2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SMHaley Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Hi forum,

About to embark on restringing a Baldwin F. The current pins are 3/0 x 2 1/2" in the bass and 3/0 2 3/8" in the treble. The pinblock was appropriately snug throughout, tune held well. Could one get away with 3.5/0 x 2 3/8 Lo-Torq throughout the scale, or is it best to go all the way to 4/0?

I'm thinking I'll save doing a new pinblock for the next go around in say 10-20 years when it would probably be appropriate to also consider some bridge work as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
"F" was the forerunner of the SF10. Serial number would be helpful. Block may be too old, needing replacement. Nevertheless, examine the block thoroughly for splits. If it is still decent, oversize + 2 is usually recommended. So, that would require 5/0. Be sure and jack the block while driving the pins.

Last edited by bkw58; 06/22/13 07:24 AM. Reason: typo

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by bkw58
"F" was the forerunner of the SF10. Serial number would be helpful. Block may be too old, needing replacement. Nevertheless, examine the block thoroughly for splits. If it is still decent, oversize + 2 is usually recommended. So, that would require 5/0. Be sure and jack the block while driving the pins.

You can get Lo-Torq at 4.5/0 which would likely be suitable. Because the surface area increases faster than diameter as size goes up a 3/0 to 5/0 jump will tend to be tighter than a 2/0 to 4/0 jump.

If I repin, I always use Lo-Torq -- which is as expensive for materials as using a cheap block.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
Originally Posted by SMHaley
Hi forum,

About to embark on restringing a Baldwin F. The current pins are 3/0 x 2 1/2" in the bass and 3/0 2 3/8" in the treble. The pinblock was appropriately snug throughout, tune held well. Could one get away with 3.5/0 x 2 3/8 Lo-Torq throughout the scale, or is it best to go all the way to 4/0?

I'm thinking I'll save doing a new pinblock for the next go around in say 10-20 years when it would probably be appropriate to also consider some bridge work as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

If you can't replace the block, and the current pins are holding well right now,(and if they are smooth and easy to control) why not consider reusing them? I'm a big proponent of keeping the existing pins when restringing. As long as you form new coils on a dummy pin and only back the pin out 1 to 1.5 turns you shouldn't decrease the present torque at all. Works for me...

Keyboardist & Composer, Piano Technician
www.jamescarney.net
http://jamescarneypianotuning.wordpress.com/
S
SMHaley Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Bob, the serial is 146256 (ca. 1960 by my research). Presumably restrung once already, maybe in the early 80's. If it were really necessary to go all the way to 5/0 then I may as well jump off the deep end and do a new block with appropriate 2/0. Since the instrument is on site and can't be brought to my shop/workplace I'm trying to take a reasonable (if conservative) approach. Im still going through the rest of it so that it will look and perform well however.

James, I personally don't consider using existing pins the route I would prefer, especially since I'm going to the trouble to put everything back in to first rate condition, including re-lacquering. It would be a shame in mind to have a nicely repaired and refinished case and hardware with tired looking blued pins. Also, since there was an inconsistency in pin length (no idea why) I wanted to do the intelligent thing and get the thoughts of the forums more experienced techs/rebuilders.

Thanks all!

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Are you professional? If so, you should reflect that in a signature to your posts. It is a requirement of the board, and particularly important in this area, because it helps us formulate appropriate responses.

Semipro Tech
Are you going to remove the plate for refinishing? If so you should definitely replace the pinblock, or have it done for you. Not sure how you're going to be able to do this work "onsite" though...

Keyboardist & Composer, Piano Technician
www.jamescarney.net
http://jamescarneypianotuning.wordpress.com/
S
SMHaley Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
BDB, I'm not currently working in the trade professionally at this time. I did some mentoring/apprenticeship work with a tech more than a decade ago, and didn't quite get a job working for a rebuilding shop, which was ok since they closed and were absorbed by a dealer not long after. While I'm currently a pipe organ builder professionally, I still like to keep the piano tech skills fresh. I take care of a few instruments for a church, which is enough to keep me happy at present. While I've never done so, I'd like to think I'd have a good chance at passing the RPT testing.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
S
SMHaley Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
James, I wasn't necessarily going to take out the plate. The finish is actually in good shape. If a new pinblock was absolutely necessary then obviously I would just bite the bullet there as well.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
The Baldwin F is a serious instrument that demands respect. If the pins have been replaced before, best practice dictates replacing the block.

S
SMHaley Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Beethoven, I don't disagree. I considered it quite a fortuitous find given that it was retired from the fleet of a major university and at one heck of a good price given its potential value (if done right of course). If anything I'm slightly intimidated by going to the extent of a new block, because it has been quite a few years since I last did such extensive work, and then under the tutelage of a good tech. Perhaps a good tech in the Seattle area might be willing to serve in an advisory/mentoring capacity. If anyone has such a recommendation I'd be thrilled.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Beethoven, I don't disagree. I considered it quite a fortuitous find given that it was retired from the fleet of a major university and at one heck of a good price given its potential value (if done right of course). If anything I'm slightly intimidated by going to the extent of a new block, because it has been quite a few years since I last did such extensive work, and then under the tutelage of a good tech. Perhaps a good tech in the Seattle area might be willing to serve in an advisory/mentoring capacity. If anyone has such a recommendation I'd be thrilled.

LoTorq can be a legitimate, almost-equally-valid substitute for a new block.

If you do put in a new block, I'd recommend Falconwood -- the only pinblock that has never had a failure.

An onsite mentor in your area would be ideal. If you are interested in our DIY support, you can send me a PM.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
S
SMHaley Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks Keith. I'm sure I'll be calling upon your experience at some point. I'm fairly comfortable with the woodworking aspect of it and all the drilling work. So many holes is not unlike organ work, and the need for accuracy and caution at a drill press. I'm more concerned about a good fit to the plate since much of the initial shaping of the blank will have to be at my workplace whereas the piano is at the church. I suppose doing the rough shaping in shop and then taking select tools onsite for getting a good fit to the plate/flange is not out of the question though. I'm painfully aware this is a part where small errors can equal large expense if not done correctly the first time around.

Is it true that Baldwin pinblocks are fairly simple to remove and replace? I have seen a post or too eluding it doesn't get much easier.

What do you think Keith... is a new pinblock worth it for those fantastic new strings Ari is making for it, and all the rest I'm going to put on?

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
B
BDB Offline
B
Yes, Baldwin blocks are just flat planks screwed to the rim and plate, no glue. Fitting a board is not real difficult, but you will probably have to turn the plate upside-down to fit the new block.

If this is just going to stay in the church, then replacing the block is probably more effort than it is worth. I would just go up a couple of sizes of pin. Whether you use special pins, or just standard ones makes more difference to the tuner than to performance, and if a tuner cannot handle it, he or she is not much of a tuner.

Semipro Tech
S
SMHaley Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
BDB, well I do think that tuning an instrument should be as pleasant a process as possible... fussing with 5/0 eh... Especially if I'm going thru all the effort of making it as first class as it can be (which would suggest doing a new pinblock). Since I'm the one who will be doing all the concert prep, I think it is wise to make it easy on myself. In my piano experience I have never found myself in a position of restringing and repinning an instrument for the 2nd time around so thinking about new pinblocks and refinishing the plate is a little bit of a new experience. The only down side, if there really is one, is that it delays the availability to use the instrument at the beginning of the concert series.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Bob, the serial is 146256 (ca. 1960 by my research). Presumably restrung once already, maybe in the early 80's. If it were really necessary to go all the way to 5/0 then I may as well jump off the deep end and do a new block with appropriate 2/0. Since the instrument is on site and can't be brought to my shop/workplace I'm trying to take a reasonable (if conservative) approach. Im still going through the rest of it so that it will look and perform well however.

James, I personally don't consider using existing pins the route I would prefer, especially since I'm going to the trouble to put everything back in to first rate condition, including re-lacquering. It would be a shame in mind to have a nicely repaired and refinished case and hardware with tired looking blued pins. Also, since there was an inconsistency in pin length (no idea why) I wanted to do the intelligent thing and get the thoughts of the forums more experienced techs/rebuilders.

Thanks all!

Looks like you've been given much to consider. If you opt for a new block the only thing I'd add is to be sure you keep the drill bit real cool. Best wishes on your endeavor.

Bob W.
Conway, Arkansas
S
SMHaley Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
I've already got a chiller unit in mind Bob (Pianoteksupply is a great place). Probably should have had one of these at the shop on the main drill press years ago anyhow. Give the 60 gal compressor something to do other than just blow out dust and run nail guns.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
B
BDB Offline
B
I can say is that I never check the size of the tuning pins before I tune. It might be interesting to see if any of the other techs here do.

In any case, the torque will be higher the more surface area between the pin and the block no matter what the top of the pin is like. The amount of pitch change per degree of movement will depend on more than just the size of the tuning pin. The length of the piano should make more of a difference.

Semipro Tech

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
I can say is that I never check the size of the tuning pins before I tune. It might be interesting to see if any of the other techs here do...

I never did, either. 6/0 is commonly seen around these parts in some of the older "rebuilds." These were bit of a pain to deal with.

Bob W.
Conway, Arkansas
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Thanks Keith. I'm sure I'll be calling upon your experience at some point. I'm fairly comfortable with the woodworking aspect of it and all the drilling work. So many holes is not unlike organ work, and the need for accuracy and caution at a drill press. I'm more concerned about a good fit to the plate since much of the initial shaping of the blank will have to be at my workplace whereas the piano is at the church. I suppose doing the rough shaping in shop and then taking select tools onsite for getting a good fit to the plate/flange is not out of the question though. I'm painfully aware this is a part where small errors can equal large expense if not done correctly the first time around.

Is it true that Baldwin pinblocks are fairly simple to remove and replace? I have seen a post or too eluding it doesn't get much easier.

What do you think Keith... is a new pinblock worth it for those fantastic new strings Ari is making for it, and all the rest I'm going to put on?

The Baldwin block is easy enough to remove -- no glue or attachment to the front beam (stretcher). However, you must have the plate and block in the same location to do the fitting. (Yeah, you can fill the gaps with epoxy, but after witnessing failure with that approach, I think it best to meet Baldwin's minimum standard, which is contact between the plate flange and pinblock at least every 2 inches.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission