2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2104118 06/17/13 11:20 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
This is my thinking as a result of entering this domain. Progress will be made. Writing is another of my passions so forgive my 'wordiness' but it goes with that part of my character that 'hides' from the public eye. Music is another way to communicate but as yet not so well practised. I know that some of you will know what I'm writing about!

Web Site Newbie.

I've gotten used to using e-mails. That's a given today.
Even Facebook, once you know what limits you are comfortable with. My use is minimal even though I have lots of 'friends'.
I've done quite a few on-line classes which have been wonderful experiences though contacts are usually shed after the last session.
This Piano World web site is a different experience yet again.

I've learned a few things browsing around for myself.
Conversations, threads, flow in a time-line of submission sequence and if I comment on one, perhaps done way-back-when, it gets posted up on the newest page, not following the one I'm responding to.
There can be quite a lot of comments in between.
I shall have to learn how to get quotes out of postings if I find I'm late in responding.
Or - comment straight away once a posting is up.
So I tried getting e-mail notifications when there is a new submission, but then when I checked my email box, there were 60+ new notes!
Even as I tried to read and reply to the ones that I wanted to respond to, new ones kept coming in! This is a very busy web site! I quickly went and unchecked the notification box!

I see that I can have a 'watch list' in MyStuff. This must be the way to go. And before long I'm sure to get a sense of who is who and what their different specialties are.
Everyone is so supportive and willing to share their knowledge. That is so heartwarming.

As yet I haven't really explored the different recital pages. There seem to be quite a few different ones. I get a feeling that this is the backbone of Piano World, it's raison d'être.

I happened upon the Quarterly recitals and was mightily impressed. Not just with the mere number of submissions, but the range of abilities, and the responses.
There is an incredible outpouring of support and of critique for those asking for some feedback. Detailed pointers of particular ways notes are played, from people who know what they are talking about - like a private little master class which we on-liners can share.
I found your spread sheet for responses and again was amazed at how well everything is organized. One day maybe I'll feel able to actually use it! So far I've only made the random response to the random pieces I've listened to because I'm sure the people must like to know that they are listened to.

I was also surprised at the different way people posted their stuff. There's youtube, box, and a lot of others I was totally unaware of out there in the web. And then there's anything from iphone recordings to midi files and practically professional recordings.
It means as soon as I discover a way to record myself and get up courage to post it, then I'm good to go and needn't be intimidated by the technology. That will be on the Ecco Fatto Cafe thread of course! I read a long thread that tells how frustrating it can be for those of us who are Hi-Tec Challenged!

The other special recitals, themes, and different composers pieces are incredible.
I have enjoyed just randomly picking something to listen to and have started a list of things I'd like to play too. It also is a great way to find out how some pieces do sound from people I've kind of know rather than just search anonymous youtube submissions.

As a web site newbie admitting to being over 60, who knows no-one else who plays piano, other than my teacher, I am beginning to feel very comfortable with an on-line presence in an on-line piano playing community. From the odd video submitted none of you have blue skin so this virtual world is not so strange after all!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Unless I find myself with a lot of spare time, I generally don't visit the other forums of the website (piano forum, pianist corner, composer's lounge, etc.) as there's just too much to read! With my ability level and interests, this forum is best for me anyways.

Welcome to the forum. Read to your fullest and absorb all that you're able.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Palmpirate, I have read your post, here:

This is my thinking as a result of entering this domain. Progress will be made. Writing is another of my passions so forgive my 'wordiness' but it goes with that part of my character that 'hides' from the public eye. Music is another way to communicate but as yet not so well practised. I know that some of you will know what I'm writing about!

Web Site Newbie.

I've gotten used to using e-mails. That's a given today.
Even Facebook, once you know what limits you are comfortable with. My use is minimal even though I have lots of 'friends'.
I've done quite a few on-line classes which have been wonderful experiences though contacts are usually shed after the last session.
This Piano World web site is a different experience yet again.

I've learned a few things browsing around for myself.
Conversations, threads, flow in a time-line of submission sequence and if I comment on one, perhaps done way-back-when, it gets posted up on the newest page, not following the one I'm responding to.
There can be quite a lot of comments in between.
I shall have to learn how to get quotes out of postings if I find I'm late in responding.
Or - comment straight away once a posting is up.
So I tried getting e-mail notifications when there is a new submission, but then when I checked my email box, there were 60+ new notes!
Even as I tried to read and reply to the ones that I wanted to respond to, new ones kept coming in! This is a very busy web site! I quickly went and unchecked the notification box!

I see that I can have a 'watch list' in MyStuff. This must be the way to go. And before long I'm sure to get a sense of who is who and what their different specialties are.
Everyone is so supportive and willing to share their knowledge. That is so heartwarming.

As yet I haven't really explored the different recital pages. There seem to be quite a few different ones. I get a feeling that this is the backbone of Piano World, it's raison d'être.

I happened upon the Quarterly recitals and was mightily impressed. Not just with the mere number of submissions, but the range of abilities, and the responses.
There is an incredible outpouring of support and of critique for those asking for some feedback. Detailed pointers of particular ways notes are played, from people who know what they are talking about - like a private little master class which we on-liners can share.
I found your spread sheet for responses and again was amazed at how well everything is organized. One day maybe I'll feel able to actually use it! So far I've only made the random response to the random pieces I've listened to because I'm sure the people must like to know that they are listened to.

I was also surprised at the different way people posted their stuff. There's youtube, box, and a lot of others I was totally unaware of out there in the web. And then there's anything from iphone recordings to midi files and practically professional recordings.
It means as soon as I discover a way to record myself and get up courage to post it, then I'm good to go and needn't be intimidated by the technology. That will be on the Ecco Fatto Cafe thread of course! I read a long thread that tells how frustrating it can be for those of us who are Hi-Tec Challenged!

The other special recitals, themes, and different composers pieces are incredible.
I have enjoyed just randomly picking something to listen to and have started a list of things I'd like to play too. It also is a great way to find out how some pieces do sound from people I've kind of know rather than just search anonymous youtube submissions.

As a web site newbie admitting to being over 60, who knows no-one else who plays piano, other than my teacher, I am beginning to feel very comfortable with an on-line presence in an on-line piano playing community. From the odd video submitted none of you have blue skin so this virtual world is not so strange after all!

Welcome.

Well, you are doing very well as a Newbie. I have been here about a year. I have learned a lot from people and their awesome posts full of helpful information for a person playing the piano for 2 years. This is my only connection to the internet - except reading online world news and this is my only connection to the piano world except looking for piano music/material at a local music store.

So reading your post, filled my brain with lots of information about this site that I didn't know existed.

But learning to play the piano and reading the posts, keeps me busy.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Palmpirate

I shall have to learn how to get quotes out of postings...

You can certainly learn this! Look for the button that says "Quote" below a reply. When you click it, the whole post will appear in a reply box. You can edit out what you don't want to include (as I have done above.

Just make sure to keep brackets around the word quote at the beginning and /quote at the end.

Learner
I dont know anyone else who plays... apart from my tutors son.

Welcome aboard.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I like to keeps my posts short lol

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
You are so right -there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here, and a desire to share and help. What super combinations!

I too rarely stray out of the ABF forum - I find the folks in the Pianist Corner are too aggressive for my taste (not always, but a great deal of the time!) -- the Teacher's forum is interesting.

Our Quarterly recitals - and various others, - give many of us a chance to perform "publicly". An opportunity not always available in real life.

It is amazing how well you can get to know some of the folks you read regularly - and it is great fun to see folks who started playing at about the same year (or age) as you did and share your progress.

There are also some LIVE get togethers with members meeting up for piano parties. In the past year there have been 2-3 in Colorado and one in Arizona. Next month there's the first PW European Piano Party taking place in Brussels.

This forum just adds a whole new dimension of fun to the great joys we have playing piano!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

malkin #2104331 06/18/13 11:38 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by malkin

I shall have to learn how to get quotes out of postings...

You can certainly learn this!

LIKE THAT!

Thanks malkin, That's so easy. It's like when my boys had to show me the power button when I claimed my computer wouldn't work!

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by casinitaly

and a desire to share and help. What super combinations!

I too rarely stray out of the ABF forum

Our Quarterly recitals - and various others, -An opportunity not always available in real life.

It is amazing how well you can get to know some of the folks you read regularly

There are also some LIVE
2-3 in Colorado

This forum just adds a whole new dimension

I am 'integrating ' my latest skill learned from malkin here with the 'quotes' casinitaly.

For me I know there is no where else I'll play except at home so this will be interesting once I do submit something!

I have two sons in Boulder and I am there now just for a short visit. It might be fun to keep in contact with the CO folks if they get together again.

ABF seems to be where I find people talking about things I readily relate to so feel comfortable here. Looking at the yearly questionnaire I think I ' fit' in the profile of the majority! Older, returning, and a bit apprehensive of my skills alongside so many much more experienced and younger starlets. But as you say, their desire to help and willingness to share is a super combination.

I shall keep exploring and getting to know this new dimension in my life!.

Last edited by Palmpirate; 06/18/13 12:03 PM.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Earlofmar, I recognize your signature about endurance sport and piano playing! Your posts may be short but sweet and always appreciated I'm sure. Isn't it great that there's no such thing as snail mail for far away places on the Internet.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
UKPaulUK . You're the one with Royal Connections- word gets around! What a thrill and congrats to her.
It is great to find other phantom pianists out there. It's a lonely undertaking and sometimes hard to think why I bother when practise gets tough or progress slow.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Michael_99
Palmpirate,

So reading your post, filled my brain with lots of information about this site that I didn't know existed.

But learning to play the piano and reading the posts, keeps me busy.

I find i have to watch the time once i get on this site! I find it full of interesting aspects to piano and music in general. Already I have expanded my interest a little discovering what a 'walking bass line' is in jazz. I'd never have looked it up unless i'd read something about it in the non-classical thread.

I think that amongst your various talents must be a poet. I've written a lot in my lifetime and love that you use that medium to express your thoughts! Your past posts will make a lovely anthology should you ever go in that direction!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am 'integrating ' my latest skill learned from malkin here with the 'quotes' casinitaly.

Now you can refine that new skill.

If you only want to quote a small part of someones post, but want the quote identified ala the "originally posted by SoandSo" banner, then here's what you do.

1 - copy the words or phrase(s) you want to quote
2 - go to a full screen reply box and paste that in.
3 - using the cursor, highlight what you've just pasted in and then click on the quotation mark icon above the reply box ( " next to #). Now your phrase will have the word quote in brackets at the start and /unquote in brackets at the end.
4 - Last step. Go to the word quote and change it to quote=SoAndSoPoster , keeping it in the brackets.

Bingo, you should get something like

Originally Posted by SoAndSoPoster
here's my quoted phrase

much easier than it sounds, just try it.

Last edited by JimF; 06/18/13 05:29 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Bobpickle
.......there's just too much to read!

Welcome .......

Thank you Bobpickle. I know what you mean but i find it all so fascinating that people of such a diverse collection gravitate here and share a common interest. From all over the globe there is encouragement and enthusiasm for those amongst us taking the tiniest of babysteps on this shared journey.

JimF #2104553 06/18/13 05:58 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JimF

If this works then Thanks Jim F. I'll have to persevere a bit. First time around took a while!

Last edited by Palmpirate; 06/18/13 05:58 PM.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Way to go Palmpirate!
What an excellent student you are!

Learner
F
F
Thanks malkin, That's so easy. It's like when my boys had to show me the power button when I claimed my computer wouldn't work!

Haha...that was good.

Welcome!

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF

If this works then Thanks Jim F. I'll have to persevere a bit. First time around took a while!

Bingo. Well done.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by floydthebarber71

Haha...that was good.

Welcome!

thanks,Floydthebarber71,they thought it was funny too!

malkin #2105013 06/19/13 07:13 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Malkin, the compliment is returned!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission