2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mark R.
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
G-Maj. and F-Maj. are the second easiest keys and they are pretty far from C.

Am I missing something? G and F are as close to C as one can get.

Actually, on a modern piano they are both about 7cm away from C. C# is much closer, being only 1cm away. It is surprising that more pieces weren't written in C# in the Baroque era.
Regards.

BDB #2103735 06/17/13 08:45 AM

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
It seems odd that someone would spend 1300 words writing about something that most of his customers apparently cannot differentiate.

It seems odd that someone would take the time to count the words in a post.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

You are missing the fact that I am referring to keyboard location and that they are the next easiest keys for a pianist to play.

Playing a Theremin solves the problem completely and never needs to be tuned!

Marty in Minnesota

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mwm,

The preponderance of compositions in the keys you list is the ease of performance, rather than tuning temperament. It's where beginning students start, and for the overwhelming majority of pianists, it is still the comfort zone. G-Maj. and F-Maj. are the second easiest keys and they are pretty far from C.

When you think of key signatures in the order of the circle of fifths, then C is right between G and F! Does that clear this up?

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonTuner
Mwm,

The preponderance of compositions in the keys you list is the ease of performance, rather than tuning temperament. It's where beginning students start, and for the overwhelming majority of pianists, it is still the comfort zone. G-Maj. and F-Maj. are the second easiest keys and they are pretty far from C.

When you think of key signatures in the order of the circle of fifths, then C is right between G and F! Does that clear this up?

I am not talking about the circle of fifths. I'm talking about the damn keyboard. Read what I wrote!

Marty in Minnesota

M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
OK people. Calm down. We are likely talking at cross purposes here. A discussion of ET,WT,UT always seems to degenerate by this point. I too contribute to that sad decline.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
All discussion of ET/UT tends to degenerate from the first post. Loren is well aware of this - some people just love the controversy!

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by RonTuner
Mwm,

I am not talking about the circle of fifths. I'm talking about the damn keyboard. Read what I wrote!

Greetings,
When we talk about distance between keys in a temperament discussion, it is generally accepted that we are not talking about physical distance between the keys, but the distance around the circle off fifths, ie, F# is as far from C as possible, and almost as far from F. This position in the circle correlates to the width of the tonic third.

The majority of piano music is written in keys that are closer to C than F#. If you compile the usage charts, you will see that C was the most commonly used key, F and G are second, and D and Bb follow them in use. This progression continues through all the keys, with B, F#, C# being the least used. This holds true for Schubert, Mozart, Beethoven, and most others. Chopin is the exception, but only in the polarity, his usage of the keys is almost exactly opposite all the others.

If we plot the prevalence of keys's use through the ages, we find that in the Meantone era, 1300-1700, the eight keys closest to C were virtually all that was used, clear evidence of the restrictive wolf in that 1/4 C tuning. Beginning around 1700, or perhaps a few decades before, we begin to see a more democratic use, as the circulating tunings came into use. This use was still lopsided, with the remote keys being rarely used. The usage becomes gradually more democratic over the next 200 years, and by the 1900's there was little pattern or correlation between the temperament and the key's selection. I suspect that as music left the strict tonal forms of the Classical era behind, the UT's value and influence faded, and ET became more prevalent.

Beethoven actually preferred Eb more than any other key, and I suspect that harmonically, it offered a wider palette for modulation, in that moving in one direction heightened musical tension, while going the other way entered very calm spaces. In most WT, Eb (and A) are virtually identical to ET, and for LVB, Eb could possibly have been the harmonic home base that was easiest to start from.
Regards,

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Contending for a point without becoming contentious is a challenge for us all - especially on Monday mornings. smile

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
It seems odd that someone would spend 1300 words writing about something that most of his customers apparently cannot differentiate.

It seems odd that someone would take the time to count the words in a post.

10 seconds of copying and pasting is all it takes - even the most basic word processor has a word counting tool.

But I'm sure BDB didn't know this, and counted through Bill's post by hand. smile

P.S.: When learning the piano, I never progressed from C major to B major or C# major just because they were the "closest" on the (damn) keyboard. Perhaps my teacher was wrong to let me progress more or less along the circle of fifths? Pity she isn't alive anymore, otherwise I'd demand my parents' money back. wink

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It does not take 10 seconds nor cutting nor pasting. I used an OS X service to give me the statistics for the selection.

Semipro Tech

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Let me try this again.

* Beginning piano students, especially children, are not taught the circle of fifths before they learn that the key of G has one sharp.

* A piano teacher does not teach beginning students the key of F or G because the teacher understands the harmonic relation within the circle of fifths.

* Those keys are the next easiest to learn to play, that is the only reason they are taught in that sequence.

* It happens before any discussion of major or minor keys. Accidentals are still further down the road. No, the F# in the key of G-Major is not an accidental.

* It certainly has nothing to do with temperament.

I posted that I asked for one of my pianos to be tuned in a non-equal temperament using A-442 as the basis for the setting of the temperament octave. Though my tuner was hesitant, he did what I asked. He knew me, my pianistic skills, and I had the checkbook. (Sorry to be so crass)

The reason I wanted to try this is because I have a great deal of experience as an orchestral instrumentalist, as well as a pianist. As I stated previously, orchestral musicians temper their concept of key color from A as being the center, not from C.

I used the example of playing a concerto in G-Major on a piano which had a non-equal temperament based on A. This shifts the whole key color (aural) identification. It becomes more natural to the ear of orchestral musicians than does a non-equal temperament based on C.

To be honest, it doesn't matter at all about the history of tuning temperaments on fixed pitch instruments, such as the piano. It was nothing more than a request, an attempt, to more closely match one of my pianos to how I hear key color (temperament) as expressed in orchestral performance. It is a departure from standard practice which achieved it's goal.

For those of you who are comfortable tuning in non-equal temperaments, you might give it a try and make your own assessment on the results.

Marty in Minnesota

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
All:

If you want just intonation with fixed pitch instruments, you can only have a few notes. (Work it out yourself.) And if you want just intonation with changeable pitched intruments (or voice), you can have only major and minor triads - no sixths or sevenths. Only the simpliest music can be in just intonation. What some may consider to be just intonation is the real compromise. I see nothing in ET that is a compromise. Equal is equal, not a compromise.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
All:

If you want just intonation with fixed pitch instruments, you can only have a few notes.

Or a whole bunch. Harry Partch used 69 notes per octave.

Semipro Tech
Mwm #2103857 06/17/13 01:39 PM
M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mwm

Actually, on a modern piano they are both about 7cm away from C. C# is much closer, being only 1cm away. It is surprising that more pieces weren't written in C# in the Baroque era.
Regards.

I do hope that those of you who mentioned the physical distance of keys from C realized that I was joking.

M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
It is possible to play a DP in just intonation using Justonics software. You tell the software where the modulations are, and how you want to shift to occur. Then when you play the work, it adjusts the pitch of each note/chord on the fly. Very cool.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As I stated previously, orchestral musicians temper their concept of key color from A as being the center, not from C.

My checkbook isn't nearly as expansive as yours, but I've played in five symphony orchestras, albeit provincial ones, for the better part of 20 years.

If (IF!!) this assertion of yours were true, it would mean that A major represents the most "well" key. It would further mean that each of these pairs are equally "colored":
E major (+1, 4 sharps) and D Major (-1, 2 sharps)
B major (+2, 5 sharps) and G major (-2, 1 sharp)
F# major (+3, 6 sharps) and C major (-3, no sharps/flats)
C# major (+4, 7 sharps) and F major (-4, 1 flat)
G# major (+5, 8 sharps) and Bb major (-5, 2 flats)

Truth be told, I have never heard of such a notion.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Well Mark R., that means that you heard "such a notion" here first. Congratulations!

In all five of your provincial orchestras, to what note did you tune?

That is the choice I made with my own piano. It works well.

Marty in Minnesota

M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Well Mark R., that means that you heard "such a notion" here first. Congratulations!

In all five of your provincial orchestras, to what note did you tune?

That is the choice I made with my own piano. It works well.

Marty,
I think we may not be on the same page here. Are you saying that you could or would play Mozart Piano Concerto Op. 5, No. 4 in E flat on a piano using 1/4 comma meantone based on A? If you do, you will playing with the tonic on the 'wolf'. Even using just about any other WT, such as Young 1799, which would work beautifully with orchestra based on C, but would still be fairly wild based on A. Your thoughts?

Mwm #2103986 06/17/13 06:18 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mwm
Originally Posted by Olek
Based on C

That said older music I (mean before Internet) is played with A=415 Hz , half a tone lower.

We perform French Baroque music at A=392 Hz.

And Italian early baroque a minor third higher.

Kees

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission