Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
108 registered members (Beowulf, AnthonyPaulO, Beardog, AAC127, ando, AZNpiano, 36251, 28 invisible), 1,040 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How much is this Casio repair likely to cost #2103756
06/17/13 09:56 AM
06/17/13 09:56 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
BillTheSlink Offline OP
BillTheSlink  Offline OP

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I have a Casio PX-350 that I hadn't played for months due to carpel tunnel. I went to play today and discovered my soon to be ex-cat, which is going to the pound as soon as I get my cat carrier back, had urinated on the keyboard. I cleaned up the effected two keys with Windex, waited for it to dry, and then powered it up. No issues were noticed at first. Then I got to playing scales and found a key was dead well up the keyboard from the targeted spot. The next two keys down from it were low in volume. I just bought this keyboard, along with stand and pedal kit, after last Christmas as a reward for myself for quitting smoking after all these years. It may not even be from the urine as those weren't the two keys she wet on. It was well away from that. I don't know what to do. I am disabled and on a fixed income. If I take it in for warranty work and they say it was from that and charge me a check out charge I wouldn't be able to pay it. What do you guys suggest I do? Is there some way I could look at fixing it myself?

Casio CGP 700 and love it. Learning with Alfred's All in One. I have a real live teacher now!
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: How much is this Casio repair likely to cost [Re: BillTheSlink] #2103760
06/17/13 10:11 AM
06/17/13 10:11 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
I spilt beer over my organ years ago, on more than one occasion. It dried withot any ill effect (other than the smell which brought a smile to my face). But it did sound funny until it dried . . . .

Hope yours sorts itself out; maybe it has by now.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: How much is this Casio repair likely to cost [Re: BillTheSlink] #2103762
06/17/13 10:13 AM
06/17/13 10:13 AM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
The dead key is obviously unrelated to the cat, so I wouldn't feel guilty at all taking it in for warranty work, if it is still under warranty. (and no, I wouldn't tell them about the cat)

Just tell them to fix whatever they can on warranty, and warn them you won't pay for any nonwarranty repairs, and let them have it.

Probably they'll send it back for replacement, I doubt if anybody works on these.

If you can't get warranty repairs, you may have to work on it yourself.

gotta go practice
Re: How much is this Casio repair likely to cost [Re: BillTheSlink] #2103767
06/17/13 10:22 AM
06/17/13 10:22 AM
Vught, The Netherlands
Dave Horne Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
Perhaps the cat was making an editorial comment. They're a lot smarter than you think.

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How much is this Casio repair likely to cost [Re: Dave Horne] #2103811
06/17/13 12:16 PM
06/17/13 12:16 PM
Virginia, USA
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
TimR  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
T

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
Perhaps the cat was making an editorial comment. They're a lot smarter than you think.

Very true..........but then we need to know which two keys.

gotta go practice
Re: How much is this Casio repair likely to cost [Re: Dave Horne] #2103841
06/17/13 01:03 PM
06/17/13 01:03 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
BillTheSlink Offline OP
BillTheSlink  Offline OP

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by Dave Horne

If the comment was about my playing, she is smart. I am a rank beginner. I had to start over today with Ode to Joy in Alfred's. If she was making a comment on the Casio she isn't, or at least she isn't value conscious. The Casio surprises me every time on how good it made me sound, especially on the organs. I honestly didn't think I would get such a good sound and touch from something in its price range. Of course if the dead key was unrelated as one poster said, then perhaps it wasn't such a bargain. It saw very little use and was always kept under a cover.

I have decided to spay the cat and give her one last chance. If she sprays one more thing then I will get out the .357, take her out on the porch, and bang! all over. It isn't like she would have a chance at the shelter anyway. She was feral and fell down my storm sewer. After trying to fish her out myself and her running away down the drain for three days I paid $75 bucks for a cage trap and another 30 bucks to the neighborhood drunk to go down in there, set the trap, and then feed the trap up to me once she was caught. She still is plum wild and won't let you hold her. She isn't really good for anything except running up the grocery bill each month. The stupid cat has cost me a ton of money and in return she might let me pet her once a month. She wouldn't have a chance at adoption at the shelter. They have hundreds of really good and nice looking cats on death row as it is. What really makes it worse is she is awful to look at. She has a face like a bat and the time she spent down the sewer as a half grown kitten stunted her growth and she is the smallest cat you ever saw. I swear I am a sucker.

Casio CGP 700 and love it. Learning with Alfred's All in One. I have a real live teacher now!
Re: How much is this Casio repair likely to cost [Re: TimR] #2104073
06/17/13 09:42 PM
06/17/13 09:42 PM
O
o0Ampy0o Offline
500 Post Club Member
o0Ampy0o  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

It is possible that a dead key is directly related to the cat pee. Had you played that key before? If it has not been used much it would not go dead sitting idle. The Casio PX350 has an extended warranty (3 years total) if you register on the Casio website.

Liquid could travel, stream down to other areas of the keyboard. Cats shoot urine. It doesn't fall out of them like pouring a glass of water. I don't know the mechanics of a digital keyboard but it seems like a contact could be obstructed/inhibited by a liquid that leaves residue if it did not cause a short outright.

I'd want that keyboard cleaned. If it doesn't already, it is going to smell given time. I would be seriously tempted to void the warranty or have an authorized repairman pull that thing apart, thoroughly inspect and clean it if it were me.

Just an aside, I have a Casio DP and looked up the closest authorized warranty repair shop's location using Google Maps. They have an actual photograph of the building. Only based on the external appearance I hope I never have to use them. If the need arises I'll decide whether or not to take it to whom I choose at my own expense after I meet the people who will do any work.

I highly recommend buying and keeping a keyboard cover on that piano when you are not using it. After this incident I would even cut a large piece of plastic to the size of the slab and lay it down then use one of these over the plastic and the instrument. $22 well spent even if it is locking the barn door after the horse has escaped. If there is a cat repellant I would apply it to the cover as well.

[Linked Image]

You should wait for more responses here and search around the web for other outlets/forums to elicit advice before taking action.

As soon as a repairman sees (smells?) a residue that urine would produce he is going to realize something was spilled on the instrument at the least.

Re: How much is this Casio repair likely to cost [Re: o0Ampy0o] #2104091
06/17/13 10:30 PM
06/17/13 10:30 PM
P
PossumES8Krome61 Online content
500 Post Club Member
PossumES8Krome61  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P

I understand your frustration as it is a new product. I would encourage you not to mention any of this when taking it in for repair.

One time I had roomates who sat a pumpkin on top of a tv and it dripped in and fried the circuit board; they didn't mention the pumpkin, the repairment thought something leaked but did not refuse to replace and/or fix the product.

I returned my second PX350; I was not satisfied with the soft speakers and uneven key spacing. Wasn't acceptable to me

Kawai Es8
Korg Krome 61
Yamaha P125

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CHECK OUT LOT 60
by martin snow. 03/20/19 07:28 PM
regrets
by dolce sfogato. 03/20/19 06:24 PM
Semi Concert Grand Blind Test
by Keith D Kerman. 03/20/19 05:57 PM
Kawai CA98
by Nordomus. 03/20/19 04:24 PM
How to master new skills with 'deliberate practice'
by thepianoplayer416. 03/20/19 02:30 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,008
Posts2,808,699
Members92,831
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission