substandard. When I hear things like that, I tend to think to myself, "this person isn't a pianist at all, maybe a keyboard player, maybe barely that". I would kill to have an $80k piano!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by ando
I don't think one need spend anywhere near $80k for a glorious acoustic.

+1

Yamaha C3X. Kawai RX-3. £20k give or take a grand or two. I'd be very happy at this level.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hope you're not thinking of buying one. Try this. Go back to the store and try that grand at least twice more. By the third time you try it, the novelty will have worn off and it won't sound as overwhelming.
Hmm, I suspect if this is the real Gyro. Where are the paragraphs of copied and pasted text he usually posts? Wonder if he lost the files.

Also, the 'old' Gyro used only 1/3 of the line-width, the 'new' Gyro uses 100% of the line-width. But 'old' nor 'new', it is nice to have additional entertainment value in the forum!

On the topic of acoustic pianos, one of the nicests and cheapests designs is the Kawai RX-2. I was lucky that I could afford the somewhat larger RX-3, but I would be permanently happy with a well-chosen specimen of the RX-2.

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by doremi

Also, the 'old' Gyro used only 1/3 of the line-width, the 'new' Gyro uses 100% of the line-width. But 'old' nor 'new', it is nice to have additional entertainment value in the forum!

Extra note:

How could this not be the original "Gyro" as Gyro is currently a 4,000 Post Club Member and the current number of posts are 4,523. If Gyro was a new member then Gyro wouldn't have 4,523 posts to start with, right?

If you check all of Gyro's posts in the member profile under "Show User's Posts" you will see that Gyro was dormant for almost two years from 7-25-11 up until 6-24-13 and also 6-26-13 with two new posts appearing in two different forums.

Anyone can view this info so it looks legit to me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission