2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by musicpassion
Undergrads... depends on the school. I had hour lessons.

I think if you are able to define your goals for additional time it might help find a solution. Are you wanting more in theory? Form and analysis? Music history? Coaching on your playing? Etc., etc. Or is your teacher so inspiring that more "inspiration time" would help.

You probably already realize that economics are a significant road block. Professional piano teachers do need to earn a living.

Also it may be possible that longer/additional lesson time would not increase your rate or quality of learning.

Define it? Err, more everything! What I do is go in there go through exercises and scales and ram through pieces as fast as possible.

Yeah, you make a good point. That is may not necessarily help. I suppose once a week became the standard because that was what was most beneficial to most people. And sometimes I feel that way after my once a week lesson, like it was slow and unproductive, even unnecessary but that's not usually the case. When I'm practicing I often think things like "Wouldn't it be cool to do sight reading with her?" Or explore a new and unique piece with her and share my thoughts and get her opinion of the piece?" Or when we start a new piece and it's a new composer she can tell be all about that composer! Also if I had more time we would be able to thoroughly cover everything that I practice each week. It's like the best time and it's a pity it has to be squished in! But of course, I understand that she needs money! Erm, I think unfairness might also be a factor.

Last edited by Musiqientist; 06/12/13 03:57 PM.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by currawong
Originally Posted by Musiqientist
I'm so deeply interested in music that I often wish that I had a teacher that was just as enthusiastic about the piano and was willing to go to their limits with me.
I'm sure there are plenty of teachers who are as enthusiastic about the piano as you are. But as for offering you free lessons (that is what you mean, isn't it?), that's another thing entirely and I'm not sure why you'd expect anyone to do that.

I guess I'm just thinking that I know teacher like that exist and...I think I should have one! I think...if they were as enthusiastic as me and they found that it was beneficial for me, which they probably would, than they would give the time. I'm not exactly thinking of it as free lessons just like that. Perhaps the willingness to do it if I proved myself because that way I know that I'm learning at the maximum speed that I can. So that means I'm not necessarily getting one free minute, but the time is not what is being focused on most.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
As discussed in other threads, the OP needs to stay focused and has difficulty not getting distracted.

More teacher time to explore more directions is mostly likely counterproductive.

gotta go practice
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by TimR
As discussed in other threads, the OP needs to stay focused and has difficulty not getting distracted.

More teacher time to explore more directions is mostly likely counterproductive.

Some of my life is being distracted as a whole, not my playing. These days I play 5 hours regularly.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
But why would they give you their time without pay? You obviously think you are doing the teacher a favor by being enthusiastic. What an ego.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Minniemay
But why would they give you their time without pay? You obviously think you are doing the teacher a favor by being enthusiastic. What an ego.

Wanting more time means I have an ego? Didn't say they should or should not either, I'm just saying I want it, including any other involvement with music. I obviously also didn't say they would. Don't understand you.

I guess I might have an ego but your reasons for thinking so don't make complete sense.

Last edited by Musiqientist; 06/12/13 04:18 PM.

M
OP Offline
M
Also, a lot of the aspects of music that are not directly related to playing can be found through research and independent study. The Internet is a treasure trove of resources.

Yeah.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by justpin
No such thing as a free lunch I'm afraid.

The next best option is retired piano teachers who are living comfortable retirements but are looking for something to keep them active or pass the time. You get something out of it they get something out of it.

I had one once, she charges a nominal amount and lessons could go on for 3 hours we did get disturbed quite often her pets though, she also lost her train of thought quite easily and went off on quite random tangents.

About 2 miles away there is a teacher who lives a very comfortable lifestyle as a wife with servants, cleaners, gardeners her sons have grown up and left home. She does it to prevent herself from going loopy. But again there is a nominal charge.

Of course you might not get the best service or focus but its a trade off. One of them once went on and on and on about her brother.

So would you say it's nearly impossible to find such a person? I haven't thought any of this out very well to be honest but where I am coming from is several acquaintances of friends and such connections say that their teacher often keeps them for several hours at a time during the lesson or at least well over the hour. Otherwise when I read up biographies of my favorite musicians, I always see here and there that they seemed to see their teacher often and that there was something special about their teacher. It just didn't seem to be once a week and nothing else but then again I have not been playing very long. One of my college instructors was a musician and he says such teacher definitely exist but you have to look hard. I feel the same way based on the information I have but of course they are not very common. That doesn't mean that nothing but time counts and that I would instantly switch to ta teacher who gave more time just for the sake of free loading. They have to teach well too. Just my thoughts.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I think you should practice two hours less per day and use the time to clean houses. That way you will have more money to pay a piano teacher. Also, you will strengthen your hands. At the same time, the three hours in which you do practice will be more focused. You could also clean the house of the piano teacher and use the money to pay for more lessons.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Some great replies here. I especially like what Keystring had to say.

It remains to be seen whether it is taken seriously by the OP.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by keystring
Some great replies here. I especially like what Keystring had to say.

It remains to be seen whether it is taken seriously by the OP.

Sorry I had to take off, just got home.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Is this going to end up like your last thread?

What ever happened with that teacher?

Learner
M
OP Offline
M
Love the post.

Yay!

Learning anything including playing the piano is mostly by sitting at the piano bench following precisely the instructions given to you by the teacher. It is important for people when dealing with teachers, doctors, all professionals that clients/students write a letter full of questions, ideas, goals because as experienced professions, it is not helpful for students and clients to repeat themselves and speak in a disorganized fashion. What is helpful is that students and clients write whatever is on their mind, goals, questions out the music- anything about the subject at hand because as professionals they can quickly scan/read the letters and know instantly what they can do to answer your questions and help you without

I agree, and I usually attempt to do this.
wasting time with chatter during a lesson of whatever length.

Yes and we could also have a very productive lesson even if it was very long!

Learning to play the piano is about you, all about you, doing your lessons accurately following the instructions of your teacher. You have to do the work. Most people/students have an extremely difficult time finding enough quality time to practice their lessons assigned by the teacher each week.

Most people, but there are still enough people who are just as talented and focused as you are. There are people in the middle too, and the compeition feels like it is just that fierce.
But of course you are right in saying that if you do not have the mind for it that you won't have a chance period, but it's not like that persons that rare either. You would say that all the people in the middle category won't make it perhaps? And that the kind that gets you successful is so rare that they will end up successful? I wonder how you determine whether you have that in yourself.
So you have to get plenty of rest, proper exercise, eat properly and concentrate on your goals and not worrying whether or not your teacher is perfect or not. The reason is that a student can become the worlds best piano player even though they have a less than perfect teacher and the worst students that are rich and bright can't play the piano because of their inability to follow the instruction and be sufficiently focused.

Maybe there's always something that someone missed. smile

I when I was in college in the United States during the Vietman war - I am a Canadian - I went to college/school 5 days a week and so did the rest of the students at school for two years. But I knew a student that only went to night school part-time twice a week and graduated with honours in 6 months - so don't worry about the schools in Europe and be jealous because it sounds like you are so motivated that you could also study piano part-time and be one of best piano players in the world because you have the drive and are focused on your goal.

Thank you. smile It doesn't feel that way to me though! I always feel like I am on the edge and will need a boost of some sort, something extra or I won't make it.

Again, it is never what you have in an imperfect world, but is what you are able to do when everything isn't working in your favor and you let nothing, absolutely nothing get in your way and prevent you from accomplishlying your goal.

So in terms of piano playing you think that there is nothing ever stopping you? Because again, I am making a generalization but it seems that every single person who was famous, lived near a conservatory that had a good program, had musical parents, found a special teacher, etc. Because they say that the teacher is a big factor, and if that is the case than how can it not get in your way? Even if you try?
But also I think you have a great point, just because people are playing in more recitals doesn't mean they are better than me and if they are it doesn't mean that was for any specific reason aside from how we practiced, but it really seems that way.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Originally Posted by Musiqientist
Don't know if this is the best forum to post this but I don't see anything else that matches better.

I'm so deeply interested in music that I often wish that I had a teacher that was just as enthusiastic about the piano and was willing to go to their limits with me. An hour doesn't seem like it's enough often times. There's so much I want to learn, show, ask, explore but it's not possible because I do not have enough money to pay to see her everyday. However, I have heard of teachers who are willing to do this. Do they usually charge students extra? Where do you find them? I'm a student writing this and therefore feel like I am in dangerous waters for asking this but I can't bring myself to think that there is anything wrong with it because I just want to be more serious and learn. I heard in Europe it's taken more seriously and they even have schools where you would be in 5 hours a day and that makes me jealous. There is more lesson time, recitals, just everything. Most people who succeeded in music seem to have had certain advantages when I think of it. There was probably more flexibility with their teachers but then again, in University I hear that undergrads get half hour lessons so... Thoughts?

You don't happen to live near Edinburgh, do you?

No why?

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Candywoman
I think you should practice two hours less per day and use the time to clean houses. That way you will have more money to pay a piano teacher. Also, you will strengthen your hands. At the same time, the three hours in which you do practice will be more focused. You could also clean the house of the piano teacher and use the money to pay for more lessons.

I guess I was not very clear on the money part. All the money I use is my parents, it would be easy for me to persuade/manipulate them into letting me have two lessons a week with my teacher but I'm not willing to do that. There are also more efficient ways for me to accumulate money anyways, if your not kidding about the strengthening my hands part. :pp My parents would never allow me to enter the house of a stranger like that. I was offered a position as a tutor at my college. I think I'm looking for something else in this "dream teacher" I don't even want there to be structure somehow! But so in your opinion, practicing less and managing to get another few lessons will be beneficial? You support the idea of having more time? If I get the lessons won't I have to practice more?
I'd clean my teachers house though, she'd get a kick out of it.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by malkin
Is this going to end up like your last thread?

What ever happened with that teacher?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I guess the answers no...unless you bring up the topic of the previous thread, which you just did.

Nothing happened with that teacher, I still see her every week.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I don't walk into a shop and ask to take something away for free. In the same way I wouldn't expect anyone to ask for my services without payment.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I don't walk into a shop and ask to take something away for free. In the same way I wouldn't expect anyone to ask for my services without payment.

Even if you are passionate about the item?

If money isn't the issue, then manipulating a piano teacher to teach you for free is bizarre. No matter what kind of passion you have for it.

P
P
Here's my advice - stop wishing for something that hardly ever exists, and create some musical opportunities for yourself. Of course it's great to connect musically with your teacher, but there are lots of other people you can connect with as well.

Here are some ideas you could explore:
1. Find a duet partner - or two, or three. Sight read duets together, and pick some more difficult ones that will take more practice.
2. Organize some concerts yourself - at homes for senior citizens, libraries, etc. Your teacher could probably help you find some other students to perform, and would be grateful that you organized it.
3. Look for someone that you could accompany - perhaps a friend plays a different instrument and needs an accompanist?
4. If you go to church, volunteer to play the piano at services.
5. Volunteer to play for the choir at your current school or at an elementary school.
6. Form a band with some friends - you play the keyboard parts.
7. Play percussion for a community band - if you can read music and are willing to try different percussion instruments, it could work out.
8. Take a music theory, or music history course.

Most of my suggestions require a certain level of skill on the piano - if you are practicing 4-5 hours per day, I assume you are close to that level.

You can have fun with music in so many ways - don't depend on your teacher to do all the work.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by MaggieGirl

Even if you are passionate about the item?

Indeed, even if I am passionate. I have been disrespected and short changed by people who consider themselves decent and would be very upset if one day their boss just decided to omit paying them. Why? Because I am a soft target.

I also do voluntary work - voluntarily - for no money. This is also fine. But I don't do voluntary piano teaching.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission