2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
S
S
Originally Posted by anotherscott
...optional speaker module that could be purchased and dropped into the chassis for those who want it.

I wish.

Maybe we can beg Casio to build a few!
Who's with me? laugh

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by sabored
...optional speaker module that could be purchased and dropped into the chassis for those who want it.

I wish.

Maybe we can beg Casio to build a few!
Who's with me? laugh

Well, I doubt it could be done now after the fact, but it would have been nice if it had been designed with that in mind.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Maybe something like the Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Mobile speaker II or the mini version would sit comfortably on the battery cover. The battery is rechargeable, too, and so it doesn't necessarily have to be plugged in.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
D
D
Originally Posted by voxpops
Deltron, personally I'm not overly keen on the speakers in the PX-350, and while it's nice to get a little tactile feedback from the speaker vibrations, if they don't sound good I'd rather use monitors anyway.

As to the user-friendly aspect, for basic use, once you understand the omnipresence of stage settings, it's easy to navigate. Programming can be a much deeper operation, particularly in respect of hex layers. I'm going to take my time on that front, and maybe play around a little using the PC editor - I wouldn't want to edit hex layers from the little LCD screen.

Thanks for the answer voxpops!
Gives me a little confidence that the PX-5S will be the right choice for me.
I have a little Logitech UE speaker that probably could double as a monitor for small jams, but im pretty sure it stops there, haha.

What monitor are you using with it, voxpops?
I am concidering a Rokit 5 monitor. Hopefully one will do for my little room.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
The Rokit 5's are nice monitors, but depending on the sounds you want to create you might want a subwoofer too. I have the Rokit 5's and use them mostly for recording but I have used them on my MOX8.

I'm currently using a Roland CM-220 setup and it sounds great! The speakers will mount on standard microphone stands and I have used them live without issue. They can be real loud if needed.
CM-220 Link

There is also a less powerful version that would work just as well in the home studio. CM-110 Link

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Deltron, I have Yamaha HS80M monitors for home use. They're chunky, but very good with regard to fidelity (and don't require a sub). Otherwise, I use either a pair of Roland CM30 monitors for light stage/rehearsal use, a Roland SA300 stage amp for gigs, or Mackie SRM350s.

I'm still trying to learn to love the piano sample in the PX. It has quite a realistic tone to it, but those plinky notes still bug the heck out of me. They're not so noticeable in chords/octaves, but stand out with flashing beacons on them during single note runs. eek If you're trying to play a lyrical melody line, they really grate. Mike Martin's revised piano patch helps smooth them out, but also affects the attack adversely in lower ranges. However, my personal preference may not be the same as yours. A number of people find the metallic attack at high velocities in the Roland SN pianos unacceptable, whereas I can live with that, and, clearly, a lot of PX purchasers are quite happy with the AP patches as they stand. This, though, is where Nord wins (at 3x the price): you don't like the Yamaha sample? Try the Bosendorfer or the Fazioli. If the PX could load an updated sample set, it would truly be the bee's knees!

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Count me as one very happy with the AP sounds on the PX-5S
(and the PX-5S in general). As I said earlier when talking about speakers, it's all very subjective and personal. I do hope the hex-layer AP will cure what ails ya'! thumb

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Maybe something like the Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Mobile speaker II or the mini version would sit comfortably on the battery cover. The battery is rechargeable, too, and so it doesn't necessarily have to be plugged in.

The SuperTooth Disco also looks like it could be a nice option, in terms of size, specs, and price.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

The SuperTooth Disco also looks like it could be a nice option, in terms of size, specs, and price.

If this is the one you are talking about, I like it. The blue LEDs match the PX-5S! Like that retro dial too. cool
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Plinky88; 06/14/13 12:28 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm still trying to learn to love the piano sample in the PX. It has quite a realistic tone to it, but those plinky notes still bug the heck out of me. They're not so noticeable in chords/octaves, but stand out with flashing beacons on them during single note runs. eek If you're trying to play a lyrical melody line, they really grate. Mike Martin's revised piano patch helps smooth them out, but also affects the attack adversely in lower ranges.

Oh man, I was hoping they could fix that. Unfortunately, once you hear the "plink" you can't un-hear it; and it just gets worse with repeated listening.

S
S
...would sit comfortably on the battery cover.

Would anyone mind taking measurements of the battery cover/free space available near the battery cover?

Last edited by sabored; 06/15/13 04:21 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sabored
...would sit comfortably on the battery cover.

Would anyone mind taking measurements of the battery cover/free space available near the battery cover?

The battery cover is about 10 1/2" x 4". You can get away with using a peripheral with a slightly larger footprint. The battery cover has a textured, almost rubberized surface so the grip is good, but I use a little Velcro to make sure my BR-800 stays in place.

Tonight at 7:30pm EST, I'll be doing a LIVE online clinic on the PX-5S. So if you have questions or there is something specific you'd like to see or hear, this is the time. This event will be recorded and then posted over on YouTube afterward. This format relies on your questions...otherwise you'll just see me staring into a camera. help

The event will be live at www.ustream.tv/casiomusicgear

When you get there you have to create an ustream account, then to the right of the video there is a Social Stream tab where you can type questions.

I hope to see you there.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
thumb

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Update to my post above:
I found an option in Ustream so I've changed things. There is now a CHAT window next to the video. I removed the "Social Stream". I have also allowed anonymous people in the chat. So you can ask questions without having to link a Facebook or Ustream account.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
T
T
Originally Posted by Deltron
Deltron, personally I'm not overly keen on the speakers in the PX-350, and while it's nice to get a little tactile feedback from the speaker vibrations, if they don't sound good I'd rather use monitors anyway.

As to the user-friendly aspect, for basic use, once you understand the omnipresence of stage settings, it's easy to navigate. Programming can be a much deeper operation, particularly in respect of hex layers. I'm going to take my time on that front, and maybe play around a little using the PC editor - I wouldn't want to edit hex layers from the little LCD screen.

Thanks for the answer voxpops!
Gives me a little confidence that the PX-5S will be the right choice for me.
I have a little Logitech UE speaker that probably could double as a monitor for small jams, but im pretty sure it stops there, haha.

What monitor are you using with it, voxpops?
I am concidering a Rokit 5 monitor. Hopefully one will do for my little room.

Another recommendation I would make is for a Yamaha MSR100. Incredible value for the buck, and sounds terrific. I only use one of these, as I am not overly concerned with "stereo" imaging when playing a digital piano. I have never been let down by Yamaha products.

Also, out of left field...in the possibility that you also are a guitarist, then you might want to look at the Yamaha THR10. It is a modeling amp that has the form factor of a boom box, but is based around high quality FRFR speakers. So, you can use it either as a practice guitar amp, or, if you set the amp sim to "flat", it is perfect for a personal keyboard amp.

Cheers,
John

M
M

Im searchin for Speakers like the built in speakerd in the Kawai Es7, If you possibly heard them, would you say that the Bose Soundlink or another one would do the job? cause the speakers on the Es7 are perfect/enough for MY needs. So instead of waiting for a new modell of the Px5s with built in speakers, would you recommend me some battery powered speakers which I just could put on top the Px5s?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here's a preview of Stephane Deriau-Reine's new album, featuring the Casio PX-5S. All the music on the album will be made with the 5S, with the exception of the bass and drums.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Tune in Thursday, September 12, 7:00pm eastern time at:
http://ustream.tv/casiomusicgear

smile

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Lol that's awesome, Mike is top notch.

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission