2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 43 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 42 43

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
For that very "retro" class piano experience...Yikes!! Don't show that to the administrators here...

Now all I can think of is Three Blind Mice!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
B
http://dubuque.craigslist.org/zip/3871524913.html

It's a scam, no surprise. Just for "the lolz" (I hate that phrase, yet, it works so well...), I wrote the donor and am following through with the scam. I'm always curious with these things, exactly where the point is that money has to change hands. It's safe up until that point. Oh, and if they want personal information, just give something fake. Just in case; although unless they have my social security number I'm not sure what they could do with just a street address.

Our conversation was along the lines of, he's a god-fearing preacher moving from... Kansas? To north dakota.
Using a texan moving company (from the area code)
and he'll donate the piano (to someone in dubuque, iowa, of all places), IF I pay $300 to the moving company to cover their expenses in changing the destination.

Yeah, right!

I'll keep my kimball mechanics special smile

Last edited by berninicaco3; 06/17/13 11:16 PM.
B
B
http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/msg/3841030663.html

are they crazy, or, do 1960s electronics have some collectors value that I'm too much of a philistine to grasp?

Btw-- Mr. Verhnjak. I took the liberty to call out the poster on the false photo. It is NOT good craigslist etiquette, and, I like craigslist.
He very reasonably agreed with me and asked that I point out which photo is not his own.

That's kind of crazy, because, either he knows darn well which he pirated, or, he pirated all of them and none are from his workshop, and he just doesn't know which he pirated from YOU! smile
Either way, can you tell me which piano you restored, of his photos there, so I can in turn inform him myself?

D
D
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3877387436.html

Gee, Only a few little things missing? Who's idea was it to make those upper cut a ways. And how does a mirror make it any more special?

David Chadwick RPT
Newark, Ohio
1931 Mason Hamlin AA
B
B
"Gee, Only a few little things missing? Who's idea was it to make those upper cut a ways. And how does a mirror make it any more special?"

you know, REAL musicians value the MUSICAL qualities.
Legs, lids-- those are but trappings, furniture. It's what's on the inside the counts.

Leaving it unrestored speaks to the character of the piano's day, the accumulated history of all of those who played on it in the decades past. Can you not feel their stories coming through in every blemish of the varnish? Is it not beautiful to behold?

Last edited by berninicaco3; 06/17/13 11:47 PM.

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by berninicaco3
http://dubuque.craigslist.org/zip/3871524913.html

It's a scam, no surprise. Just for "the lolz" (I hate that phrase, yet, it works so well...), I wrote the donor and am following through with the scam. I'm always curious with these things, exactly where the point is that money has to change hands. It's safe up until that point. Oh, and if they want personal information, just give something fake. Just in case; although unless they have my social security number I'm not sure what they could do with just a street address.

Our conversation was along the lines of, he's a god-fearing preacher moving from... Kansas? To north dakota.
Using a texan moving company (from the area code)
and he'll donate the piano (to someone in dubuque, iowa, of all places), IF I pay $300 to the moving company to cover their expenses in changing the destination.

Yeah, right!

I'll keep my kimball mechanics special smile

Presents the appearance of one of the oldest shill games in the con-world. Though they usually go for more than a few hundered bucks. We experience something akin to this when selling our harpsichord last year on ebay. We passed it by. Eventually someone else provided the cash and picked it up.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by berninicaco3
Btw-- Mr. Verhnjak. I took the liberty to call out the poster on the false photo. It is NOT good craigslist etiquette, and, I like craigslist.
He very reasonably agreed with me and asked that I point out which photo is not his own.

That's kind of crazy, because, either he knows darn well which he pirated, or, he pirated all of them and none are from his workshop, and he just doesn't know which he pirated from YOU! smile
Either way, can you tell me which piano you restored, of his photos there, so I can in turn inform him myself?

I have contacted him a few times. Told him what picture was mine. He said he would remove it but has not. He has this ad and a few others like it running in many areas. This is off my web site and the picture that is being used.

He was very polite to me as well but.....

[Linked Image]

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

B
B
that's too bad.
The greater danger is not to yourself, but if he's NOT a competent restorer, and falsely advertising work and skills beyond his own abilities, someone else (seeing this beautiful work) could be taken in, and commit their own piano to him.

Using tineye (reverse image search engine-- for finding stolen images just like yours), one of his other images comes from here:
http://www.antiquepianoshop.com/product/290/weber-rococo-style-victorian-parlor-grand-piano/
I can't say whether he could have done the work, and they're just the dealer-- or if he stole that image, too.

B
B
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/3864951091.html

"in perfect condition as see in pix also it been tune up by professional so you be sure to get every note sound right "

Really?? Check out the pix of the hammers....

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright, Yamaha U30. Yamaha electric.
D
D
Here's an update on the Lindner "Plastic Piano". Hitting close rock bottom at $20.00. This thing gets posted about 4 times a year. I'm surprised it's even standing or maybe the wall is holding it up.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/msg/3884650681.html

David Chadwick RPT
Newark, Ohio
1931 Mason Hamlin AA
B
B
that's not the first time I've seen "use it for parts" below a free (or near-free, I guess, @$20) piano ad.

for cars, there's always the possibility of an engine, transmission, or body components being re-used; if say the car was junked because of a front end collision but the engine wasn't touched and the trunk can be put on a vehicle that suffered a rear end collision.
There's a market.
Also, millions of a model may have been made-- so when one is junked, there are cars out there in need of a donor.

Realistically, do technicians here ever actually part out pianos? Or is that only possible with some gold standard, like a steinway, where there's a 100,000 copies that you can interchange parts between?
Most of the obscure uprights that are being given away 'for parts,' i suspect, you'll never find another one of that model around that needs exactly those parts that aren't broken on the freebie.

Last edited by berninicaco3; 06/21/13 04:11 AM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

Marty in Minnesota

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

Style looks like "Early W---- H----."

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
They say it was worth re-gluing. I have no idea what that means.

I wonder if the bird sings along while you play.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/3893432301.html

A
A
Originally Posted by BrainCramp

Regulating maybe?

-Andy

AndyJ
Originally Posted by AndyJ
Originally Posted by BrainCramp

Regulating maybe?

-Andy

Oh yes Andy that makes sense now! The tuner said he was "regulating" it and the owner must have heard it as "re-gluing".

I was really scratching my head over where the ad said the piano was worth re-gluing for the move from Groton to Waltham. That's only about 30 miles.

What a scream! Oh, if only pianos could talk about their owners. What stories they'd tell.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I just wonder if Swiffers are included or are they optional, along with the glue?

Marty in Minnesota

I just wonder if Swiffers are included or are they optional, along with the glue?

Yes, it's a dusty affair, isn't it? I hope the bird gets more attention than the piano.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
The bird is probably as dead as the piano.

Marty in Minnesota

The bird is probably as dead as the piano.

Not if they re-glued it in time.

Page 21 of 43 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 42 43

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission