2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2095230 06/04/13 12:24 PM
A
OP Offline
A
So I started feeling guilty that all my posts on this site have been in the Van Cliburn thread. I thought I might assuage that guilt by posting a recording so everyone can see just how hypocritical I am for criticizing pianists my age or slightly older who are a million times more accomplished than I ever will be grin

I've been playing this prelude casually for at least a couple of months now, but had one lesson on it recently. There are lots of things obviously wrong with it, but I'll let you guys figure them out instead of apologizing in advance. I will, however, apologize for the weirdly low volume [fixed in the second take], my out-of-tune piano, and the unfortunate timing of my clock's hourly chirp at the very end [also fixed]...

EDIT: This is different take with better volume

https://soundcloud.com/ansatz737/rach23-4-bettervolume2

Last edited by ansatz737; 06/04/13 01:45 PM.

Student and shamefully occasional pianist
Currently attempting:
Rachmaninoff - Preludes op. 23 nos. 4 and 7
Deciding between Mozart K. 310 and Beethoven op. 10 no. 3
Albeniz - Almeria from Iberia book II
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I had to go listen, including because of your mentioning Cliburn (even though it wasn't really about him!) and that it was from his LP recording that I came to know and love the piece.

The volume really is too low for me to say much, but I can say that it seems to me that this is excellent, with a great tempo, very good and relaxed pacing, and (yes, even with the very low volume I felt I could tell this!) ....and very good dynamic range, with good and interesting shaping within phrases.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What I hear in your performance, ansatz, is a degree of musical maturity and depth that is largely missing from a number of this year's Cliburn performances, despite the competitors' technical mastery and wide-ranging virtuoso rep. I know there are a ton of qualifying differences, but I also know what I'm hearing in the making and shaping of music.

Beautiful, sensitive playing. And I loved the bird song at the end. Thank you for sharing this. It takes a lot of courage to post to an international forum and throw yourself to potential wolves! smile

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
A
OP Offline
A
Wow, thanks Mark and Andy! I certainly wasn't expecting a positive reception. I adjusted the settings on my recording device and did another take, and the volume appears to be normal now. I edited out a short false start at the beginning, but otherwise didn't change the performance. The flaws in my playing will probably be more obvious now, but hopefully some good things will be too ha

Currently attempting:
Yeah. grin

It's still very good, even now that we can actually hear it ha ....but there's one 'new' thing (only 1!), which I couldn't tell before. You almost always PAUSE when the left hand has to leap downward, like at the ends of measures -- through most of the piece, except when there isn't such a leap. That's a very common 'amateur' thing with such figurations. I've been prone to it myself. I once played Chopin's E-flat major Nocturne (Op. 9 #2) as an encore, and then to my horror, my teacher pointed out afterwards that I had done this. The nocturne has exactly the same issue; it's easier there but the issue is the same. I didn't even realize I was doing it. I had gotten into it as a matter of convenience, or probably more accurately, laziness grin ....and just got used to it, so that I didn't even notice it; it just felt like part of my "rubato," but it wasn't. Of course it's OK to be flexible with rhythms and to have little pauses, and often a pause is probably intended by the composer when a hand has to jump like that. But it's not OK when it wasn't intended (as I doubt it was in this piece) and when we don't even realize it and just doing it as a technical concession rather than as an expressive choice.

If you fix that, it'll be pretty close to perfect. smile
And if you need clues on how to work on it, we can help with that.

A
OP Offline
A
Yup, that's definitely one of the major issues ha But I only really noticed it when listening to these recordings! Now it seems glaringly obvious and I wonder how I could have missed it before, but I guess that's how it works sometimes. I'll work on it smile

Currently attempting:
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Here goes. I have not read any of the previous comments on this thread, so my opinions are unbiased. ha

I like your tempo starting out. There may be a little too much pause when your LH is leaping down at the beginning of measures - try to work on that.

Try to think about making the phrases a bit longer; you're cutting off a few of them.

2:13 is an amazing moment - maybe even use a little more rubato.

You could be bringing out the melodies over the LH a little more, I think.

I love 3:03 - 3:10 so much - you do a great job with that section.

You have excellent control of crescendi and diminuendi towards the end. Your LH is probably slightly too loud, but it's OK.

The chord at 4:39 - this is what I don't like so much. Try to work on the voicing, and maybe take a little more time before that chord and play it a little softer.

All in all - I'm impressed. One of the more musical performances of this prelude I've heard (and I've heard a lot of great ones). You're only in college? You have some serious potential as a pianist.

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I have a personal policy that I don't listen to a recording without commenting, and offering feedback when requested. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time right this second, so I may come back and post a longer reply later.

I liked this performance. A couple minor flubs which I think you already knew about, but nothing major. I agree with eliminating the hesitation. It really makes the line drag.

I would like to hear the middle melody more in the 2nd "section" with the triplets on top. Most of the notes come out clean and clear, but some of the trickier ones weren't as clear.

That's the major stuff.. really solid take. With a little tightening, this could be performance-ready. Good take! smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
A
OP Offline
A
Polyphonist - thanks for the detailed comments! I'll try to give a point-by-point response.

Originally Posted by Polyphonist

I like your tempo starting out. There may be a little too much pause when your LH is leaping down at the beginning of measures - try to work on that.

Definitely, as discussed before.

Try to think about making the phrases a bit longer; you're cutting off a few of them.

My teacher mentioned this too and I think I've improved in that respect, but I can work on it more.

2:13 is an amazing moment - maybe even use a little more rubato.

Yeah, you're probably right. But I think the effect of the rubato there was dulled by the fact that I was delaying the beginnings of measures far too frequently. So maybe if I fix that, I won't even need to slow down much more there, I don't know yet.

You could be bringing out the melodies over the LH a little more, I think.

Possibly. One of the things my teacher made a big point of was making the LH a bit more prominent since I had been keeping it overly light before. Maybe I've gone too far in the other direction.

I love 3:03 - 3:10 so much - you do a great job with that section.

I actually thought it was pretty good too!

You have excellent control of crescendi and diminuendi towards the end. Your LH is probably slightly too loud, but it's OK.

(same reason for loud LH as explained earlier)

The chord at 4:39 - this is what I don't like so much. Try to work on the voicing, and maybe take a little more time before that chord and play it a little softer.

I will admit that I haven't given enough thought to how I want the last few measures to sound yet, so I may end up agreeing with you. But in my score that chord is marked mf, which is distinctly louder than much of what precedes it. I might decide to play it softer anyway, but IMO that's a distortion of the score, albeit a very reasonable one.

All in all - I'm impressed. One of the more musical performances of this prelude I've heard (and I've heard a lot of great ones). You're only in college? You have some serious potential as a pianist.

Thanks again! But I have to laugh at the "serious potential" bit grin I assure you that you wouldn't feel the same way if you heard me playing anything remotely fast or virtuosic ha My technique is extremely weak. I've played only sporadically over the past two years, and only started practicing regularly again a couple of months ago since taking temporary leave of absence from university.

Last edited by ansatz737; 06/05/13 08:24 AM.

Currently attempting:
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Derulux
I have a personal policy that I don't listen to a recording without commenting, and offering feedback when requested. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time right this second, so I may come back and post a longer reply later.

I liked this performance. A couple minor flubs which I think you already knew about, but nothing major. I agree with eliminating the hesitation. It really makes the line drag.

I would like to hear the middle melody more in the 2nd "section" with the triplets on top. Most of the notes come out clean and clear, but some of the trickier ones weren't as clear.

That's the major stuff.. really solid take. With a little tightening, this could be performance-ready. Good take! smile

Thank you for your comments! The hesitation point has been discussed enough by now, I think smile I was reasonably happy with the 2nd section you mention, but it's very difficult for me and there's always room for improvement. I will say though that I don't like the melody to be quite as loud there as I've heard some pianists make it. I think it sounds more beautiful and natural if it doesn't stick out *that* much (i.e. to the point of harshness) from the surrounding textures.

Last edited by ansatz737; 06/05/13 08:32 AM.

Currently attempting:
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ansatz737
Originally Posted by Derulux

Thank you for your comments! The hesitation point has been discussed enough by now, I think smile I was reasonably happy with the 2nd section you mention, but it's very difficult for me and there's always room for improvement. I will say though that I don't like the melody to be quite as loud there as I've heard some pianists make it. I think it sounds more beautiful and natural if it doesn't stick out *that* much (i.e. to the point of harshness) from the surrounding textures.

I agree, but a couple times it disappeared into the surrounding textures. wink

You entered the 2nd section very well.. I was delighted by how soft you kept the triplets. Most pianists I've heard (including some pros) do the opposite and play the triplets way too loud.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission