Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
70 registered members (AprilE, ando, Agent88, almo82, Anticlock, Baroque Style, 23 invisible), 1,338 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 #2104485
06/18/13 03:20 PM
06/18/13 03:20 PM
France
imyself Offline OP
imyself  Offline OP

France
Hello,

Above all, I thank Qbert whose advice helped me acquire very quickly (in a short week) a Kawai VPC1 while this object is almost impossible to find in Europe.

Small development needed: VPC1 is only slightly curved. My great laptop (38 cm x 25 cm) buried there without a problem. (6 mm floating disappear with the large mouse pad on which rests the computer) and my small laptop already feels at home.

This keyboard is not only a marvel of precision and a tool that I think extremely well thought out, but more: it has a real and simple beauty! A certain majesty.

Coupled with the power of the German piano True Keys (VI Labs) ... I confess to being filled.

At the risk of sounding like a fanatic (and I do not care if this is the case) I feel (the unlikely) feel feel the same vibrations that when I played on a real piano ...

NB: Note that I am fully aware of the strangeness of this, but I think I have discovered the reason for the vibrations ...

Possible explanation: I live in a wooden chalet, so floor, walls, ceiling are wood, and are certainly conducive to a certain sound propagation. My monitor speakers are placed on the ground, and are close against the stand on which the VPC1 based, the "hood" of VPC1 office may actually be "resonance chamber" and the wooden keys of the keyboard end of the vibrations transmit to my fingers ...
and I can assure you that I feel these vibrations are in no case the product of my imagination, and they are real.

One thing is sure, buy this VPC1 (Kawai) and these pianos True Keys (VI Labs) is definitely the best investment I made long ago ...

A thought in passing:
Even if you assured me, test and supporting evidence, that the last shoes I bought are neither the best nor the most comfortable that exist on the market ... I will leave, despite all the care, my feet to decide.

PS: i hope G..... has done a good translation smile

I forgot: Thanks a lot to Kawai to create such great product thumb

Kawai VPC1/Synthogy American D/Pianoteq 5 Pro/Galaxy Vintage D

"Remember to take the time ... before time takes you"
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: imyself] #2104523
06/18/13 04:09 PM
06/18/13 04:09 PM
France
Jean-Luc Offline
Jean-Luc  Offline

France
C'est une très bonne nouvelle d'apprendre que le VPC1 semble correspondre à ce que vous en attendiez (et peut-être même un peu plus smile ). J'espère que le jouer vous apportera beaucoup de joie smile

Amicalement smile

It is a very good news to learn that the VPC1 seems to correspond to what you were expecting from it (and maybe even beyond that smile ). I hope that playing it will bring you a lot of joy smile

Friendly smile

- Please, forgive my bad English smile

Jean-Luc
Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: imyself] #2104526
06/18/13 04:10 PM
06/18/13 04:10 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
imyself, thank you for the positive feedback - I'm glad you're enjoying your new VPC!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: Jean-Luc] #2104562
06/18/13 05:20 PM
06/18/13 05:20 PM
France
imyself Offline OP
imyself  Offline OP

France
Originally Posted by Jean-Luc
C'est une très bonne nouvelle d'apprendre que le VPC1 semble correspondre à ce que vous en attendiez (et peut-être même un peu plus smile ). J'espère que le jouer vous apportera beaucoup de joie smile

Amicalement smile
Thanks/ Merci Jean Luc

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater - Lowest Prices on Gear
Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: Kawai James] #2104568
06/18/13 05:34 PM
06/18/13 05:34 PM
France
imyself Offline OP
imyself  Offline OP

France
Originally Posted by Kawai James
imyself, thank you for the positive feedback - I'm glad you're enjoying your new VPC!

Cheers,
James
x
you're welcome James,
but this product possesses these qualities, and so deserve to be mentioned.

PS: about these "vibrations" felt, would this sound repercussion of the same kind as that created by the speakers of CA 95 ... a sort of?
this feeling is really amazing...have you any idea of the way of this action happen?
Regards

Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: imyself] #2104651
06/18/13 09:20 PM
06/18/13 09:20 PM
Atlanta
pianobear100 Offline
pianobear100  Offline

Atlanta
Congratulations of your new VPC1!

I am thinking about buying one or probably waiting for the replacement of the MP10 (until it at least comes out & is reviewed).

It always seems to be the monitors that are the weak link in the digital piano set-up. I have Makie, KRK & Adam A-7 and not happy with the sound. May I ask you what monitors you have that you are so happy with.

Sincerely,

Don
Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: pianobear100] #2104652
06/18/13 09:23 PM
06/18/13 09:23 PM
Pennsylvania
D
dmd Offline
3000 Post Club Member
dmd  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
D

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by pianobear100

I am thinking about buying one or probably waiting for the replacement of the MP10 (until it at least comes out & is reviewed).

It always seems to be the monitors that are the weak link in the digital piano set-up. I have Makie, KRK & Adam A-7 and not happy with the sound. May I ask you what monitors you have that you are so happy with.

Sincerely,

When you say you have "Makie, KRK & Adam A-7" are you running all those monitors at the same time ?

Don

Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course - Completed Chapter 5

Pianoteq, Spacestation v.3 Powered Stereo Monitor
Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: pianobear100] #2104708
06/19/13 01:05 AM
06/19/13 01:05 AM
France
imyself Offline OP
imyself  Offline OP

France

Sincerely,
thanks Pianobear,
i may make a mistake, but the Kawai MP10 is a very very good product and is really close the VPC1...so

my monitors are old Focal MC 16 (but it was on time a very good monitors made by a qualified team)
Regards

Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: imyself] #2105006
06/19/13 06:05 PM
06/19/13 06:05 PM
Atlanta
pianobear100 Offline
pianobear100  Offline

Atlanta
I have a MP8 and bought several different types of monitors. The Adam 7 seem to be the worst for the MP8 piano sound, The KRK are 4 inch monitors and are so-so, I tried the 6 inch, but they piced up the radio station in the background smile. The best is the 5 inch Mackie (the inexpensive ones), but they can make my ears get really tired very quickly. I have tried them all at once and individually. In fact, the Adam 7 and the Mackie create a so-so sound.

They set idle and I use my Unisone headphone. They seem to sound the most pleasant and expressive.

I am always in amazement that the monitors do not sound very well. I know they are really for mixing, but they are all basically have been unsatisfactory to me.

I finally gave up, but getting ready to start looking again. If Yamaha N2 can make a piano sound good, then there should be other speakers that can too. Yamaha should make a speaker system especially designed for digital pianos.

I have given some thought to buying a N2, but I really wanted something semi-portable that I could take to senior citizens centers that would WOW with the sound.

I really like the VPC1. I wish I could hear more people playing on it on YouTube. There are very few recordings that I have been able to find. I am waiting to see what the replacement for the MP10 is like as I like the availability for built in piano sound, ability to record myself & to layer a set of strings on top. I tried the MP10 at Sam Ash in New York City at Christmas when I was there on a holiday, but I had issues with the action at least on that piano. It wouldn't always catch the notes. I really think something was wrong with the piano and told the salesman, but I don't think he cared. smile I am thinking the 3rd sensor would prevent what was happening when I played. I play pretty well and hence pretty demanding on polyphony.

Thank you for telling me that you are using the Focal MC 16 speakers.

I live in Atlanta GA, but the selection here is not the best. It is pretty bad to have to go to another city to try out equipment. Sam Ash in Atlanta does not carry any Kawai keyboards in their store. Anxious, like everyone else on the forum, to try out the VPC1.

Don
Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: pianobear100] #2105198
06/20/13 02:37 AM
06/20/13 02:37 AM
France
imyself Offline OP
imyself  Offline OP

France
I have a MP8 and bought several different types of monitors...
they can make my ears get really tired very quickly...

They set idle and I use my Unisone headphone. They seem to sound the most pleasant and expressive.

I am always in amazement that the monitors do not sound very well. I know they are really for mixing, but they are all basically have been unsatisfactory to me.
I really like the VPC1. I wish I could hear more people playing on it on YouTube.
Anxious, like everyone else on the forum, to try out the VPC1.
Hello pianobear,

I'm afraid that to get a good listening, you have to put a certain price. (sorry not to be able to advise you on good monitors, but it's easy to find advice by browsing the forums here and there)

In my opinion, as powerful as your headphone can be, it can not replace the sensations felt from a system of very good listening quality.

By the fact that the VPC1 is a master keyboard, so do not emitting any sound... I'm not sure, that see many videos be of any help for you in the use of a VPC1.

There you have it completely right, to try is undeniably the best way to "know"
*when trying is possible

Regards

* Of course, as for many,it was impossible for me to try VPC1 before buying it, but I jumped, eyes closed on the occasion when it was possible for me to have one quickly. (Maybe it was the last one in Europe? lucky man i am smile )
Having, on internet, travelled more or less on the history of the musical instruments section of the Kawai firm, it was obvious that I did not take a lot of risk to acquire a VPC1 ...

I confess even admire their gait to have achieved the feat of creating a "Piano" master keyboard with so advanced technology, with a strong and dignified beauty, clearance robustness, and all for a price that seems in this day, affordable for a long-term investment ...

Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: pianobear100] #2106692
06/23/13 10:37 AM
06/23/13 10:37 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
W
Wess. Chr. K. Offline
Wess. Chr. K.  Offline
W

Sofia, Bulgaria
Dear pianobear100,

I would suggest to record your music and bring it on USB stick to studio or store with different type of monitors.

Personally, I love EVENT OPAL.
They are perfect for classical music. Huge dynamic and precision...

On second place for this need I would focus your interest to GENELEC – they are good too, but only the higher class.
(I connected my Gens to the AG N1 in parallel to its own speakers and I am very happy with this combination)

Otherwise Yamaha NS40m (they are passive but sound very gentle!!!), Yamaha msp10, Adam 8. (Adam 7 ... so-so)

IMHO, there is no need of sub-woofer.
It is difficult to make balance with it – either too much or too less bass.
And it is mostly intended to RnB, Hip Hop etc.
However, if you play pipe organ (as VST), well, you "must have it".

Best regards,
Wess
Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: imyself] #2106709
06/23/13 11:16 AM
06/23/13 11:16 AM
France
imyself Offline OP
imyself  Offline OP

France
...I must admit that: after (re) test my Vintage D, on my VPC1, with it own velocity curve preset (from Galaxy) ... this sound bank has really a unique presence ...

Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: imyself] #2107067
06/24/13 04:54 AM
06/24/13 04:54 AM
Italy
Qbert Offline
Qbert  Offline

Italy
Hi Hervé,
do you remember I told you I was little disappointed by the pasty, viscous key feeling?! Well, after some days of use, I don't feel this is an issue any more. I'm not sure if it really disappeared (was it grease?) or it's me, become used to. But now it's far better!
grin

I wonder if you, or other owners, had got the same experience.

Last edited by Qbert; 06/24/13 05:00 AM.

GEM Promega 3 (sold) - Yamaha CLP 170 (sold) - Acuna88 (sold) - Kawai VPC1 + BK7m
Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: Qbert] #2107077
06/24/13 05:17 AM
06/24/13 05:17 AM
France
imyself Offline OP
imyself  Offline OP

France
Originally Posted by Qbert
Hi Hervé,
do you remember I told you I was little disappointed by the pasty, viscous key feeling?! Well, after some days of use, I don't feel this is an issue any more. I'm not sure if it really disappeared (was it grease?) or it's me, become used to. But now it's far better!

Hello Ivan,

On the Pianoteq site, a user found the same thing as you ... a kind of fat was on the notes, and eventually disappear after some time... no idea what it can be.

Other than that, I feel a real pleasure to play on my "new piano".
the velocity curves are undeniably useful, and I confess rediscover some sound banks ...

the Pianoteq curve is the one I use most with my True Keys piano, It give a better sensitivity...

Regards

Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: imyself] #2107107
06/24/13 07:38 AM
06/24/13 07:38 AM
Canada Alberta
M
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Michael_99  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Canada Alberta
imyself, I have read your post, here:
Hello,

Above all, I thank Qbert whose advice helped me acquire very quickly (in a short week) a Kawai VPC1 while this object is almost impossible to find in Europe.

Small development needed: VPC1 is only slightly curved. My great laptop (38 cm x 25 cm) buried there without a problem. (6 mm floating disappear with the large mouse pad on which rests the computer) and my small laptop already feels at home.

This keyboard is not only a marvel of precision and a tool that I think extremely well thought out, but more: it has a real and simple beauty! A certain majesty.

Coupled with the power of the German piano True Keys (VI Labs) ... I confess to being filled.

At the risk of sounding like a fanatic (and I do not care if this is the case) I feel (the unlikely) feel feel the same vibrations that when I played on a real piano ...

NB: Note that I am fully aware of the strangeness of this, but I think I have discovered the reason for the vibrations ...

Possible explanation: I live in a wooden chalet, so floor, walls, ceiling are wood, and are certainly conducive to a certain sound propagation. My monitor speakers are placed on the ground, and are close against the stand on which the VPC1 based, the "hood" of VPC1 office may actually be "resonance chamber" and the wooden keys of the keyboard end of the vibrations transmit to my fingers ...
and I can assure you that I feel these vibrations are in no case the product of my imagination, and they are real.

One thing is sure, buy this VPC1 (Kawai) and these pianos True Keys (VI Labs) is definitely the best investment I made long ago ...

A thought in passing:
Even if you assured me, test and supporting evidence, that the last shoes I bought are neither the best nor the most comfortable that exist on the market ... I will leave, despite all the care, my feet to decide.

PS: i hope G..... has done a good translation smile

I forgot: Thanks a lot to Kawai to create such great product thumb

Remember to take the time...before Time takes you!

I am delighted to hear of your positive report.

I am not sure what it is you have because you have mentioned a Kawai VPC1 keyboard, a laptop and speakers in a wooden cabinet.

So how much did the keyboard cost? How much did the laptop cost? How much do the speakers in the wooden cabinet cost? A good acoustic piano could cost $30,000 Canadian dollars.

I live in a small all wooden shack built after the second world war for soldiers come home to start a family with their new wives. I have a sub woofer the size of a large microwave and even though my shack is made of 6 X 6 wooden timbers, the whole shack shakes from the vibrations of the sub woofer.

But to be fair, I live on a busy street, and huge dump trucks, and accordian stretch buses, cause my shack to vibrate when they are outside the shack waiting for the light to change.

cheers,

Last edited by Michael_99; 06/24/13 07:46 AM.
Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: Michael_99] #2107142
06/24/13 10:02 AM
06/24/13 10:02 AM
France
imyself Offline OP
imyself  Offline OP

France
Hello Michael_99,

sorry, as i do not understand what you write, so i cannot answer...

Regards

Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: imyself] #2107477
06/24/13 08:39 PM
06/24/13 08:39 PM
T
Trstan993 Offline
Trstan993  Offline
T

I just place an order on the vpc1 in the states and it's delayed until 2nd week of August as a possible delivery date, though still tentative. My father was thinking getting another one as well but I offer a possible alternative by converting his old grand using PianoDisc, that essentially is a midi silence system use on acoustic piano with midi output. I'm curious if I will be able to customize the velocity curve using Ivory2's innate software and establish an even more realistic experience than the vpc1.

Re: My impressions on my new Kawai VPC1 [Re: Trstan993] #2107598
06/25/13 12:48 AM
06/25/13 12:48 AM
France
imyself Offline OP
imyself  Offline OP

France
Originally Posted by Trstan993
I just place an order on the vpc1 in the states and it's delayed until 2nd week of August as a possible delivery date, though still tentative. My father was thinking getting another one as well but I offer a possible alternative by converting his old grand using PianoDisc, that essentially is a midi silence system use on acoustic piano with midi output. I'm curious if I will be able to customize the velocity curve using Ivory2's innate software and establish an even more realistic experience than the vpc1.
Hello Trstan993,

if you are of lucky people who can have a real grand... thumb

in case, i have heard good things about PnoScan:
http://www.qrsmusic.com/pianomation-p.asp?pid=3382

Regards

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Crackling noise when recording digital piano
by Tommm777. 11/13/18 01:01 AM
Summer Camp Opportunity with orchestra
by pianofan1017. 11/13/18 12:47 AM
Pedal noise fix for Garritan CFX
by HCC. 11/13/18 12:34 AM
Hailun - Out of business?
by StevenG. 11/13/18 12:12 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,309
Posts2,760,584
Members91,477
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission