2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zhengy4
I had a D274 at my school, it was certainly awful, maybe due to lack of maintenance.

No, it's true, Steinway has never been in the same class as Ritmuller.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Those who are the most competent to judge, concede that the Steinway Piano is the best in the world; presenting to it's admirers a completeness, an artistic finality sought for in vain in other pianos."

Excerpted from a Steinway Ad that Marty posted last week.
Steinway is perhaps the finest piano company in the world in regards to smugness.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dara
"Those who are the most competent to judge, concede that the Steinway Piano is the best in the world; presenting to it's admirers a completeness, an artistic finality sought for in vain in other pianos."

Steinway is perhaps the finest piano company in the world in regards to smugness.

Ahem - The ad was from 1905. Hardly unlike any ads from the period for any product. Kitchen gadgets received the same glowing treatment.

Please remember, Norbert didn't set this up as a Steinway Bashing Thread, but the temptation seems to be insurmountable. For what end?

I do believe it is time to start bashing the bashers.

Marty in Minnesota

Norbert Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Like the fact that judging by up to now, this is not exactly turning out the most boring thread to date.

But not sure yet if it's going to turn out "best ever"....

Norbert grin

Last edited by Norbert; 06/23/13 10:18 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

Ahem - The ad was from 1905. Hardly unlike any ads from the period for any product. Kitchen gadgets received the same glowing treatment.

Please remember, Norbert didn't set this up as a Steinway Bashing Thread, but the temptation seems to be insurmountable. For what end?

I do believe it is time to start bashing the bashers.

smile
Marty, you posted this ad, in which this statement was at the very beginning of your Steinway thread.

I don't notice a lot of Steinway bashing on PW. I have noticed several piano companies 'put through the wringer' on various occasions here on PW.
For myself, this is the first reference I've ever made to Steinway in my postings on PW.

Your bashing the bashers idea sounds brilliant.
frown wow

R
R
After playing many wonderful Bosies, Bechsteins, Mason-Hamlins, and Bluethners, I can tell people that Steinway is one of many fine top tier pianos. But, it is certainly "not the only game in town". After all, I have one. :-)

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
In business, if you have a great product and no marketing, you have NOTHING!
You can make the best piano in the world in your garage but if you can't market it, you have nothing.

I don't see it so impossible that Steinway besides building what I feel is the most beautiful sounding piano, also happens to be a pure business and marketing genius!

This is very frustrating to the other manufacturers but not to all...

Steinway is only geared towards the customers who want and can afford the "best" (and want the name). This is a relatively a small portion of the entire piano market pool and perhaps less profitable due to the fact that the volume is not there.

Perhaps Yamaha and Kawai is happy being what they are. They sell ALOT more pianos per year and in the end, due to shier volume, they make way more money.

The problem is the manufacturers who are also trying to build the "best" piano. What they are learning is that simply building a great piano which may or may not be as good as a Steinway just isn't good enough. It's actually not even close.

For a competing company such as Bosendorfer to compete for Steinway's potential customers, they must penetrate the market which is an extremely hard task! It's like trying to compete with Facebook by making a new facebook but slightly better - NEVER GOING TO WORK!

Bosendorfer would have to pierce through the establishment of Steinway by not only making a great piano, but a piano that will just blow the doors off the Steinway. Side by side, the Steinway must feel, play, and sound like garbage compared. In addition, they will also have to spend loads of money on marketing to open the minds of the so-called brainwashed individuals such as myself to even try a Bosendorfer on the showroom floor and provide extremely price aggressive incentives. In other words, Bosendorfer (as an example) would have to make a piano at least 50% better and be 50% less expensive than a steinway to penetrate that market. A market which in fact is not all that profitable to begin with.
The truth is that most people are not making over 150k / year and can afford a Steinway. What's the average nowdays? 75k/yr? Majority of the public can and will only spend 10-20k on a piano, and Yamaha is happy to greet them with a fine instrument...

So why would Bosendorfer fight so hard in this endless uphill battle against the stigma, and in my opinion - the truth of a Steinway being an incredible instrument. In my opinion, they are trying to make a better piano, and in my opinion, they don't. It simply doesn't sound as good. Perhaps there are various patents which are prohibiting them from creating such sound via the technology, but why fight so hard, with very little chance of success, where they can make way more money, and have much better success if they just gear towards the general public and compete with Yamaha. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a person looking at a Yamaha is much more open minded about another brand than a person shopping for a Steinway...

To answer my question - pride. Although I've played Bosendorfer, Bechstein and haven't been blown away and the steinway always sat a bit higher in regards to my personal taste and the sound it produced, I have alot of respect for those companies. If they wanted to make alot of money and keep the investors happy, they can build a "Yamaha", but they want to build a great instrument.

In a way, this in my opinion keeps Steinway in check. Without competition, Steinway could easily start cutting corners on the manufacturing and increase profit, but they know those companies are lurking just waiting for Steinway to screw up.

It's human nature to speak harshly of No.1 In car racing - No.1 is always the cheater who has the cheater engine. Microsoft is an evil empire. But could it be that Steinway which is commonly considered as No1 by pianists and people who even don't play the piano can recognize the Steinway brand. Could it be that it's No.1 because it's simply great? Could the No.1 fastest driver in the race truly be the most talented???

I'm happy that this thread didn't turn into a Steinway bashing.
In the end, survival of the fittest will do the trick. Fittest piano, with the fittest marketing. An unfit piano with very good marketing would have NEVER lasted 150 years.

(what I present above are my opinions)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I don't notice a lot of Steinway bashing on PW.

Oh Dara, I've bashed Steinway plenty. So have lots of people here.

Just not this last week, maybe.

Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
The problem is the manufacturers who are also trying to build the "best" piano. What they are learning is that simply building a great piano which may or may not be as good as a Steinway just isn't good enough. It's actually not even close.

From a German/European perspective I found this is not being necessarily true.

While there has always been a natural rivalry among the manufacturers, their markets and areas of influence - especially "locally speaking" - are long established.

Companies have learned over the years to respect each other.

Steinway may sell the most concert grands to world's stages, but Grotrian, Steingraeber, Sauter,Bluethner, Bosendorfer etc also sell all they [can] make.

In fact they seem more concerend to not imitate each other, trying to be more unique [if possible..] emphasizing on their own historical roots and identity instead.

Nobody there looks down on another one because these guys know full well there's "nothing to look down to"

Secretly they may mull "mine being finer than yours" but it's certainly not spoken out loud. Nor believed among themselves..

During piano shows you will often find these guys sitting together having a coffee or beer. Or at least shake hands and chat in the hallways.

Claims of supremacy are far less expressed over there because they know nobody would [easily] believe it.

These guys have been around a long time and know "who is who"
Their fathers, grandfathers knew each other and they've been at this game for a long time. Many of those who were trained by one end up working later for another....

In fact, traditionally speaking, there have always been established fan clubs for the Bluethner, Bechstein, Bosendorfer etc crowd.

"Live and let live", if you like.

"Vive la difference", is another...

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 06/24/13 01:37 AM.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Norbert

From a German/European perspective I found this is not being necessarily true.

While there has always been a natural rivalry over there, companies have also learned over the years to respect each other.

In fact they seem most concerend to not imitate each other and emphasize on their own historical roots and identity instead.

Nobody there looks down on another one because these guys know full well there's "nothing to look down to"

Secretly they may mull "mine being finer than yours" but it's certainly not spoken out loud. Nor believed among themselves..

During piano shows you will often find these guys sitting together having a coffee or beer. Or at least shake hands and chat in the hallways.

Claims of supremacy is far less expressed over there because they know nobody there would believe it.

These guys have been around a long time and know "who is who"

Many of those who were trained by one end up working for the other.

In fact, traditionally speaking, there have always been established fan clubs for the Bluethner, Bechstein, Bosendorfer etc crowd.

"Live and let live", if you like.

"Vive la difference", is another...

Norbert smile

Interesting post. It makes me think maybe it's just the american public that is a die hard Steinway consumer. Maybe because it's so rare that this country is making a truly great product. If not for Steinway, all we are left with is Chevy and Ford hahahaha smile

God Bless America, we have our own BMW right here in town!!!!

Can anyone on this forum perhaps confirm Norbert's post that lives in Europe? Is the Steinway the end all be all over there? Also, on a personal note, how much demand do you guys have for a NY made Steinway having the NY sound? Do you guys "dig" this? smile

(this is like talking to aliens, wow!!! There is a different world apart from the USA? No WAY!!!!!)

B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Norbert

Steinway may sell the most concert grands to world's stages, but Grotrian, Steingraeber, Sauter, Bluethner, Bosendorfer etc also sell all they [can] make.

Norbert smile

Steinway cannot sell all the pianos that they can make. Sometimes they have a backlog, and they reduce production. I suspect that is true of all of those other manufacturers as well. There is often more manufacturing capacity for high-end pianos than there are buyers.

Semipro Tech
B
B
Originally Posted by noambenhamou
Can anyone on this forum perhaps confirm Norbert's post that lives in Europe? Is the Steinway the end all be all over there? Also, on a personal note, how much demand do you guys have for a NY made Steinway having the NY sound? Do you guys "dig" this? smile

(this is like talking to aliens, wow!!! There is a different world apart from the USA? No WAY!!!!!)

Steinway is undoubted the most popular piano brand amoung concert pianists in the UK and Europe, but many more pianists here will (prefer to) play other brands, if they have access to them. It's just that most concert venues have Steinways, and the access to servicing etc that Steinway provides.

When a festival venue acquired a Bösendorfer Imperial a few years ago, they had several calls from concert pianists asking to be included in their program. Long-established Steinway Artists have also taken the opportunity to play other brands in concert, including Yamaha, when they had the chance. Steinway doesn't have the same stronghold on their Artists the way it has in USA. And there are pianists who prefer Fazioli.....and so on.

If music be the food of love, play on!
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
On both sides of the Atlantic, much depends on the ranking and visibility of the venue. Nobody is going to stop an artist from getting work where they can.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB

Steinway cannot sell all the pianos that they can make. Sometimes they have a backlog, and they reduce production. I suspect that is true of all of those other manufacturers as well. There is often more manufacturing capacity for high-end pianos than there are buyers.

Steinway is ramping up production in Hamburg. They say their bottom line was negatively impacted last year since the Hamburg plant was not able to meet the demand.

Gary
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Steinway sales and production have decreased quite dramatically in recent years so saying they sell fairly well is not so accurate. They certainly don't "fly out the door". It is true that the Steinway flagship store in Manhattan is apparently moving to another location.

I got some "spam" from Steinway today announcing a big, blowout sale of pianos used during the Cliburn

http://www.steinwaypianos.com/piano-sale

So obviously they're not flying off the shelves.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Originally Posted by BDB

Steinway is ramping up production in Hamburg. They say their bottom line was negatively impacted last year since the Hamburg plant was not able to meet the demand.

In your opinion, is there a relationship between increased production and reduction in quality control? In other words, now that they have to rush making more pianos, will the quality suffer?

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Originally Posted by BDB

Any figures?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
B
BDB Offline
B
For some of the makes, you can check the serial numbers in the Piano Atlas for an approximation. The named manufacturers' production varies quite a bit from year to year.

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Thrill Science
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

Steinway sales and production have decreased quite dramatically in recent years so saying they sell fairly well is not so accurate. They certainly don't "fly out the door". It is true that the Steinway flagship store in Manhattan is apparently moving to another location.

I got some "spam" from Steinway today announcing a big, blowout sale of pianos used during the Cliburn

http://www.steinwaypianos.com/piano-sale

So obviously they're not flying off the shelves.

So obviously, if you received the "spam," you joined the mailing list from the DFW Steinway Halls.

Marty in Minnesota

L
LFL Offline
L
I had the opportunity to talk with one of the Steinway brass at the Cliburn finals. They are "marketing" the Cliburn pianos (including those used at the host homes) as "limited edition", I believe. Not sure what is special about them, other than the potential historical significance. They might have a special marking.

Shigeru Kawai SK5L
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission