2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Pianos do not have an expiration date, just tendencies, anecdotal evidence and common concerns. I always think of Yamaha's G-series instruments as mid-level which makes the economics of rebuilding them questionable. Their C-series are worth(y of) a moderate amount of rebuilding. Why would that G2, an older, averaged sized instrument capture your attention over other choices? Even then, Yamaha was a fairly mass produced instrument, with many competitors.

We have an older Yamaha C7 (1969) that is largely original. The action is astoundingly good despite the age and life it lived (after a thorough round of servicing). It was recently restrung for the first time, and (after cleaning up the stringing job) it tunes beautifully. The satin black cabinet has a lot of amateur touch up. The piano has "character" and it was "loved" but dang it, it still performs.

This piano is doing better than most at its age, and because it is big, it has some value. The fame of the C7 model for its use in halls and in recordings adds to that.

Consider why you are looking at certain brands, what that means for the value of your dollars spent. Is it helping you or is it limiting you?

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I have a Yamaha G7 built in 1961. It has been played a couple hours a day at least and it's still an awesome piano.

I had some work done on it a few years ago - pin block, pins, hammers etc and regulation. I can provide the list. The wippens were still fine and needed nothing.

Who ever told you they only last 30 years was dead wrong.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by wilf
Hope you don't mind me weighing in with a related question.

I just tried out a 1964 G2. It has been owned by a piano teacher since new. She had the hammers, bass strings and pin block replaced 10 years ago. There was a couple of keys that stick. Something tells me that after reading these posts, this piano probably needs a lot more work to make it work really well. Am I right? Roughly what does it costs to start replacing bushings etc? Asking price is 6,000.00. There is an '87 G2 down the road for 8,000.00. Opinions?

It is likely there are parts in the action with significant wear, if the piano was ready for new strings, pin block, and hammers. It might be perfectly playable, however.
But here's the bigger question: why are you looking at old Yamaha G series pianos with a significant price tag? Not a direction I would go.
A few suggestsions of where I'd go: Yamaha C series, Kawai, Baldwin.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
W
W
I am trying to stay within a budget of 6-7,000.00. So far I haven't seen any c series in that price range. I am also not informed as to the differences between the series. So, because of budgetary concerns I may have to settle for the lower end product. I am still considering a number of other pianos including a Baldwin (25 years old) a Yamaha (also 25) and a twelve year old Kawai. All are shorter (5' to 5'3") and all in the same price range. It's hard when your budget is limited to decide what to compromise on. There aren't a large number of choices in this part of Canada. I am making a trip to Vancouver to look at several others in ten days. I am hoping the newer Yamaha will still be available.

Thanks for any additional input.

Wilf

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I doubt you are going to find what you want in your budget here in our area.
If you do it would be a worn out grey market instrument. Those piano don't do well in the Alberta climate. Add the shipping cost and your even in a tougher situation.

Perhaps take a look at the Chinese manufactured instruments Norbert carries.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

W
W
One of the pianos I referred to is in Norberts shop. I have already talked with him regarding shipping, humidity etc. There are over 100 pianos listed on Craigs list in Vancouver.Only four in Alberta. We'll see what turns up. It will be fun shopping either way. If I have to spend a couple thousand more I will find a way.

Thanks,

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Since we're on the topic, is a G7 from the early 60's worth $15k if the action is decent and sound is OK? Strings don't look original but not brand new either.

(not buying it anytime soon, just wondering)

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
There aren't a large number of choices in this part of Canada.

Ok - disregard my previous post then. This goes to show how huge geographic factors are for piano purchases. Piano market here is different.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
One of the pianos I referred to is in Norberts shop. I have already talked with him regarding shipping, humidity etc. There are over 100 pianos listed on Craigs list in Vancouver.Only four in Alberta. We'll see what turns up. It will be fun shopping either way. If I have to spend a couple thousand more I will find a way.

Thanks,

Wow I never thought there would be so few grand pianos in Calgary/Edmonton on Craigslist. I checked it out. I even saw a ad or two that are also on our local CL. Wounder were those pianos are?

Enjoy your time here smile

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Pianos do not have an expiration date, just tendencies, anecdotal evidence and common concerns. I always think of Yamaha's G-series instruments as mid-level which makes the economics of rebuilding them questionable. Their C-series are worth(y of) a moderate amount of rebuilding. Why would that G2, an older, averaged sized instrument capture your attention over other choices? Even then, Yamaha was a fairly mass produced instrument, with many competitors.

We have an older Yamaha C7 (1969) that is largely original. The action is astoundingly good despite the age and life it lived (after a thorough round of servicing). It was recently restrung for the first time, and (after cleaning up the stringing job) it tunes beautifully. The satin black cabinet has a lot of amateur touch up. The piano has "character" and it was "loved" but dang it, it still performs.

This piano is doing better than most at its age, and because it is big, it has some value. The fame of the C7 model for its use in halls and in recordings adds to that.

Consider why you are looking at certain brands, what that means for the value of your dollars spent. Is it helping you or is it limiting you?

nice post as usual sam; and nice video... it does still indeed perform.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Getting back to the original question: generally, these pianos probably hold up a bit better than most of their competitors, I would say.

However, in 30+ year old Yamahas I fairly frequently find that the bass strings are dying or are already dead. This surprises me because it really seems to be a brand specific early deterioration of tonal quality in the bass strings which is out of line with the way the rest of the piano ages.

Replacing bass strings is not the end of the world, but if you have already maxed out your budget you will have to live without the round and full bass sound that this piano can produce with decent strings.

JG
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Alan W
Since we're on the topic, is a G7 from the early 60's worth $15k if the action is decent and sound is OK? Strings don't look original but not brand new either.

(not buying it anytime soon, just wondering)

I'm certainly no expert on used piano prices, but that seems very high to me... I'll bet Sam's C7 in the video is in that price range and likely much better condition.

Just my .02

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, I checked that C7 and it was only $11.5k and that was with new restringing. So $15k seems like a ripoff.

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Even though I dearly love my G7 from the early 60s, I would not think it's worth near $15,000.00, even if they are Canadian dollars.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I don't know. My piano is a 1952 Wurlitzer Spinet, and it has had no work over the past 61 years except tuning. It still sounds pretty darn good. I would say that if they're using plastic parts nowadays in modern pianos, yes, the Yamaha won't last as long inside.
Here's a video of my 'original'un-restored piano to give you a idea of what pianos start to sound like after years of playing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgC-HyNdpNM

Who knows? I would think that the Yamaha brand would last a long time, but I don't see many from, say, the 1950s or 1960s.......But don't worry. If you properly care for it, it'll last for a very long time! Best wishes with your Yamaha!

1952 Wurlitzer 2150 Spinet...'The boogie-nator' laugh
Man, can it R-O-C-K! smile
B
BDB Offline
B
You do not see many from the 1950s or early 60s because they were not imported until the 1960s.

Semipro Tech
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Allan W.
Yeah, I checked that C7 and it was only $11.5k and that was with new restringing. So $15k seems like a ripoff.
Ours is pretty cheap because, honestly, the cabinet is only in "good" condition. It's performance capabilities bring it up but the looks drag it back down again.

Despite the popular sentiment here that people do not care about the looks, only the sound...almost every one of those people has a spouse who does care how it looks. wink

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
[quote=Allan W.]
Despite the popular sentiment here that people do not care about the looks, only the sound...almost every one of those people has a spouse who does care how it looks. wink

You're absolutely right. Even I was the staunchest "don't care how it looks" shopper, but in the end, it was a minor consideration.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Unless a piano is hidden away in a practice dungeon, I think that we all like a piano to look good.

Though, an aging grand, with an alligator finish, can still look impressive!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
deleted

Last edited by Norbert; 06/18/13 04:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission