2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by sinophilia
Anne B., thank you for your suggestion, but I see you have only 3 messages and they are all about this app. Advertisement anyone?

Well spotted sinophilia, perhaps we should discuss in this thread the cons of such an app as all I ever hear is how good it is.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
Maechre Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I noticed exactly the same thing, sino.

earlofmar: In the past I've read that whole blog, and I check up with it every now and again to see if there are any new posts.

No, people don't usually recommend sight-reading for two hours a day. However, it's something that would be good for everyone to try for a day or a week at some point, when the sight-reading's not too tiring. I started feeling pretty good about my sight-reading when I was doing it for an hour a day.

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Just finished part 3 of the Hannah Smith. I still have to slow down in the independent hands exercises but my left hand is getting a tiny bit better I think. Today I'll start the part on flats.

I am also going through Alfred's jazz/rock book which I had started last summer, and I found out I can read and play the first few songs without having to think too much. Not exactly sight-reading though, as I remember the rhythms a bit, but still...

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Sounds good sinophilia, I feel like I haven't been as diligent this week with my sight reading. I am waiting for a book recommended by Maechre "100 Best Loved Piano Solos, Vol 1". I got an email saying it was in New Zealand a week ago, but I don't think there is a word in the Kiwi language for "express".

I am going to give the "Sightreadingmastery.com" a go over the weekend. I am not hopeful it will be suitable but they give a seven day trial to test it out.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
Maechre Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I ordered two new books and I'm waiting for them to come. "150 of the Most Beautiful Songs Ever", and "150 More of the Most Beautiful Songs Ever". They seem to be at the higher end of what I've been working on, and if they're at a good level, they should last me a while. smile

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I have at least two sources (Super sightreading secrets and an online teacher) which say it is essential to be able to see and name a note instantly, including saying aloud it's name. I have not been practicing this because I have been getting most of my improvement from interval reading, and instead of naming a note I have made a connection with the note and key to be played. So I believe I am skipping this step of note naming which I thought was a good thing. Any comments on this matter?

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by earlofmar
I have at least two sources (Super sightreading secrets and an online teacher) which say it is essential to be able to see and name a note instantly, including saying aloud it's name. I have not been practicing this because I have been getting most of my improvement from interval reading, and instead of naming a note I have made a connection with the note and key to be played. So I believe I am skipping this step of note naming which I thought was a good thing. Any comments on this matter?

The reason for being able to identify any note instantly isn't to replace intervallic reading like you're doing so successfully - but rather a supplementary skill to be used when there are large leaps or breaks in playing and intervallic reading can't be relied on (I don't know how much use for this there would be in sight-reading beginner repertoire).

M
Maechre Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Bobpickle's spot on.

M
Maechre Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Got my two new books. Easier than the last book I went through, but together they're about 1,100 pages. So hopefully I can become quite solid at that level.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I received 88 Piano Classics the other day and it is just what I have been looking for. I have another one 101 Piano solos on order and it should be here any day.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
Maechre Offline OP
OP Offline
M
New video! I'm quite rusty. And this video's really blurry (out of focus). But you get the idea. wink

How's everyone doing?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I am still hanging in there doing 15-20 mins daily sight reading. I have been at this for seven months and although improvement seems glacial, there is a least improvement of sorts.

I ordered and am now working through the two books you recommended (88 Piano Classics and 101 Piano Solos). They are great sight reading fodder.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Still 20 pages to go and I'll be done with Hannah Smith... I'm struggling a bit with syncopations, but overall it's okay. Will try to read all I can during the summer.

M
M
Originally Posted by sinophilia
Still 20 pages to go and I'll be done with Hannah Smith... I'm struggling a bit with syncopations, but overall it's okay. Will try to read all I can during the summer.

I'm stuck on exercises between 100-115 in Hannah Smith. These exercises seem so simple; single whole note on the left hand and quarter notes with simple melodies on the right hand. I'm having trouble when my left hand and right hand moves in opposite directions with big jumps. I'm aware of the problem and working on it. And it feels great! grin

B
B
Just started sight reading super seriously. I was already doing it somehow as I often play a piece once and jump to the next one, but still I find I'm miles away of my technical level (which is not very high anyway :P )

thanks for the books recommendations

I got paul harris "improve your sight reading grade 2" and it looks exactly right for my level. Right now I am really struggling with the "look ahead thing" are you supposed to look 1,2,3 notes in advanced and prepare for it? Somehow I just can't read fast enough but I know the answer: practice, practice, practice!!

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Yay, I got to exercise 450 in the Hannah Smith's book! There were some complex rhythms that made me struggle, and I realized that getting the notes right is just the beginning!

Now I have the last section to do - ten pages of exercises in all keys - then I think I will start reading my Big Book of Beginner's Piano Classics from the beginning and see how I do.

M
M
I think my memory is so bad that I can practice any piece over and over for sight-reading. I revisit some of songs that I have previously played and it feels like I'm sight-reading. Only difference is that, I can play it better now.

M
Maechre Offline OP
OP Offline
M
BlackForest:

For now, just try to look one note ahead of the one you're playing. When you start seeing the notes as scales and broken chords, then you'll be able to see farther ahead, and how quickly you can process the notes will make a difference as well, which as you know will come with practice.

B
B
Thanks for the advice.

I had a ouple of frustrating seasons but really after two weeks I've noticed some progress. very little progress really but def some so I guess it is just a matter of practice!

This paul harris book is great and i got a similar one : joining the dots. I need a lot of material as I already have been through the pieces so much I am starting t become familiar woth them

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by BlackForest

I had a ouple of frustrating seasons but really after two weeks I've noticed some progress. very little progress really but def some so I guess it is just a matter of practice!

slow and difficult to quantify with a few false starts, and even a couple of back steps is how I would describe my sight reading after 9 months. I wish it were easier but it is a hard slog,
One trick people have advised is to turn your music upside down for some fresh sight reading experience. Bartok's Mikrokosmos vol 1 is good for sight reading practice and is available with lots of other material at http://imslp.org/

Last edited by earlofmar; 07/16/13 05:44 PM.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission