2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Okay, there's a little problem with the video file, but I uploaded the audio......

I was the least happy with this movement because it was such a mess.

Does it come across as too messy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTF6hNmXWEA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Dunno why nobody's posted....or why there are so few views...but that was really good! The flubs didn't really distract from the music and I'm so jealous of how you shape all of the small details so well. Congrats!

Last edited by Kuanpiano; 06/12/13 12:38 AM.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
[...] how you shape all of the small details so well. Congrats!

I think that is what makes Pogo's music so special--that attention to detail, yes, but not getting lost in the details. Exactly what you said, Kuanpiano--shaping the details into something much bigger and deeper--thought and feeling in each unfolding phrase. I guess I'm plus one-ing you! smile

So, it wasn't as clean as it might have been, Angelina. It's still amazing playing. I've listened to it three times, now, and I get lost in the music each time! There are many very heart-wrenching and mysterious moments. As I said before, you demanded Rachmaninoff to tell his secrets to you and he did. This is a very intimate interpretation--all movements of this performance. It's quite special.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks!

So it does sound messy? As in, I can't use it for pre-screening auditions for schools?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm certainly not qualified to answer that question. But now that you've asked it that way, perhaps we'll here from those who can offer an experienced opinion. smile

Edit: I listened to it again with fresh ears this morning, and I think what rises to the top in your performance is the incredible artistry and depth of understanding. It is incredibly lush playing with detail and passion. The fluffs that pass by are just that--performance fluffs that would probably never happen the same way twice, given a different day and a different performance. I understand why they bother you, but the way you handle the piece in total is enough to show that you have mastered the piece.

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 06/12/13 10:01 AM. Reason: added thoughts

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Pogo -- like Kuanpiano, I really didn't notice any majorly messy segments -- what I DID notice was the emphasis on the lyrical aspects of this massive composition, as opposed to the virtuosic; and, IMO, that is really, really important to "selling" this Sonata. Overall, I'm more taken by your performance than Viktor Valkov's -- his is more exciting, but I think yours is closer to the heart of Rachmaninov.

Thanks, incidentally, for tipping me off about Valkov's performance: since I have been "on record" for dissing this Sonata based on past hearings (admittedly limited), his and your performance have successfully turned my head around. Now, if you can sell me on the merits of the 3rd movement of the 2nd Sonata, I'll be happy to go to school there too -- as I speak now, I'll be damned if I can make anything substantive out of it.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Well, the only messy part I noticed was right at the E flat minor climax, where you missed a few right hand chords...but you left hand kept going and that's the predominant voice in that section anyways. You should be okay, especially considering how it's a live performance..and that's like one bar out of 35 pages which is noticeably out there.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
To be honest I thought this movement sounded more cautious than messy, certainly compared to the other two.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Interesting observation... That's probably the only time I performed this movement and "went for it"...

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Fantastic! Listening it through now, halfway through I think this sounds absolutely superb! Glad someone takes on this seriously underrated piece (personally, I think it's more interesting than the 2nd sonata) and does such a thorough job with it. Great sound, wonderful attention to detail, not to mention counterpoint, which is very important in Rachmaninov. I'd take most of it somewhat faster, but that's a matter of taste - to me, it overall comes across as more Moderato than Allegro in your performance. That's a better starting point than having it the other way around, for sure.

In any case, congrats on this - wonderful playing throughout. You're making me inspired to learn it!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission