2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, 11 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And a chapter should be devoted to her (since you've already given it away)students,since it includes one of the most impressive rosters of pianists imaginable.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
H
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by JBiegel
has anyone guessed who it is playing?

Not a guess and honestly I really didn't listen to the recording after a few seconds because of the irritating recording quality, but given the link, I found her in a few seconds anyway. So?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I received this link on Fb from someone I do not know--but the recording was on the radio and reproduced. Naturally, the sound quality is not up to par, but the central c minor section has some beautiful phrasing, etc. The pianism is of a by-gone era.

Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JBiegel
has anyone guessed who it is playing?

Yes, several! And they're keeping their mouths shut for now. smile

....I had no idea about the encore mishap, nor the fall. This is news to me--would love to know the sources and links to anything in print about these.

In case it might be helpful, here are some of the NY Times articles that I saw. I'll give dates, together with links (although as noted, you might need to do some kind of subscription to pull up the articles):

NY Debut -- article on 2/26/1929

Great review of Town Hall recital -- 3/20/1937

Short article about canceled recital -- 10/13/1945

Review with some shortcomings noted -- 1/26/1949

Ditto, and a bit more so -- 2/19/1955

Originally Posted by Hakki
....I really didn't listen to the recording after a few seconds because of the irritating recording quality....

I know that many people feel that way, but to me that's absolutely not an issue at all. If anything, it's a positive (really!), because:

-- I associate it with a time when the styles of playing were more what I love

-- I associate it with real representations of the playing, as opposed to edited recordings.

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Hey Mark, would it be a silly thing to ask for you to quote those articles mentioned here? It's easy to do copy/paste, if you're up for it - a few quotes at least could be interesting smile

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
She must have been a considerable force in piano pedagogy, given the list of her students who went on to international careers as concert pianists.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
She stopped formal performing and devoted her life to teaching. Byron Janis was her student, and then she started to crank out artists left and right. I believe John Browning and Van Cliburn went to her before big competitions, but it had to be hush hush!! She had a way of opening her students' ears and minds to how they produce sound based on the composers' indications. She hated poor rhythm, ugly sound, poor pedaling, and insensitivity to harmonic structure, or tempi too fast or too slow. She sang when she taught, almost 100% of the time. She showed her students how to get the sound they wanted, how close or far to be from the keys,curved or flat fingers, wrist flexibility, etc etc. I went to her when she was already 70, so she had less patience for anything less than the standards she had been accustomed to. Many could not withstand the tutelage, many could. I had my ups and downs tooBut I learned so much about sound and interpretation which stays with me as I make my own decisions now.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Jeffrey: Great to have you on here. Your observations are very interesting and revealing, including because of how her teaching emphasized qualities that she herself had in abundance in her performing. I might add that if we want to engage in fantasy and amateur armchair psychoanalysis (and BTW IMO even a psychiatrist or psychologist is just an amateur when it comes to analyzing things from afar!), we could easily make up some things about how aspects of her approach toward students had effects from her possible disappointments and frustrations. Well, I guess I just did grin ....but it's nothing more than amateur stuff, really no better than your average high school or college student trying to analyze the characters in a novel.

Originally Posted by fnork
Hey Mark, would it be a silly thing to ask for you to quote those articles mentioned here? It's easy to do copy/paste, if you're up for it - a few quotes at least could be interesting smile

I would have if I could have. The articles open in "Preview" for me. For reasons beyond my IT understanding, sometimes things that open for me in Preview are copy/pastable and sometimes they aren't; the Times articles aren't. Unless you or someone can tell me something to try other than the usual ways of copy/pasting....

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
There's the possibility to do a screenshot I guess, but really, no need to bother going through that hassle of uploading jpg files here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission