2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,227 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 265 of 452 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 451 452
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Daniel, Welcome to AIO #1!

Sorry I missed your post from May 17 (I typically keep my eye on this thread).

I have enjoyed the Alfred All-in-One method. I think it has been great for my development. As far as progression in terms of time, that is hard to say. I have supplemented this method with several different books; so it has slowed me down in terms of completing pages in the book. If anything I have taken on too much. But on the flip side, by doing many different things, I have really worked my fingers. I have been very happy with how I have approached self-learning the piano. Honestly, I am amazed at how quickly all of it has come together. For where I am right now - I am still a raw beginner - I am very comfortable at the keyboard, well except for the pedal part.

For me, "Blow the Man Down" did not take long to get; but that is because I learned "Ach Du Lieber Augustine" (from Alfred's All-Time Favorites) first.

The other material that I have worked on includes:
Alfred's All-Time Favorites - excellent supplement to the method books, but starting to realize that I do not enjoy the some of the arrangements, I may move away from this book

Alfred's Greatest Hits - similar to the All-Time Favorites

Keith Snell's Essential Piano Repertoire - using for finger strength development, phrasing, dynamics, and dexterity

Alfred's Masterwork Classics - just purchased, first impression is that I like it better than the Snell book

Martha Mier's Romantic Sketches Book 1 - using this for pedal development (submitted a recital piece from this book)

So after all I have said, I have been thinking of putting everything aside and just finishing the Alfred All-in-One book. I am not sure. I try to practice several times a day in shorter intervals. So I tend to enjoy working on different pieces.

This turned out to be more of an autobiography than anything else; sorry about that. blush

So Daniel, keep us updated on your progress. Feel free to share your work and any tidbits you may discover while on this journey.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Congratulations Danial on your speedy work through of book 1. I do think it is an excellent series.

I myself did not work through book 1 as I had a teacher and we worked on similar pieces albeit a lot faster. Others on this forum seem to take between six months to a year for book 1 but I guess that depends on how much time you can devote to it, teacher influence, and of course some natural ability.

Book 2 & 3 are more challenging with longer pieces and varying technique. I am working from both books (and others) selecting pieces I like. I find 2 & 3 less sequential in terms of technique build up and so the trick is to not let yourself get stuck on one piece until "you get it right". Sometimes just learning a little from a piece is enough.

Good idea to start formal lessons in June. teachers prevent us from our worst enemies.......ourselves

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thanks for the replies. I should note that, other than dabbling with the Alfred Masterworks, and some video game music, I haven't really touched anything outside the Alfred book. I do sometimes feel that I am simply memorizing the pieces and playing them out without truly gaining skill. I have faith that it just seems that way because I am steadily increasing my skill requirements.

Today, I decided to record some video of myself playing through the substantial pieces so far. I'm not going to post any video (yet). I decided to try a few pieces after Lullaby (Joy the Word, Cockles & Mussels) and was able to sight read them with no mistakes at a slower tempo. It looks like "Got Those Blues" will be the next challenge.

I have been wondering lately if the individual method and lesson books would be better than the All In One. This question has come up several times over the years in this topic, but it seems most people don't consider it. I looked at sample pages of the method book and compared to the AIO, same sections, and the method book has about twice as much material. For the moment, I have decided to just stick with the AIO. I have to remind myself that these are just lesson books to learn, not pieces I will be playing years from now. I'll just pick up more method from videos online or a teacher.

I am excited to get my lessons going, but it seems the teacher schedules are changing in June, and they want to wait until then to get me on a regular schedule.

Playing: Yamaha GC2
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Daniel Corban
I do sometimes feel that I am simply memorizing the pieces and playing them out without truly gaining skill.

Danial, if you are memorizing and playing without difficulty then nothing is wrong. No one is expecting you to sight read and play. It just sounds like are finding the Alfred book 1 a little too light. Do not worry there are challenging days ahead.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I am up to Marines Hymn, and I can play it well, except I am trying to figure out how to go from D down to G without looking down when starting the DC al Fine. In measure 3, I can move from D (finger 1) to B (finger 3) by feeling for the B flat key, but I don't have a easy landmark for G.

Is this just a matter of learning the key placement or finger spacing over time? Should I just look down since it is at the end, and finding my place at the start will be relatively easy?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Is that down a fifth, D to G (rather than the much bigger move, down a twelfth)? I think you will start to be able to find it without looking over time, at least that's what I have experienced.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Don't worry Daniel, in time your fingers will find their way to the keys without the need to think much about notes and intervals, even I found out I could magically do that at some point, just keep going wink

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Your left hand is not doing much at that point so no harm in looking. It isn't a sin. smile

If you're familiar with an octave stretch with a fifth played by your second and/or third finger the fingering for this whole piece changes and very little looking (or finger changing) need be done at all.

Last edited by zrtf90; 05/24/13 02:53 PM.

Richard
It's just down a fifth, but my finger 2 is on D, and I need to get thumb all the way to G. I guess I'll just get used to moving a fifth with thumb. I can do 5th, 6th, and 7th no looking with finger 5, but down with thumb hasn't occurred much so far.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just finished the "G Major" unit! I had a ton of fun with these two tunes:

Why Am I Blue?

Good People

[Linked Image]
Good People is the first piece I just didn't like at all. I walked through it once and moved on. It's the first one I have skipped.

Sitting down at the piano later, I decided to give Good People another try. After going through the first two lines, I decided it was worth figuring out. After getting the tune correct a few times, I enjoy it. However, something sounds off, so I have a basic question.

Does the accidental B flat in the treble clef also apply to the bass clef? It is my understanding that it doesn't. However, the second note in the first measure of bass clef is a natural B, which sounds "off" to me. It actually sounds better as a B flat. By that point in the measure, there is an accidental B flat in the treble clef.

I tried searching for answers, but repeatedly on various forums and Q&A threads, there are conflicting answers, often one right after the other. Some people say accidentals only apply to that given octave, some say it applies to all octaves. Some people say it depends on the style of music or even the author. What is the real answer?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
At first I was not too excited about "Good People", but once I got the fingering down I really enjoy playing it. I added a little lilt to the eighth notes to give it a bit of a swing feel; thought it sounded better that way.

As far as the accidental, there is a thread where this was addressed with source documentation: https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...%20-%20do%20they%20appl.html#Post2038542 The link goes to the relevant post, but you can read the whole thread too.

The bottom line is that, in this case, the flat only applies to the treble clef. The bass clef, or any other octave, would need its own accidental.

[Linked Image]
That post answers the question perfectly, thanks.

I had my first lesson with a teacher the other day, and she showed me the "proper" way to play Good People, adding the long/short jazz feel not printed on the sheet music. The book actually mentions this long/short/long/short thing earlier, but I didn't understand what it was trying to convey. The song sounds a lot more interesting now.

I am getting Little Brown Jug down pat and working on Chiapanecas. I am also diving deep into the Masterworks book.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
she showed me the "proper" way

I think with jazz there are many ways to play the long/short eighth notes. One of the fun things about jazz.

I am getting Little Brown Jug down pat and working on Chiapanecas. I am also diving deep into the Masterworks book.

That is exactly where I am. Have started "Auld Lang Syne".

[Linked Image]
Can anyone please suggest me any follow up piano pieces that I can possibly learn to play after completing the Alfred level 1 book?

Thanks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
90abyss, I think you need to find books or sheets of music you want to learn and play. You may want to try the Alfred Masterworks Classic series.

There are several threads devoted to this topic; search the forum and you will discover many options.

[Linked Image]
You'd have to define "completing" the book. You can play all of the extra pieces at the end?

I only have significant experience with the Alfred books. For classical, I have the Masterworks books. For contemporary, there are the all time favourites and pop hits books, along with many others in the Alfred library, all assigned "levels" so you know which book to choose.

I find that some video game music is within reach. For example, themes from old Nintendo games such as Super Mario Bros or Legend of Zelda. The NES didn't have many sound channels, so the music, when arranged to be similar to the actual game, is relatively simple.

M
M
Originally Posted by 90abyss
Can anyone please suggest me any follow up piano pieces that I can possibly learn to play after completing the Alfred level 1 book?

Thanks.

I think you can try "Fist lesson in Bach".

Current Work:
  • Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Level 1
  • Methode Rose
  • Suzuki Piano School Volume 1 & 2

Start Date: 11/01/2013
Page 265 of 452 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission