2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2093566 06/01/13 07:20 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I have been tuning for awhile(over 30 yrs). I am no concert artist for sure, but I can play pretty well. Seems at this point in my tuning career, I would rather not play once I have finished the job. For some reason, I'm thinking it's going to appear to the customer I am trying to "show off", or that I'm being self indulgent. Plus I need to get the check and get to my next appointment. But lately, I've noticed customers seem really disappointed that I didn't play a song at the end. Some have even told me THAT is the only reason they had their pianos tuned.[to hear the song at the end]. And If I play something at the end, how much is too much? I don't know what other tuners do, but it would be interesting to find out.

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
I always play. I ask them what their favorite song is; they love it.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
B
B
I usually play. Not anything real showy - mostly for my own benefit to hear how the piano sounds and touch up any interval or unison that needs it. If they ask, I'll play something longer or fancier occasionally. But I agree - by that point I'm usually ready to be done with the job and move on.

Ben Patterson, RPT
South Jersey Piano Service, LLC
www.sjpianoservice.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I ask if they have a guitar. I'll play THAT for them. 'Makes most customers laugh.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
M
M
hearing my tuner play lets me, an amateur, get a sense of how good my piano can sound, something to which I can aspire! Please play.

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
If you got it, show it! Hey, who wants to show up at the dance empty handed?

I am a very mediocre player, so I use this opportunity to compliment the piano and point out how nicely it tuned up. It's all about 'their' piano.

When tuning for concerts or professionals, I use a much more mechanical approach to checking the tuning.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't know how well my tuner plays, but he always plays the same big range, chord-y bit when he's done tuning. When I hear it, I know it is time to come out and write him a check.

Learner
C
C
As the client, I really appreciated my techs playing. He's very good and I even picked up some playing pointers (he has a musical degree and used to teach). When he finished, he played a mini-concert for us. We could have sat for hours. One of the pieces was Debussy's Arabesque #1 and what a great piece to hear a piano really sing.

I think by your playing gives any owner a chance to hear his instrument played by someone who has a gift for fine tuning (and who cares how good you are)? So, yeah, I agree with the other owner's post, keep playing by all means, it's a pleasure........blob

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I'm always embarassed by the fact that I have no memory for music. I have a lot in my repertoire but only with the sheet music, and it definitely feels like showing off if i get music out at the end. If there is sheet music there that I can play though, I will sometimes play that.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Always play. I don't even consider myself mediocre; I pretty much fake it.

Even at the Shout House, every week, I play the same three excerpts, and the managers always seem to appreciate that I do it.

At the schools, the kids and teachers love it when I do it.

Last edited by OperaTenor; 06/02/13 04:49 PM.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I always play a little bit although I'm actually a drummer. I know all my scales so I play chords up and down the piano. I have two song memorized, Minuet in G and O Tannenbaum for Christmas. People usually want more and then I have to confess that that's the only song I know!

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I pick and choose when I should play or not.

I'm an improviser, and know tons of tunes by ear.

It is interesting how different people will either be inspired or intimidated by my playing ability.

Some teachers that I tune for I think would prefer that I not play too much. And I don't.

I can usually guage how much I should play, or not, by the music books lying around.

So, for me, it's a case by case scenario.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
G
OP Offline
G
Judging from the comments by others so far, I'm thinking it's not such a bad thing to play a little after the tuning. I may stick to doing "parts" of songs, and keep it short and sweet.

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary Fowler
Judging from the comments by others so far, I'm thinking it's not such a bad thing to play a little after the tuning. I may stick to doing "parts" of songs, and keep it short and sweet.

Good plan.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I love it when my tuner plays (and he can). Not having another pianist around, it is the rare opportunity to stand back and listen to my own piano.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I will sometimes play during the tuning, after I'm done a section I'll play a bit from a piece that fits there. Its almost like a final check before moving on. If there is time afterwards, I will play something unusual. Most pianists, pro or not, appreciate hearing their piano played by someone else. There is something good about hearing your piano from a location away from the bench also. Sometimes I'll suggest to a customer to try out the piano while I'm packing up, I enjoy hearing them play also and gives me an idea what kind of genre of music the piano's being tuned for.

Last edited by Emmery; 06/03/13 12:41 AM.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by accordeur
Originally Posted by Gary Fowler

Good plan.

What Jean said. That's essentially what I do.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Emmery
I will sometimes play during the tuning, after I'm done a section I'll play a bit from a piece that fits there. Its almost like a final check before moving on. If there is time afterwards, I will play something unusual. Most pianists, pro or not, appreciate hearing their piano played by someone else. There is something good about hearing your piano from a location away from the bench also. Sometimes I'll suggest to a customer to try out the piano while I'm packing up, I enjoy hearing them play also and gives me an idea what kind of genre of music the piano's being tuned for.

Depending on the customer, I also suggest they try it out. I feel it gives them some buy-in to my work.

C
C
Agreed operatenor and emmery.......

For no other reason than curiousity or enjoyment, I like watching people play. I mean if they take off like Jerry Lee Lewis playing encores, I would know that's probably at least 4 tunings a year, right?! blob

KAWAI RX-3 BLAK
YAMAHA GRANTOUCH GT1
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
Most of my customers are professionals, and there is absolutely no way anything I can play on a piano is going to impress them with anything but a deserved condescension.

OTOH, those piano owners that plunk around at home, some having started taking lessons again at 65 years, others having once played but now just rarely, and those that inherited the piano, can't play a lick, and always hope that anyone, and I mean, anyone, ( the friend that teaches, the kids that have just learned chopsticks, the nephew home from school, the piano tuner, the interior designer, anyone! ), will sit down at the piano and make some notes; these customers get a boogie, or a homemade ballad, or the worst rendition of "Tennessee Waltz" one is like to encounter out of me, and I can't play!

It doesn't matter. I have had too many of these customers tell me that as soon as they make the tuning appointment, they are waiting to hear what I doodle after I am done. They, after many years, consider it part of the job. Even though after 2 minutes and 18 seconds I begin repeating myself, it is a solid part of why I get called. I have no reservations about the quality of my craft as a tech, and no pretensions of being a musician. Yet, I have had customers comment on how beautiful the piano sounded after I had simply modulated around the circle of fifths. (Which I do, since most of these tunings are UT)

There is little musical about tuning the way I do. For most people, it is a technical bunch of sound, but when there are chords and melodies suddenly coming out of the box, something happens. They show up at the doorway and listen. I think that once I play something, I am a person they can more readily identify with.

Tune the piano, make some music. If the quality of the former is sterling, the quality of the latter doesn't matter.

Regards,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission