2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2104940 06/19/13 04:00 PM
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Today I practiced a new piece and than fiddled around. My teacher will be away for a few weeks and maybe a day or two break would be a good thing.

I just wonder how long is too long. This may be a silly question, but would three days be ok.

Thanks for being there. smile

musdan #2105032 06/19/13 07:51 PM
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Sometimes if you've been at it really hard, then I don't think a break of a day would kill you, but if you want to break for any longer, then I suggest re-evaluating why you spend time at the piano practicing. As an adult beginner, I've had many struggles with this, but through this website and various other sources, I've come to look at practicing as not "hard" or "a hassle" (I hate when given something to practice you don't like, your teacher says "the sooner you finish it, the sooner you can move on;" this is horrible advice) because whether you realize it or not, how you think of practicing - and thus your success with it or lack thereof - affects how effective your practicing will actually be. Pianist and pedagogue Seymour Bernstein devoted an entire book to effective practicing based on this idea (he even went on to argue that how you practice can positively or negatively affect all other aspects of your life as well, with which I agree). You need to look at practicing as a process that you enjoy if for no other reason than because you enjoy being at the piano and the results that manifest from said time spent practicing. Now mind you, I'm not saying that you should practice (and enjoy it) whether you're getting results or not, as I expect such patience of no one, but instead that you should practice always with specific goals in mind and a crystal clear understanding of how to reach said goals as there's no greater motivation than achieving what you want. If your current teacher can't convey this knowledge, then you may wish to re-think what you pay them for.

See the current on-going thread here for some more possible advice: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2104593.html#Post2104593

musdan #2105218 06/20/13 06:02 AM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I'm taken by both of the above posts. To musdan, I would say sure, a few days off from the piano won't hurt a thing, and neither would weeks off. Most pianists take breaks from their work, at any level of playing. What matters far more is your time and attitude while you are at the keyboard.

To bob, I would say bravo for this insightful post of yours, and thanks for the link to another PW thread.

musdan #2105234 06/20/13 08:15 AM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
On my main instrument (trombone) I haven't taken a day off in years.

But there are days when I'm fatigued, or things just aren't working. Then I just quickly touch a couple of fundamentals and put it away without guilt. For me that is much more effective than hammering away trying to get it going somehow.

gotta go practice

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission