2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I recently raised my keyboard stand to a higher level, so that when doing solo gigs I do not feel like I am sitting on the floor.

I raised the piano-style bench to 26", and that is a good height, but proved uncomfortable.

Several manufacturers make drum thrones with well-padded bicycle-style seats that go up to 26", most notably Roc-n-Soc, and TAMA.

Anybody have any experience with these, or with anything if playing at a sitting height of 26" or so?

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
rocket88, I have read your post, here:

I recently raised my keyboard stand to a higher level, so that when doing solo gigs I do not feel like I am sitting on the floor.

I raised the piano-style bench to 26", and that is a good height, but proved uncomfortable.

Several manufacturers make drum thrones with well-padded bicycle-style seats that go up to 26", most notably Roc-n-Soc, and TAMA.

Anybody have any experience with these, or with anything if playing at a sitting height of 26" or so?

I have lots of experience - sort of - but not playing drums.

There are lost of drum stools of different expense and quality. I tried to use a drum stool I had for my old Clavanova but found first of all It was either too short or I was not able to keep it at the right hight. If it is a drum stool with a key to adjust it, the feet will slide down or the post of the seat will side down and it will not easily keep the adjustments so I would use a hose clamp on the seat post. The drum stools are often very, very heavy because guys weigh a lot if they are over 35! years old and drink lots of beers to keep the hand pain medicated from banging on the drums. The other thing is that drum stools are great for a drummer or for other purpose, but the trouble with piano players is that they reach to the left and the right to play octaves and these drums stools aren't that stable - in the context of - a piano bench is sold, very solid, but the drum stool is wobbly if you will - is not good if you have to have perfect postion to play a note based on sitting at middle C etc. If you notice drummers sit pretty straight up and reach out to the cow bell, etc. I haven't seen any weight shifting like I do with piano players.

So by all means try and buy a drum throne but be sure to test it thoroughly playing the piano/digital piano.

As I recall from years ago, drum thrones that are good - and sturdy - cost mega bucks.

cheers, and good luck

Last edited by Michael_99; 05/26/13 08:33 PM.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I use the Roc-N-Soc extended drum throne and love it!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NRXOK/

Mine is set high enough to play standing or sitting. I love the shock absorber and the thick padding. It folds up nicely and doesn't weigh all that much. I'm 6ft 2 and 240 lbs, if it supports me without collapsing it will hold about anyone.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
R
R
I use a large DW throne for gigs - it's very comfortable. No problems, bit heavy to move around but I really like it.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the replies...KBeaumont, I was considering the same throne, to be used similarly...thanks!

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Thought about it. Went to music store and messed around with drum thrones and foldable piano benches. Found out why a piano bench is two widths wide. Some stuff you play one cheek to the left if you don't want to lean though the whole thing.
I've got a legless slab Yamaha. I thought I found a good stand/table to put the piano on, then tried searching for the bench. (im on the tall side, no way I can fit my knee under a standard acoustic piano keyboard) Gave up on that. So built an unpadded bench. One day at a jam I sat the piano on the bench. There were standard folding chairs there for the jam. Just for a lark, I grabbed a folding chair and left the piano on the bench. I liked it enough that's the way I still set up. Folding chairs are every where. Everybody at our gigs, if they're sit down gigs, use folding chairs. If I want to play a little more to the bass end I tug the piano to the right.

nada

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission