2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 14 invisible), 1,833 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2102145 06/13/13 07:22 PM
P
OP Offline
P
I will be beginning Randy Potter's course very soon and was just thinking about what I should do after I finish studying. How do I go about beginning tuning pianos? Any tips for beginners would be appreciated.

I am somewhat nervous about this because I have a bit of an introverted personality and I am young and female. I worry if potential clients will take me seriously or not(although I know that if I don't take myself seriously no one else will).

Anyways my real question is, after finishing the course(or during the course), who do I contact, what kinds of things should I be preparing etc.?

Will I need a paid domain name or can I use a free website in the beginning?

When should I be joining the Piano Technicians Guild, and what are some of the benefits of being a member?

Are there any free resources you used to learn the business stuff? Any good business books? How do you talk to potential clients on the phone? Where are some common places to advertise?

Thank you for reading.

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Join the PTG now. Find a local chapter and start going to meetings.
Get to know the members and see if you can find someone to mentor you - this will help a great deal with your correspondence course.
Check out the PTG web site - there are many resources available.
Plan on going to a conference.
Look up Sierra Software Services, - Tremaine Parsons will get you a domain name and web site for a good price.

x-rpt
retired ptg member
J
J
Female Peter,

I too am about to start study to become a pianotuner/tech. Just two days ago I posted a topic - asking for advice/commentary on picking a correspondence course. I haven't had any specific comments on the three courses i mentioned in my posting. Randy Potter's was one of them. How did you pick it? What do you know about it beyond what is on its website?

- Jimmy in Colorado

G
G
First, don't think you will get special treatment just because you are a chick. Piano tuning has always been a "guy sport", and a girl will be a threat to some.
Having said that, I don't get why more females don't get into the profession. (i.e. small hands and fingers make it easier to do action work). Just dedicate yourself entirely to learning the piano trade.(if that is what you really want to do).

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
What does Randy Potter say about starting out in business?

Zeno Wood, Piano Technician
Brooklyn College
S
S
Originally Posted by Gary Fowler
First, don't think you will get special treatment just because you are a chick. Piano tuning has always been a "guy sport", and a girl will be a threat to some.
Having said that, I don't get why more females don't get into the profession.

The fact you expect us to expect special treatment in your "guy sport" is in fact one of the reasons more women don't tune. Its a job, just like any other.

Piano Technician, 3 years experience

And why yes, I know I'm a girl!
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Its a job, just like any other.

G
G
Sam, I applaud you for getting into the piano business. It IS as Gene Nelson said, a business unlike any other. You go into people's homes and you interact with their kids and their pets, and mess around with their "priceless heirloom"(piano) they have in their living room.

S
S
All businesses are unlike any other. And there is overlap from one business to another. I see the same plumbers, electricians, and cable guys on a regular basis, because people schedule us all on the same day. I've been in the business for three years, and like every other job, I wake up in the morning and go to work. Its a job I love, for sure, but then again I know people who love corporate accounting. I also know a piano tuner who is an excellent craftsmen and works at Walmart because they don't understand that it is a job. I'd rather treat it as my job than be a starving artist. And to bring it back to the topic, perhaps that is the best advice to give. It is your job. You have to answer the phone, return phone calls, show up on time, keep your appointments. Don't fall into the trap of thinking people will wait on you because you have all this training, because they won't.

Piano Technician, 3 years experience

And why yes, I know I'm a girl!
G
G
SAm, is is a business. And showing up on time will impress the customer more than anything else you can do

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission