Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
129 registered members (AnnInMiami, ADWyatt, Akaitsuki, AnthonyPaulO, alexk3954, anamnesis, agraffe, Animisha, anotherscott, 32 invisible), 1,248 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 50 of 72 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 71 72
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2085745
05/20/13 12:54 PM
05/20/13 12:54 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 79
Iowa
D
DashanDad Offline
Full Member
DashanDad  Offline
Full Member
D

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 79
Iowa
I’m reconditioning a Betsy Ross Spinet that is already in pretty good interior shape for my daughter. It was a free piano but we went on a piano hunt when her keyboard broke and this practically fell out of the sky for us. It isn’t our final destination piano but I don’t want to feel rushed to buy a piano. I want to make an educated purchase and get a better sense of how it will go with the little one. I’m thinking used Yamaha studio or institutional. Unless the right baby grand presented its self. I like the history of the turn of the century pianos and day dream of owning a reconditioned grand.

She is 5 and bi lingual Russian/English. She likes the piano but we do have the practice fights. I grew up with a grandfather that was an excellent player but didn’t have the interest to learn until the opportunity was gone… with his pianos in the estate sale. I later regretted that.

I’ve been piggybacking on my daughters lessons and letting her teach me how to do it. I used to teach ballroom and there is nothing that helps solidify learning like having to teach it to someone else.
My focus right now is getting her going and taking my first exam for business statistician’s problem solving (6 sigma/quality process analyst). Hopefully that will precede a move up the food chain and serious piano shopping can commence. Test is June 1.
Then I’d like to look at self study materials and the occasional lesson myself.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2085771
05/20/13 01:29 PM
05/20/13 01:29 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 54
C
carolinagirl Offline
Full Member
carolinagirl  Offline
Full Member
C

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 54
Hi! I guess since I have been posting here for a week or so, it's time to formally introduce myself. I am married, 54 years old with two grown kids and 3 grandkids. I live on and run a small farm (more of a homestead) where we raise a lot of our food (sheep, chickens, veggies, beef, etc). I have wanted to play the piano for years. Every time I here someone playing, I think how much I'd love to be able to do that. So finally I am!

Last month I bought a Yamaha CLP 440 and I have taken 3 lessons so far. My teacher says I am catching on very fast. I am interested in playing Classical and Boogie Woogie. I know....sort of like opposite ends of the spectrum. I can play a simplified version of 12th Street Rag at a decent tempo and can play the beginning section of Fur Elise along with quite a few other beginning type songs. I am enjoying it very much!

I am very happy I discovered this forum. I am really quite amazed at how thorough many of the answers are! Many of you are excellent teachers and very generous with your time, judging by the detailed answers I have seen here. I am looking to learning all I can from this group.

Cindy


Yamaha CLP 440 Delivered on April 16 2013
Started playing piano April 16 2013
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: OakOMalm] #2085795
05/20/13 02:30 PM
05/20/13 02:30 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 469
UK
G
Goof Offline
Full Member
Goof  Offline
Full Member
G

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 469
UK
I'll probably be shot down for what I write here:
I don't bother much about sight reading because, I know the method of constructing major and minor scales,and thus key signatures. I do not bother much about time as I play for my own pleasure.
BUT I do carefully go through each piece and work out and write in the best fingering before even trying to learn it.
I do make certain that I have heard the piece a few times and like it so much that I will enjoy learning it. It may take me an age to learn the piece but it is great when I can playthe whole thind at any reasoable speed and THINK about how I will vary tone and anything elce, sometimes with my eyes shut just for fun.

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: Goof] #2085883
05/20/13 04:39 PM
05/20/13 04:39 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
Originally Posted by Goof
I'll probably be shot down for what I write here:
I don't bother much about sight reading because, I know the method of constructing major and minor scales,and thus key signatures. I do not bother much about time as I play for my own pleasure.
BUT I do carefully go through each piece and work out and write in the best fingering before even trying to learn it.


No one will shoot you down on this forum Goof, we are all very different in our approach to our learning.


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10


13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2085884
05/20/13 04:41 PM
05/20/13 04:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
Welcome aboard DashanDad and carolinagirl, look forward to hearing how your journey's progress.


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10


13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2086113
05/21/13 03:58 AM
05/21/13 03:58 AM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,048
Lisbon, Portugal
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,048
Lisbon, Portugal
Welcome to PW, DashanDad and carolinagirl!


[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2088972
05/26/13 01:02 AM
05/26/13 01:02 AM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 7
P
Pivotal Offline
Junior Member
Pivotal  Offline
Junior Member
P

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 7
Hi guys, after reading a slew of threads on this forum over the past few days I decided to join in on the fun and hopefully contribute to the valuable resource that is Pianoworld.

I'm 25 and reside in Sydney Australia. I've decided to start playing the piano within the last few months where I've been making slow but steady progress through self teaching. It has been a very rewarding experience so far.

Very happy to be on board and looking forward to learning and sharing with you all.

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2089323
05/26/13 05:16 PM
05/26/13 05:16 PM
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 7
D
Dumik Offline
Junior Member
Dumik  Offline
Junior Member
D

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 7
Hi everyone! I´m 20 years old guy from Finland. I started to play the piano about 4 months ago (end of January) and i´m playing like 70% by myself and 30% with my mom, who was a pretty good pianist when she was young. At the moment i´m playing with cheap digital piano(Hemingway DP201), which does its job, but of course i`m dreaming of an acoustic piano. So far I haven´t studied any music theory apart from notes, I just like to play more than study. I started my piano "career" by picking one nice piece and just playing that with my moms help. It took me quite a while to learn that piece, but in the end i managed to play it pretty nicely. I feel that it was really useful to learn that piece because I learned a lot just by trying play it over and over again. I also learned some notes and I could learn my next pieces much faster than that first one. So far I have learned almost 3 pieces. I know that its not very fast learning process (like 1.5 months/piece), but I´m playing only 30-60 minutes per day, because I have a lot of other studying to do. And those pieces are pretty hard, at least for me, so let these be my excuses. So far I have enjoyed piano so much and I feel like my passions is growing every day and its very hard to think something else than piano.

I´m very happy that I found this forum because there are not that many places in the internet where you can talk with other people who are also beginners with piano.


Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2089589
05/26/13 10:47 PM
05/26/13 10:47 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
Welcome Dumik, you will find it very common to take quite a time to learn new pieces. This has been a great revelation to myself initially thinking just pure enthusiasm would get me through.

As you said you are learning something important from each new piece you choose. After playing for only six months myself I love how almost every day I can learn something new. I wonder though if these might by the halcyon days when advancement seems fast.

Must be fantastic to be able to play piano with your mother (or any family member). I trade daily emails with my brother who is also learning but on the other side of the world.


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10


13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2090906
05/28/13 08:58 PM
05/28/13 08:58 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
I have already introduced myself on this thread a while back, but I received this youtube clip today a friend had put together, and I thought I would share it with my new piano friends.

In 2012 we trained and competed in Australia's toughest ultra marathon, 175km of torture.
The race finish is a little signpost which you kiss (not compulsory). I am the one photographed almost falling over as I kneel to kiss the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=onWcOqrmcTQ


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10


13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2090919
05/28/13 09:16 PM
05/28/13 09:16 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,035
NH
D
dynamobt Offline
1000 Post Club Member
dynamobt  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,035
NH
That was some serious racing you used to do!!!!! Support hose for the runners?? Piano is much easier!!!!!


1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2091322
05/29/13 11:34 AM
05/29/13 11:34 AM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,035
NH
D
dynamobt Offline
1000 Post Club Member
dynamobt  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,035
NH
I realized last night that my "support hose" comment came off the wrong way. I was simply surprised that ultra running would cause leg fatigue so bad that runners would try to compensate. Makes sense actually. I was a sprinter when I ran in HS an college. I'm in awe of anyone who can run distances.


1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: dynamobt] #2091817
05/29/13 11:41 PM
05/29/13 11:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
Originally Posted by dynamobt
I realized last night that my "support hose" comment came off the wrong way. I was simply surprised that ultra running would cause leg fatigue so bad that runners would try to compensate. Makes sense actually. I was a sprinter when I ran in HS an college. I'm in awe of anyone who can run distances.


Dynamobt, I sort of guessed the compression calf guards may have looked a bit odd to an outsider. However compression garments have become very popular with some believing wearing them helps in recovery. For most though they act as protection against cuts when running through high grass or bushy areas.
As a sprinter in your school days I am sure you had to work pretty darn hard, distance runners are just lazy people who prefer to slow everything down and do it over a longer timeframe.


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10


13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: dynamobt] #2091879
05/30/13 01:34 AM
05/30/13 01:34 AM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 169
Colorado
C
carlos88 Offline
Full Member
carlos88  Offline
Full Member
C

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 169
Colorado
Originally Posted by dynamobt
I realized last night that my "support hose" comment came off the wrong way. I was simply surprised that ultra running would cause leg fatigue so bad that runners would try to compensate. Makes sense actually. I was a sprinter when I ran in HS an college. I'm in awe of anyone who can run distances.


Heck, the clothes are nothing - you should see the food some people chow down during the longer ultras. (I paced a friend twice at the Leadville 100, and swear someone guzzled a whole can of cheese whiz at one of the rest stops the second year...)

I could never keep anything down during marathons, so watching my friend eat a pack of tortillas with various toppings and then start off again impressed me too.




I'd rather play badly than not at all...
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2091928
05/30/13 05:10 AM
05/30/13 05:10 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
Alas I am no longer running but still chowing down the worst food.........somethings going to have to give


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10


13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2101067
06/11/13 05:41 PM
06/11/13 05:41 PM
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
BC, Abbotsford, Canada
S
Satoshi Offline
Junior Member
Satoshi  Offline
Junior Member
S

Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
BC, Abbotsford, Canada
Hello everyone, my name is Jonah, but people can call me by my real name or user name, either or is fine. smile

I am new to piano, or sort of new to music in general. I've played classical guitar for over a year now but when I really paid attention to piano, its very much like classical guitar but so much more versatile. So I really want to learn how to play!!

I've never thought of joining a forum full of musicians so I was quite excited to see one as big as this forum. I hope to learn lots and look forward to meeting whoever comes my way. ^^

Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2101210
06/11/13 09:36 PM
06/11/13 09:36 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 525
Amsterdam, Holland
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member
PaperClip  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 525
Amsterdam, Holland
Hi Satoshi,

Welcome to this forum!


Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2103015
06/15/13 06:45 PM
06/15/13 06:45 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,048
Lisbon, Portugal
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,048
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi Jonah and welcome to PW!
What kind of music/style do you prefer?


[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2103056
06/15/13 09:11 PM
06/15/13 09:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,336
Australia
Welcome Jonah, I don't think I have ever been called a musician but I think I'll take the compliment. A fellow countryman of yours and I think he is in BC too has a great online selection of piano tutorials worth checking out.

http://www.howtoplaypiano.ca/


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10


13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: OT, Tell us about yourself [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2103291
06/16/13 11:50 AM
06/16/13 11:50 AM
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 174
T
TomInCinci Offline
Full Member
TomInCinci  Offline
Full Member
T

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 174
Age 56, started piano in November. I find it very hard and begin each practice by suspending disbelief and opening the book.

Married with 2 kids, tired all the time.

I've been a software developer since 1984. At times I think this hinders learning music. I was a 3rd generation journeyman carpenter when I was young but did not like it.

I have 3 dogs who keep me busy!

I've been a pilot since 1979 and instrument rated since 2000. Laugh all you want but I see MANY similarities between piano lessons and flight training. One on one instruction is way different from classroom training, at least in my book.

If you listen to Pandora and use the 'Why Was This Track Selected' feature, then I would tell you that I appear to really like prominent rhythm piano, acoustic sonority, and a couple of other things I don't understand yet!

Page 50 of 72 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 71 72

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
give me a Chopin
by Elysia. 04/24/19 01:36 PM
Digital pianos and humidity (Kawai CA98 vs CA78)
by alexk3954. 04/24/19 01:08 PM
Entry level piano for around €500?
by CyberGene. 04/24/19 01:03 PM
How do I upload songs?
by ADWyatt. 04/24/19 11:40 AM
Gear Poll
by puremusic. 04/24/19 11:25 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,643
Posts2,821,315
Members93,137
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.2