2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2093970 06/02/13 03:33 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Well, here we go again. Let's hear some predictions.

For starters...

Roland - RD700NX upgrade?
Kawai - MP6 and MP10 upgrade?
Yamaha - CP upgrades?
Kurzweil - Artis?
Korg - recent stuff, but more?
Nord - " " ?
Casio - " " ?

What do you think is going to rock our world?? OR just more fluff with "minor upgrades*"

* a.k.a "planned obsolescence" to make us by something in between until the next real significant upgrade is released

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 06/02/13 03:47 PM.
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston

For starters...

Yamaha - CP upgrades?
Korg - already seen upgrades
Kurzweil - Artis?

What do you think is going to rock our world?? OR just more fluff with "minor upgrades*"

* a.k.a "planned obsolescence" to make us by something in between until the next real significant upgrade is released

RD700NX + Rd300NX update : probably
MP6/10 update: no (not yet)
Yamaha CP update: probably
Korg: uhm...you mean for DP's ? Perhaps finally an SV2 ?
Kurzweil: Artis in a more advanced stage in development. Hopefully they'll add some resonance effects (damper / snare) and hopefully they use a triple sensor keybed.
Physis K4/K5 : more info on development stage and release date + sound options
StudioLogic Numa Concert: price drop please !
Casio Px5s: more rave reviews and happy people (getting rid of their hernia).
Pantago SP4U stage piano (for you) : hybrid piano (physical modeling + advanced sampling) , with stage controller features , triple sensor weighted keybed and 15kg

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
We shall see. Keep an eye on it:

http://www.namm.org/summer/2013

D
D
Hope springs eternal.

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Has anyone heard anything yet about potential new products? Roland looks like they might be rolling out a new guitar amplifier, but aside of that I have seen nothing.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 06/27/13 08:24 AM.
Kawai: GF action in stage/portable/compact line pianos (ES/MP/CL)

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by jarosujo

mmmmmmm, not (yet) . Would be surprised if it showed up in summer already. Probably later this year.

....On the other hand it might explain the current production problems of the VPC etc , if that is due to the fact they had to make room for some new products. Kawai may not have enough production capacity to produce all models all at once and have to do some clever forecasting and scheduling , which seems to have screwed up for the VPC lately. If the bonus side is an earlier entry of the new MP line, you wouldn't hear me complain ;-) Still I guess not.

Last edited by JFP; 06/27/13 10:30 AM.
R
R
Originally Posted by JFP
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston

For starters...

Yamaha - CP upgrades?
Korg - already seen upgrades
Kurzweil - Artis?

RD700NX + Rd300NX update : probably
MP6/10 update: no (not yet)
Yamaha CP update: probably
Korg: uhm...you mean for DP's ? Perhaps finally an SV2 ?
Kurzweil: Artis in a more advanced stage in development. Hopefully they'll add some resonance effects (damper / snare) and hopefully they use a triple sensor keybed.
Physis K4/K5 : more info on development stage and release date + sound options
StudioLogic Numa Concert: price drop please !
Casio Px5s: more rave reviews and happy people (getting rid of their hernia).
Pantago SP4U stage piano (for you) : hybrid piano (physical modeling + advanced sampling) , with stage controller features , triple sensor weighted keybed and 15kg

JFP, I think that you are on the money with most of these predictions. However the Roland and Yamaha updates probably won't happen until later this year. Looking at the Roland countdown, this Summer NAMM will most likely be for their guitar consumers and the RD700NX+300NX update will probably happen this fall. Yamaha....geeezzz, I have no idea. They are in "stop time" with regards to the CP line. They didn't even replace the good but getting old, P-155. Not that features like Ivory feel and 3 sensors make or break a DP, but all other manufactures have these features even in their lower level models. I have no idea what they plan to do but it would be great to see them create a more compact CP line and not cut details out like sympathetic resonance out of their flagship stage pianos. Plus they really need to update their damper resonance algorithm because it just simply sounds like a cheap reverb every time you press the sustain pedal. Even though I couldn't get down with the Casio PX5-S, Casio is certainly taking sales from the big guys like Roland and Yamaha and are actually becoming one of the big guys! It's time that companies look at what Casio has been doing for the past couple of years and produce real competition that people can afford without handicapping their products because of the fear of cutting into their "flagship" profits.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
E
E
Originally Posted by jarosujo

According to what Kawai James has said that would make them even bigger and heavier than they already are.

What are the thoughts on RM3 and RM3II vs GF anyway? I have little experience to go on but initial feelings of the MP10 compared to the CA95 when trying them in a shop was that the MP10 actually felt a bit closer to an acoustic.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
According to what Kawai James has said that would make them even bigger and heavier than they already are.

Totally worth it. I think Kawai may have imagined that the MP10 and VPC could be used on a stage but in practice almost all of us use them at home or in the studio and don't care about how much they weigh, particularly. It seems that the manufacturers have had a hard time understanding that the slab form factor is desirable, and not just for people who are gigging. Actually, probably the main reason slab form factor pianos are awesome is that you can get them online and through big box retailers at great prices and availability instead of searching far and wide for a piano retailer who doesn't even have it in stock, wants to haggle, feeds you misinformation, and ultimately charges a high markup.

Anyway, the RM3 and RM3II actions hardly qualify as portable in my opinion. No one carries them by themselves and though a GF action may add weight, two people who can carry an RM3 piano can also carry GF. In my opinion it was a miscalculation on their part to use RM3II in the VPC1.

What are the thoughts on RM3 and RM3II vs GF anyway? I have little experience to go on but initial feelings of the MP10 compared to the CA95 when trying them in a shop was that the MP10 actually felt a bit closer to an acoustic.

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try GF yet so I can't comment on this directly. By all accounts RM3 and RM3II are great actions (my piano uses their ancestor, AWA PRO). Their deficiency is known, though: Total key length is long, but the distance from the front of the key to the effective fulcrum is shorter than some other actions (including folded actions like PHAIII, apparently). The result is that the amount of force required to produce a given velocity at the front of the keys is relatively larger than is required at the back of the key. It's always harder to play at the back of the keys and we all get used to it, but this is less true for longer keys. Key length is by no means the only ingredient in a great action, but it's one that's relatively easy to measure.

GF remedies the key length issue by placing the fulcrum back farther. Whether this brings downsides along with it (key bounce, apparently?) or not hasn't been fully established as many people have not had a chance to test GF fully.

Last edited by gvfarns; 06/27/13 08:43 PM.
K
K
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Originally Posted by Enthusiast

Totally worth it. I think Kawai may have imagined that the MP10 and VPC could be used on a stage but in practice almost all of us use them at home or in the studio and don't care about how much they weigh, particularly. It seems that the manufacturers have had a hard time understanding that the slab form factor is desirable, and not just for people who are gigging. Actually, probably the main reason slab form factor pianos are awesome is that you can get them online and through big box retailers at great prices and availability instead of searching far and wide for a piano retailer who doesn't even have it in stock, wants to haggle, feeds you misinformation, and ultimately charges a high markup.

Anyway, the RM3 and RM3II actions hardly qualify as portable in my opinion. No one carries them by themselves and though a GF action may add weight, two people who can carry an RM3 piano can also carry GF. In my opinion it was a miscalculation on their part to use RM3II in the VPC1.

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try GF yet so I can't comment on this directly. By all accounts RM3 and RM3II are great actions (my piano uses their ancestor, AWA PRO). Their deficiency is known, though: Total key length is long, but the distance from the front of the key to the effective fulcrum is shorter than some other actions (including folded actions like PHAIII, apparently). The result is that the amount of force required to produce a given velocity at the front of the keys is relatively larger than is required at the back of the key. It's always harder to play at the back of the keys and we all get used to it, but this is less true for longer keys. Key length is by no means the only ingredient in a great action, but it's one that's relatively easy to measure.

GF remedies the key length issue by placing the fulcrum back farther. Whether this brings downsides along with it (key bounce, apparently?) or not hasn't been fully established as many people have not had a chance to test GF fully.

Thanks for writing exactly what I've been thinking all along, gvfarns!

Cheers,

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Not a DP, but at least it's something new...

Korg PA900

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COyBiTzV1Wc

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 06/30/13 12:35 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Interesting. I wonder what type of sensors they have in place to make that work. Clearly not the 2 or 3 switch electromechanical sensors we have in most DP's.

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Interesting. I wonder what type of sensors they have in place to make that work. Clearly not the 2 or 3 switch electromechanical sensors we have in most DP's.

It is interseting. Kind of like the Roli Seaboard (or maybe not at all for that matter)

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8n-bEy9ISpM[/video]

W
W

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ndvr-note-masterkeyboard--24

It is explained, at least in outline, here.

willf
D
D
So, I'm guessing, given the deafening silence and lack of buzz---or coverage in general---ain't nuttin' happenin' (again) ?

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Yup, it was a dud for keyboards and DPs. It seems the focus was aimed at the guitar players this time.

M
M
I've got a new Taylor acoustic guitar to hold me over until the RD-700NX replacement is released ;-)

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Ouch, a guitar post.

...kick us while we're already down ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission