2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Steinway corporate is well aware of this thread. I know this for a fact. But they haven't contacted me in the interest of good customer service. Not a peep. I would get better service at Walmart. Bob Snyder has called the manager of the store that sold me this piano regarding my posts. I have heard from other dealers as well that they know who I am.

I can see how it may seem like I'm an happy customer that's just trying to bash steinways product but I assure you that is not the case. I was honestly seeking advice on which hamburg I should get- new or used? C&A or not.

I'm displeased with my current instrument and although I was a bit extreme to call it junk, and for that I do apologize, what I mean is that it's not doing what I want and expected. If I haven't paid so much for it, it would be a whole different story. But when I buy the best piano in the world, I expect dynamic range and long sustain.

Like I have mentioned, the NY models can indeed achieve this but only from older ones such as the 1998 I had as a loaner. It just goes to show that these instruments may need time to build up to themselves. But it's a big "may" with 140k. Should I really wait 2 years to see IF the piano comes alive after 2 years? Big gamble I'm not willing to make.

My only criticism of Steinway NY besides the fact that they haven't even attempted to contact me and figure out a way to make us all happy is the fact that they rely on the dealers to finish prepping the piano. Out of the factory, they only do a very basic voicing.

The main issue is now they have to trust the dealer to properly prep the instrument. Something that does not happen in alot of cases from the sources I have.

Also, the selection room in NY is pointless unless the D's are concert prepped which they absolutely are not!!! Does this make sense??

Last edited by noambenhamou; 06/12/13 04:59 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
But when I buy the best piano in the world, I expect dynamic range and long sustain.

One does't have to own "best piano in the world" to get this.

Customers paying a fraction of what you paid, deserve it.

And are getting it....

Luckily, it has nothing to do with New York versus Hamburg Steinway..

Norbert wink

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Plowboy
They are also having shortages in inventory in Hamburg. Maybe that has something to do with it. Steinway says they've lost sales because Hamburg is not producing enough product right now.

No! The issue is that Hamburg Steinways aren't "seasoned" for North American climates. :-)

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Noambenhamou,

You state your opinions as if they are facts. They are your opinions and may or may not be shared by other members of the forum.

Here is an example:

Originally Posted by noambenhamou - 6/12/13
Like I have mentioned, the NY models can indeed achieve this but only from older ones such as the 1998 I had as a loaner.

Every possible solution has been offered to you but you seem to think that somehow we can kiss it and make it all better. You dismiss the wealth of information and experience offered by some of the most respected technicians and rebuilders that are available anywhere.

You selected the piano, it is not our responsibility to rectify your displeasure.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Thrill Science
Originally Posted by Plowboy
They are also having shortages in inventory in Hamburg. Maybe that has something to do with it. Steinway says they've lost sales because Hamburg is not producing enough product right now.

No! The issue is that Hamburg Steinways aren't "seasoned" for North American climates. :-)

I need to learn about gray market Hamburgs. laugh

Marty in Minnesota

H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Noambenhamou,

You state your opinions as if they are facts. They are your opinions and may or may not be shared by other members of the forum.

Here is an example:

Originally Posted by noambenhamou - 6/13/13
Like I have mentioned, the NY models can indeed achieve this but only from older ones such as the 1998 I had as a loaner.

Every possible solution has been offered to you but you seem to think that somehow we can kiss it and make it all better. You dismiss the wealth of information and experience offered by some of the most respected technicians and rebuilders that are available anywhere.

You selected the piano, it is not our responsibility to rectify your displeasure.

Did I say it was your responsibility?
I did not dismiss any information. I am gathering all information and learning from everyone's feedback. Thank you all! Truly!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by noambenhamou
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Noambenhamou,

Here is an example:

Originally Posted by noambenhamou - 6/13/13

Did I say it was your responsibility?
I did not dismiss any information. I am gathering all information and learning from everyone's feedback. Thank you all! Truly!

Then exactly what are you trying to accomplish and what do you need to hear that hasn't been said time and time again?

Marty in Minnesota

H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Oh, I'm all set brother! I completely got all the info I need but people keep posting replies...

I appreciate all the replies, but I welcome everyone to stop posting on this thread. I guess you can ask the moderator to close this thread if it's keeping you up at night and bothering you so much. But as long as people keep replying, ill keep reading. Perhaps there is some new information from someone new?

Thanks again for everyone who replied.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

Marty in Minnesota

M
M
The Steinway dealer didn't mention anything about upgrade policy when I bought my B in 2010. They took my 22-year old M back which I bought new and gave me full credit for what I paid then plus $2,000. I am not saying I got a good deal, just saying what happened.
As for Hamburg vs New York, I have always liked the Hamburg more. I grew up overseas and have not played any NY Steinway until I came to this country, and I was frankly quite disappointed with most of them, pretty much echoing what Noam said. Certainly the NY Steinway are decent pianos but tonally, I think they are mostly inferior to the Hamburg ones, not to mention the workmanship, not as meticulously made and prepared as the Hamburg ones. But I do think the newer New York ones are getting much much better. I like my B, and tonally, it is really not so much different from the Bs I tried at Steinway Hall in London last year. On the Bs I played I prefer the last few base notes of the Hamburg, with slightly more warmth to it. Still I think the Hamburg ones look more pretty! Hey, would like to have both at home someday.

2010 Steinway B #586826

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
mautique,

I think you got a fabulous "trade in" on a 22 y/o 'M' !!!

Marty in Minnesota

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
It's my understanding that Steinway Corp. intends for Hamburg to supply Europe and Asian markets while New York supplies North and South Americas markets.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Dave B,

So true. It was nothing more than fantasy conjecture about the Hamburgs being built in Astoria.

Marty in Minnesota

H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H

Thanks again for everyone's support.

Last edited by noambenhamou; 06/13/13 12:45 PM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Noam,

It is good to hear that everything is starting to come to a resolution. I wish you well, and I do hope that you find your perfect piano.

Marty in Minnesota

Originally Posted by Rickster

All I'm saying is that the OP deserves a second chance. We all can get rather irritable and feisty at times. It's part of being human. smile

Rick
Or, if the OP is by chance an Israeli, it's all part of what Israelis call "Israeliness" - brutally direct, excitable, and prone to arguing any point to death. In person, the typical Israeli's warmth makes it all forgivable or even amusing for us Americans. But on an Internet forum, it can be problematic.

I've had fun watching Noam jump down people's throats on the prior thread and seeing him backpedal on this one to no avail - other posters are still offended.

I long ago lost track of which piano Noam has, almost has, likes, doesn't like, and wants to trade in.

At this point I feel bad for him. He has a piano he doesn't want and a bunch of people on PW who are mad at him. He's a babe in the woods on this forum. Go easy on him, guys.

H
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by BrainCramp
Originally Posted by Rickster

All I'm saying is that the OP deserves a second chance. We all can get rather irritable and feisty at times. It's part of being human. smile

Rick
Or, if the OP is by chance an Israeli, it's all part of what Israelis call "Israeliness" - brutally direct, excitable, and prone to arguing any point to death. In person, the typical Israeli's warmth makes it all forgivable or even amusing for us Americans. But on an Internet forum, it can be problematic.

I've had fun watching Noam jump down people's throats on the prior thread and seeing him backpedal on this one to no avail - other posters are still offended.

I long ago lost track of which piano Noam has, almost has, likes, doesn't like, and wants to trade in.

At this point I feel bad for him. He has a piano he doesn't want and a bunch of people on PW who are mad at him. He's a babe in the woods on this forum. Go easy on him, guys.

Hahaha Brian. Ill take this as a compliment smile

Originally Posted by noambenhamou

Hahaha Brian. Ill take this as a compliment smile

Absolutely!

Is there a Steinway dealer in Israel? Maybe you could call him up and talk it over Israeli-style (that is, by yelling at each other) and come up with an action plan for dealing with the Americans and Germans. wink

To any reader the story seems a bit of "brand fixation"
Here are the reasons:

If I'd own a 9' Steinway and am not happy with it:

1] would go get the best tech trying to help me

2] explore all other possibilities including "lateral exchange" or "trading down" to a 7' grand I'd love.

Thinking that most of the issue has to do with communication of sorts - not piano itself.

Outside that, I would look for an entirely different instrument hoping the 9' concert could be sold or consigned at a price allowing me doing another choice.

With so many fantastic choices out there today, I wouldn't marry my ex-bride's German sister.

But find new love entirely elsewhere.

[True story...]

Norbert grin

Last edited by Norbert; 06/13/13 01:16 PM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Norbert

With so many fantastic choices out there today, I wouldn't marry my ex-bride's German sister.

Good one !! ha

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission