2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2102041 06/13/13 03:30 PM
B
BenP Offline OP
OP Offline
B
So I was tuning at a church this morning and the power went out during a massive thunderstorm. Thankfully, the church member who was waiting with me went out and grabbed a Coleman lantern so I could see what I was doing. During the time in-between while I was struggling to get through the mid-treble with no light, I started wondering how blind piano tuners do it. I've heard of a couple; one that used to live in my area, and someone on the forums here mentioned one recently (can't remember who).

Obviously they tune completely aurally, but wouldn't tuning present a lot of other challenges? The one that used to work in my area (he passed away a few years ago and I never met him) did a good job as far as I can tell.

Ben Patterson, RPT
South Jersey Piano Service, LLC
www.sjpianoservice.com
A
A
Originally Posted by BenP
So I was tuning at a church this morning and the power went out during a massive thunderstorm. Thankfully, the church member who was waiting with me went out and grabbed a Coleman lantern so I could see what I was doing. During the time in-between while I was struggling to get through the mid-treble with no light, I started wondering how blind piano tuners do it. I've heard of a couple; one that used to live in my area, and someone on the forums here mentioned one recently (can't remember who).

Obviously they tune completely aurally, but wouldn't tuning present a lot of other challenges? The one that used to work in my area (he passed away a few years ago and I never met him) did a good job as far as I can tell.

In most cases, the brain's so-called "visual cortex" works fine in blind people. The brain being a remarkably plastic thing, this large area of brain assumes duties it doesn't perform in sighted people. This is what often gives abilities to the blind which can astonish sighted people.

Mapping physical things (like tuning pins) in space is one of those abilities. I can well imagine that blind piano techs perform feats that a sighted tech in a blindfold couldn't do running downhill with a tailwind.

When I was in college, the severely visually impaired tuners who dealt with our music school's instruments seemed to manage them extremely well.

Andy

AndyJ
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My wifes mother used to be an assistant for a blind tuner many years ago and helped him with some repairs and such. As far as the tuning goes, its not that difficult to navigate the piano with mutes and move the hammer once a blind person practices a bit. About 4 decades ago and later here in Canada, our government had a sponsorship program for blind people (through the CNIB) to encourage them into the piano tuning trade and also had a training center for it. A fellow classmate of mine at GBC was also "legally" blind and did some decent repair work even though he could only make out high contrast and large objects with his limited sight.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
A
A
Originally Posted by Emmery
About 4 decades ago and later here in Canada, our government had a sponsorship program for blind people (through the CNIB) to encourage them into the piano tuning trade and also had a training center for it.

I bet that's how the guys I saw at York University (Toronto) got into the trade. Interesting.

AndyJ
Yes, those were some bad storms this morning, a lot of power outages. Just curious, where in S Jersey are you located. I grew up in Collingswood, so I'm familiar with that end of the state. PM me if you want

Dave Forman
Piano Technician, Westminster Choir College of Rider University
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I carry an inexpensive headlamp for such occasions, but if my sight were impaired (more than it is), I suspect I would have trouble finding the proper string to damp and tuning pin to turn, just the way that I have trouble finding the proper key to play when I attempt to play the piano.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A light of some kind in the toolkit (headlamp is great) is almost as essential to going out on the road for tuning as tuning mutes are.
What was the old boy scout motto? Something about being prepared....

JG
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I always carry both a head lamp and a regular small flashlight. LED is now so advanced they weigh very little. And my iPhone has a flashlight on it for when I have not even opened my tool kit. Great for estimates, taking pictures etc.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
B
BenP Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Interesting. I know the blind tuner that worked in my area had his wife drive him around to his appointments, but I'm pretty sure he worked alone. It gives me a whole new respect for blind tuners (or any blind people, for that matter). It would probably take me 2-3 minutes just to find each tuning pin at first.

Originally Posted by Supply
A light of some kind in the toolkit (headlamp is great) is almost as essential to going out on the road for tuning as tuning mutes are.
What was the old boy scout motto? Something about being prepared....

I actually do have a pretty bright light on my phone that I could have finished with without too much trouble, but the Coleman lantern made things quite a bit easier. Typically I use my phone, or whatever piano lamp is available when I need to get more light inside a piano. But I like the idea of a headlamp - it would come in handy for more purposes than just when the power goes out.

I'm still at the point, and probably will be for a long time, when I realize on practically a weekly basis my need for some new tool in my travel tool kit. I guess a light is the next thing on the list.

Ben Patterson, RPT
South Jersey Piano Service, LLC
www.sjpianoservice.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have a small 3 LED headlamp that works with 2 watch batteries. It lasts a long time. It also swivels, which is great when you are removing or inserting upright hammer flange screws hidden behing the jack. Energizer makes some really nice ones, mine are just cheap walmart special.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ditto on the headlamp. I got one for Christmas last year. It makes things so much easier!

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
G
G
I can tune away, even in very low light(or nearly dark). If I have to replace a string however, I need LIGHT like nobody's business! I can't stand to replace a string in a dimly lit room

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission