2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#209749 10/20/07 11:17 PM
SHPiano Offline OP
OP Offline
My "new" (1926) Bluthner arrives this week. I've already made room for it by moving my old upright into the family room. That leads me to my question. The upright is an 1880's B. Shoninger upright. It's a beautiful piano. However, it cannot hold A440 and according to the Rappaports never will.

So here's my question: Is there anything I can do to keep it as a musical instrument? For example--please forgive me if this is sacrilegious--can I replace the acoustic components and essentially convert it into a digital piano? I really would love to figure something out that makes sense.

Here are some pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks.

Bosendorfer 225
Bluthner Style 9 (Model 4)
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
How elegant! Such GORGEOUS veneer!

There have been references here (might be in the archives) about making it into a desk, a bar, or nicknack holder!

There is even a piano company that can use the frame for a new piano but that would be rather expensive. (I think it was Steingraeber that does this.)

Have you asked about it being redone/refurbished?

LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
SHPiano Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by lilylady:
How elegant! Such GORGEOUS vaneer!

Have you asked about it being redone/refurbished?

LL
Thanks LL.
The case is made from what I think is called "tiger-striped" walnut. You can probably see why I want to figure out a way to save it.

I've had Priscilla Rappaport take a look at it and she basically said it will never be able to stay in tune.

Bosendorfer 225
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is the plate cracked or something like that?
Not that it is worth rebuilding money wise it can be done. We put new soundboards and pinblocks in old uprights if it is wanted to be kept in the family.
Once again you spend way way more on the piano that it would be worth. But to some it is worth it.

That a great looking cabinet and it would be a shame just to junk it. Looks like it has a standard action.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"Never hold A-440..."

Nonsense. Never say never...

As Rod says, it can be rebuilt. As long as the plate isn't cracked at least. The pinblock can, at ultimate need, be replaced - although there are several options available to rejuvenate same if it isn't too far gone (read: majorly cracked). A squirt of "ca glue" (Superglue) beside each pin is well known to "permanently" fix a lot of pinblocks. Repinning the block with larger pins is another option; drilling out, replugging, and repinning with standard pins is yet another.

All assuming the pinblock isn't too far gone - otherwise it can be replaced - but be prepared to spend some money!

All this said, what's the condition of the action? That too can be rebuilt, but its expensive. I know of someone who had their old upright completely rebuilt/restored - cost 'em about $12K. Considering the prices of new pianos these days, that's not "TOO bad" - as long as you think of it in terms of uniqueness not available at any price as opposed to "what can I sell it for?".

Another approach would be to do some of the work yourself {*ducks*} as I have done - this is NOT for the faint at heart, and be prepared to make a lot of dumb mistakes! If this appeals, do your research - and its best to have a sympathetic tech to guide you and do some of the harder stuff.

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It think it would do well in a church or chapel for playing hymns.

“There are only two important things which I took with me on my way to America, It´s been my wife Natalja and my precious Blüthner.” – Sergei Rachmaninov

1913 Blüthner model 6
1929 Blüthner model 9.
SHPiano Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Rod Verhnjak:
Is the plate cracked or something like that?
Not that it is worth rebuilding money wise it can be done. We put new soundboards and pinblocks in old uprights if it is wanted to be kept in the family.
Once again you spend way way more on the piano that it would be worth. But to some it is worth it.

That a great looking cabinet and it would be a shame just to junk it. Looks like it has a standard action.
I agree it would be a crying shame to junk it.

Regarding the plate, I think that's the problem. It doesn't have a metal plate. It's wood. I think that's why Priscilla said it would never hold a tune. frown

Bosendorfer 225
I'd like to hear more about the option of frankensteining a digital into it. Has this ever been done?

I read all the time about people putting modern TV's into old TV cabinets. And putting radios or even mp3 players in old tube radio cases. Why can't we do the same thing here?

- Benton Jackson. Permanent piano novice.
Kawai RX-2 #2555861 in Satin Walnut
Kawai ES6
J
J
No plate, you say? Was it meant to be tuned to A440? Perhaps a lower pitch might be within it's 'holding range'?

Definately a beutiful piece of history. It'd be a shame to 're-egineer' it and lose the historical documentation. There was a great article in the last PTG Journal about how such instruments can be treated--from "do nothing" to "conservation" to "rebuilding". All have their place, but certainly result in different outcomes. (PTG has a museum, if you can't come to some other 'ideal' disposition...)

John Delmore
PTG Associate Member
"You don't have a Soul. You ARE a soul. You have a body."...C.S. Lewis
Bienvenue!: http://louisianaskyline.net/forums/index.php?
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by SHPiano:
Regarding the plate, I think that's the problem. It doesn't have a metal plate. It's wood. I think that's why Priscilla said it would never hold a tune. frown
Isn't *THAT* interesting! Any chance of some pictures if the insides?

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What a unique and gorgeous old piano. heart fwiw, here's what I would do: Keep it in your family room as furniture. Then take $2K or so and buy yourself a decent digital if you want something else to play besides your Bluthner. That would probably be the cheapest and easiest solution all around.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Monica K.:
here's what I would do: Keep it in your family room as furniture.
But what is the point of having an old (albeit beautiful) piano as furniture - *UNLESS* you convert it to a BAR!
laugh

Mike

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
SHPiano Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Monica K.:
What a unique and gorgeous old piano. heart fwiw, here's what I would do: Keep it in your family room as furniture. Then take $2K or so and buy yourself a decent digital if you want something else to play besides your Bluthner. That would probably be the cheapest and easiest solution all around.
I've got a little Yamaha digital (that's a great little device with MIDI and all that). That's what my kids and I have been practicing on--insofar as I didn't want the kids to develop a bad sense of pitch on the upright.

I'm almost certainly going to keep it, but I just can't bring myself to turn it into a bar.

Bosendorfer 225
SHPiano Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Zormpas:
Originally posted by SHPiano:
[b] Regarding the plate, I think that's the problem. It doesn't have a metal plate. It's wood. I think that's why Priscilla said it would never hold a tune. frown
Isn't *THAT* interesting! Any chance of some pictures if the insides? [/b]
Stand by. I've just taken some and will upload in a bit.

Bosendorfer 225
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
How about adding a Moog pianobar?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Moog-PB-001-PianoBar-709312-i1155213.gc

Not sure how best to silence the action. You would really want to feel the action.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
B
B
I like that piano .. I can see why you don't wanna give it up, I mean who would?

-Brad-

Proud owner of Hailun 123, Thanks to everyone on Piano World!!

THANK YOU!!
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Vale Pianos, a company near Evesham in the UK do Digital Conversions, maybe available in the USA.

http://www.valepianos.co.uk/

Go to Digital Conversions on the left hand list.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Gorgeous.

I've got a beautiful non-playable piano too that isn't worth restoring. It's taking up a lot of room in my house. I can't bring myself to make it into a desk or digital.

So it sits by the playable upright piano, holding photos.

If I ever have the money to upgrade to a grand, I will need the space. I sometimes think about donating it to a house museum.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. It's stunning.

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It would be a travesty to gut your piano to create a bar, desk, digital, or anything else. There are museums that are interested in unique old pianos in original condition. Let's have a look inside. If tuning is the issue, CA glue may very well be the solution that gives your piano a new lease on live while preserving it's integrity (and any present or future antique value).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission