2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, 9 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Yesterday, I had the privilege of working with my tech and mentor, Bill Bremmer, RPT, on a Yamaha G3 at the church where I play once a month. We (mostly Bill) did a rough regulation, re-shaping the hammers and putting everything in line as needed. A half-day's work improved the piano tremendously.

Today, I went back to the church to try the piano with a fresh perspective. Inspired by the Cliburn competition, I played through a bunch of stuff, and practiced a bunch of stuff (mostly Brahms and Beethoven--my bucket list keeps getting longer and longer) and for fun, I managed to record a miniature that turned out pretty o.k., maybe. I still haven't unlocked the secret to this prelude, but I am glad to get to know it better.

Equal Beating Victorian Temperament III tuned by Bill Bremmer. Recorded with the Tascam DP-004 as described in the other Scriabin thread. Adjusted for volume and pan, with light compression to bring everything "up" a little bit.

Scriabin Prelude Op. 11, No. 9

Comments and suggestions welcome.

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Exploring the web still and stopped to listen. Beautiful. I want to learn that one!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

A
A
Thanks for sharing! I thought this was a thoughtful and sensitive performance. And I'm only familiar with the more popular selections of the op. 11 preludes, so it was also nice to hear in that respect. The main comment I would make is that some of the rubato didn't work for me. It seemed like you slowed down at the ends of measures so often that it was a bit repetitive. Although you listened to my Rachmaninoff, so you know I'm not one to talk about this! grin Also, it seemed like your opening tempo was slower than the tempo you settled down to later (when you weren't accelerating).

I hope some of that makes sense! ha At any rate, very nice job.

Student and shamefully occasional pianist
Currently attempting:
Rachmaninoff - Preludes op. 23 nos. 4 and 7
Deciding between Mozart K. 310 and Beethoven op. 10 no. 3
Albeniz - Almeria from Iberia book II
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
@ Palmpirate--Thanks for listening! Glad you enjoyed it!

@ ansatz737--Yes!!! You are so right. In fact, after hearing this recording, one of my other online friends said, "What's the time signature? What's the tempo marking? Have you tried playing it in strict time?" LOL! And so I did play close attention to it after that and considered that I had just found one of those keys to unlocking the secret that I had been missing. Helps to read the score, doesn't it? crazy Thank you for listening and critiquing! I'll be back soon with a redux redux.

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Nice work. Short and sweet. Sounds great. smile

Charles Peck (American)--Metropolitan
Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Surprisingly, I have never heard this prelude before (that I can recall). Very very nice. I listened four times in a row, pulled up the score, and listened another three. Thank you for sharing. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
@ Schubertsleider -- Thank you!

@ Derelux -- Thank you!

And now for something slightly different...

Taking taking to heart ansatz737's comments, and the welcome chidings of my other online friend, here is this morning's version of my work-in-progress. The question is: SHAPING.

So, this is on the Lester, which has been ravaged by the spring-time humidity. Control is an issue at the moment until I can get a day to tweak the let-off. Not trying to make any excuses (you'll see what I mean! grin ), just reporting.

Comments regarding improvement are welcomed and expected:

https://www.box.com/s/6aekonu181xqp78d17vt

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission