2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (BlakeOR, aphexdisklavier, anotherscott, AcousticAndre, 36251, Anglagard44, Carey, 23 invisible), 634 guests, and 417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2099478 06/09/13 05:13 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hey everybody,

There is currently a Yamaha YDP-223 for $650 on Craigslist right now where I live. I have wanted to buy a Yamaha P-155 desperately but by the time I buy that and get a stand it will be almost double the price of what this YDP-223 is being sold for. The owner (only owner) has had it for approximately 5 years, and said that it was for their children when taking piano lessons. Hence, I am guessing it has not been played much. I do realize it is a very old model, but doesn't it have the same touch as a P-155? This was the one reason that caught my attention, as I love the feel of the P-155.

So what does everyone think? Good buy or bad buy? What should I offer if $650 really is too much?

Thanks!

Last edited by lpmaniac4774; 06/09/13 05:14 PM.
It would depend on your level of experience and goals with playing. If you are just getting started and want something decent to play, and plan to practice often, you will likely have a strong urge to replace either model with something more substantial in the near future. In that case, I'd get the 223. I'd probably get the 223 regardless, but I'd have to think about it more.

The 223 is only three years older than the 155. The main difference is that the 155 has the "CF engine", with key off samples, sustain samples, more polyphony and such. To be honest, these things do not matter much, although I admit the key off samples make a large difference in sound for me. The sound on the 223 will be rather bright compared to the 155, which may be a positive or negative for you. The 155 sounds virtually identical to the modern Clavinovas.

I'd go for the 223 with the assumption that you will have something to replace it within a year anyway. I only lasted four months on my Yamaha S31 before I wanted better sound, keys, and pedals. Save your money and get the 223 unless you are an ultra casual player and do not foresee wanting a new piano under any circumstances. Even then, you may still be tempted to upgrade.

PS: my S31, which is newer but significantly worse overall than the 223, sells for $600-700 used on Kijiji here in Ontario. $650 for the 223 is a steal in comparison.

Playing: Yamaha GC2
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
[quote=lpmaniac4774]Hey everybody,

There is currently a Yamaha YDP-223 for $650 on Craigslist right now where I live. I have wanted to buy a Yamaha P-155 desperately but by the time I buy that and get a stand it will be almost double the price...[/quote

You can upgrade the sound should you want to. Get an older used Mac Mini and an audio interface and some software. And for another $600 or so you can have a piano that sounds much nicer than the P155.

That said, for practice does it really matter that much? Later if you want to record then "everyone" uses the piano software, even if you had the P155 the software is MUCH better. (I own a P155. It's good but it can't compete with the really large sample libraries. But for 99% of the time I don't bother with the computer.

So if you can save 1/2 the cost but have the option to upgrade, go for it. Also if yo don't like it you can sell it pretty fast for only $150 less then you paid. These is little risk

one last point. just START. nothing else maters more. Just figure this will be your first piano not your last.

L
OP Offline
L
I thank you both a ton for the deep explanations on whether to purchase this keyboard or not. By the looks of it, I definitely am going to give it a shot, because I think it is a good deal in comparison with other keyboards. I appreciate the replies and if I have time I will let you know how it turned out!

Thanks!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,396
Posts3,084,136
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission