2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
55 registered members (amyram, chasingrainbows, clothearednincompo, Beemer, accordeur, baudelairepianist, AB99, 36251, 14 invisible), 436 guests, and 581 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
No method book - write your own #2095084 06/04/13 06:20 AM
N
Nannerl Mozart Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
This idea came to me the other day when I wondered what would work for the five year old I teach. I am using John Thompson book 1 with her, it happened to be the book she was working on with her last teacher. It doesn't seem to be working for her.

I've also noticed that she likes writing her own music... I've also been incorporating Kodaly and Orff into my teaching with her (if she doesn't play in time, I get her to stand up and sing it with me whilst patting her lap to keep a beat - or I play the piece, and she walks to it, then I get her to tap the rhythm whilst I am playing it.)

I've also noticed that her fingers are small and don't have as much strength as the fingers of my older students... so when I started teaching her technique, I assigned three finger exercises, not five finger exercises.

Sometimes I will assign 8 bar pieces that I write out and rather than starting with sustained notes (as the John Thompson method states) I start with crotchets and quavers (since they are easier to clap and to say).

The other day I came up with the idea to completely ditch the method book and to just write my own method book in a way that is tailor-made to her technical abilities, and also allows her to compose a little (she write short 4 bar melodies and shows them to me... so I was thinking of writing 4 bars and then having her write the next four bars by the end of the lesson.)

Another thing I thought might be handy to have in this book are practice charts, and some theory worksheets glued in, also to allow it to kind of be a general creative book (she can draw pictures around the pieces, I tend to get my younger students to draw pictures when it comes to things like programmatic music and interpreting it)

Does anybody on the forum write music for their own students?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: No method book - write your own [Re: Nannerl Mozart] #2095158 06/04/13 09:10 AM
T
ten left thumbs Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes, I've been writing left-hand boot camp and right hand boot camp, as I'm fed up with the books that make a hand sit idle in position on the keyboard, thus teaching shoulder and back strain. It'll be a while before it replaces published books.

My First Piano Adventures is good for young'uns.

Re: No method book - write your own [Re: Nannerl Mozart] #2095182 06/04/13 10:04 AM
C
Chris H. Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I have never been tempted to write my own method book as there are so many great ones out there that cater for all kinds of students. You can mix and match methods and supplement with other materials as well as make up suitable exercises for each individual. But the books we have available now have been very carefully planned and thought out so it makes sense to use them where possible. That's not to say that you shouldn't write your own book, each to their own really.

Pianist and piano teacher.
Re: No method book - write your own [Re: Nannerl Mozart] #2095286 06/04/13 12:42 PM
Nikolas Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I keep seeing this issue coming up in various forums, facebook and the such.

Ok, I see the point and certainly I write my own stuff for my students (being a composer, and a pianist, etc).

But, if I may steer the discussion to another place: Sometimes I feel a little weird, with all those teachers working on their own methods, or piano works. Most (not talking about this case. I don't know about this case) do not have much knowledge on composition, and sometimes it painfully shows...

This is probably a reminder that music, IS music. And so many methods are missing this, in favor of pure technique... If one is to write a method (for younger or older students) do take care of the music part as well, please! smile

Re: No method book - write your own [Re: Nannerl Mozart] #2095304 06/04/13 12:55 PM
M
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Why reinvent the wheel? There are courses designed to do exactly what you are aiming to do, and for areas you want to emphasize, you add your own thing or other published things.

Check out Celebrate Piano or My First Piano Adventure.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
Re: No method book - write your own [Re: Nannerl Mozart] #2095340 06/04/13 01:47 PM
M
missmommypiano Offline
M
Hi, I'm a parent. My 5 year old son was started on the John Thompson's method and it was not the proper introduction for him, so we switched teachers and the new teacher used Music for Little Mozart's (Book B, or the second book). I would recommend this book for a 5 year old. It starts out with some pre-reading then introduces the staff. After the staff was introduced, we worked from the Thompson book and the Music for Little Mozart's book until the Little Mozart book was complete. She gives him 3-5 assignments a week, so this process took around 3 months. He also had a Music Tree activity book. He can now read the 9 notes in the middle C position (including 2 note chords) with no trouble and count quarter, half, dotted half, and whole notes. Right now, he is wrapping up the Thompson book and having some supplemental work from one of the Faber Primer level books. You don't need to necessarily ditch the traditional methods, but (some?many?most?) 5 year olds need more support than Thompson's method, and like you intend on doing, "pasting" some parts and pieces of things together is something that my son's current teacher has done.

Re: No method book - write your own [Re: Nannerl Mozart] #2096827 06/06/13 07:55 AM
N
Nannerl Mozart Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Minnemay, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel... let me put it his way - I am not completely dissing other courses and methods - I'm just cutting and pasting what I think works best for the student and myself.

Missmommypian - again I'm not ditching traditional books... I'm yes, 'pasting' other books, and also getting my own student to compose - since she is already so interested in doing it.

Re: No method book - write your own [Re: Nannerl Mozart] #2096847 06/06/13 08:42 AM
P
Peter K. Mose Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Nannerl, what you are doing for this student is superb. Be sure to keep copies of everything you craft, for future use or even possible publication!

Re: No method book - write your own [Re: Nannerl Mozart] #2097169 06/06/13 03:59 PM
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Nannerl Mozart
This idea came to me the other day when I wondered what would work for the five year old I teach. I am using John Thompson book 1 with her, it happened to be the book she was working on with her last teacher. It doesn't seem to be working for her.

I've also noticed that she likes writing her own music... I've also been incorporating Kodaly and Orff into my teaching with her (if she doesn't play in time, I get her to stand up and sing it with me whilst patting her lap to keep a beat - or I play the piece, and she walks to it, then I get her to tap the rhythm whilst I am playing it.)

I've also noticed that her fingers are small and don't have as much strength as the fingers of my older students... so when I started teaching her technique, I assigned three finger exercises, not five finger exercises.

Sometimes I will assign 8 bar pieces that I write out and rather than starting with sustained notes (as the John Thompson method states) I start with crotchets and quavers (since they are easier to clap and to say).

The other day I came up with the idea to completely ditch the method book and to just write my own method book in a way that is tailor-made to her technical abilities, and also allows her to compose a little (she write short 4 bar melodies and shows them to me... so I was thinking of writing 4 bars and then having her write the next four bars by the end of the lesson.)

Another thing I thought might be handy to have in this book are practice charts, and some theory worksheets glued in, also to allow it to kind of be a general creative book (she can draw pictures around the pieces, I tend to get my younger students to draw pictures when it comes to things like programmatic music and interpreting it)

Does anybody on the forum write music for their own students?

I do.

But it takes a LONG time to do it, and I do hesitate a second to use any book in any method book if I there is something there that works.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway fallboard lettering
by Lushey1 - 02/21/20 04:30 AM
How do you deal with sweaty hands?
by PracticingPianist - 02/21/20 01:34 AM
FP 90 Question...
by GWILLY - 02/21/20 12:27 AM
I am inspired to write some music
by MichaelJK - 02/20/20 10:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,098
Posts2,928,244
Members96,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission