2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,227 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

I'd be more interested if someone else were doing the interview.

I've found much if not most of his stuff off-putting, and I'm not a fan of how he operates. He writes and talks about what he doesn't know, often provocatively, and sometimes frankly mistakenly. Sorry. smile

OP Offline
Ah, who cares. He helped me beat down EMI … grin

Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Ah, who cares. He helped me beat down EMI … grin

I'll drink to that! (And I don't even drink.) ha

I know how it is. I've had some real ____s become almost sort of friends for life because they did me a big favor. Which I guess means they're not really ____s. smile

A
A
Actually Valentina gave a very in-depth summary of her life in an hour long interview on that site (the video is only a very short snippet, the audio-only file is more complete). Very interesting and entertaining listening which can be found here:

http://sinfinimusic.com/uk/listen/2013/06/valentina-lisitsa-interview/

Highly recommended if you are a fan or just curious about the person behind the "phenomenon".

I particularly liked the insight about how, for her, pieces for the soviet style competitions were just like "work" back then, but musicality was reserved for other non-competitive pieces. There is the fact that she has had to play pieces like La Campanella for those competitions since back decades ago now, so much so that she says she can play it pretty much upside down in her sleep, so it is no surprise she can just reel it off anytime.

The other thing I found interesting was the fact that she was not really influenced by more famous pianists like Horowitz. She likes to say that she studies with "dead people", for example, recordings by Rachmaninov. One anecdote was that one of her earlier teachers would bring in 3 recordings of Rach's Prelude in G minor, played by Richter, Rachmaninov and Rubinstein, and get the class to identify which was which. I wish I could do that to heavily biased punters who like to trash pianists they look down on (usually in an effort to make them seem like they have a "superior" sense of taste)... I bet a substantial portion of them won't pass that double blind test.

She also talks about Youtube and her experiments with allowing the audience to vote on what she should play, to basically involve the audience, and entice the younger generation for the benefit of the future of the art.

I recently attended Lisitsa's recital, and while there were some things not to my taste (and taste is a purely subjective, and changeable, thing), it was still a very impressive performance. Her technique is incredible and probably allows her to rush some things a bit too much because it is so effortless for her. But the standout thing for me was her warmth. She actually stood, mic in hand, and addressed the audience for a good 20 mins before the recital, and gave a few entertaining anecdotes about her life and some interesting yet obscure facts about the pieces she was about to play. This was very effective at breaking the ice and endearing herself to the audience and making everyone more receptive to just enjoying the recital. I wish more performers were as accessible as her, which would make classical piano music reach a much wider audience instead of the snooty attitudes which put people off.

Last edited by Acca; 06/15/13 11:48 AM.
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I'd be more interested if someone else were doing the interview.

I've found much if not most of his stuff off-putting, and I'm not a fan of how he operates. He writes and talks about what he doesn't know, often provocatively, and sometimes frankly mistakenly. Sorry. smile

But he seems to mostly operate in the background of this video, saying a sentence every once in a while but letting Lisitsa do most of the talk, so, no worries laugh

Originally Posted by fnork
But he seems to mostly operate in the background of this video, saying a sentence every once in a while but letting Lisitsa do most of the talk, so, no worries laugh

Good point. smile
But that's how I'm inclined to take anything with him involved in it, as per what I said over here too.

I don't mean he's evil or anything like that grin ....just that he's not my style. There's enough good stuff to look at from people who aren't turnoffs, isn't there....

Just like some people here enjoy having the "Ignore" thing. I don't think I'd ever use it, and there aren't many people in real life I would like to have on Ignore. But he's certainly one of them. smile

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I don't mean he's evil or anything like that grin ....

A part of him certainly is, though smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Is the interviewer that bad? I don't know anything about him and I listened to the whole podcast and didn't really notice anything. It was mostly Valentina Lisitsa talking. And there's a youtube comment saying "who is the interviewer-- he comes across as so inept"

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
I'm not talking at all about this interview (didn't look at it). For all I know, it could be great.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just listened! Liked it! She's very endearing.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission