Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Beemer, anotherscott, 2Keys, butchkoch, bluebikes6, Akash, 14 invisible), 1,003 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2088488 - 05/25/13 09:02 AM "chimey" sample on Casio PX150 fix with midi?  
onyaw Offline
onyaw  Offline

I hope someone can help. I am a midi newbie although not afraid of tech, so hopefully it will be easy for someone to help.

I recently bought a Casio PX150 because it is light, is is really nice for touch, I did not need the extra bells and whistles for the more expensive px350 and the sampled pianos are not bad...except for the second octave above middle C. It is far too "chimey" (bell-like) - even through an external amp, on either the 'concert' or 'modern' piano sample (need one or the other for jazz). I have tried to mess with reverb/chorus and external eq and can only improve it a little. The only satisfying sound is when its playing with loud accompaniment to eat the chiminess, but I also need quiet too.

So I wanted to try midi. I can go through a mac laptop or (preferrably) an iPhone. I see there are some commercial adaptors for iphones for this and available samples. But this piano only has the USB/midi not the standard midi 5 pin din/out that the 350 has.

So I am unsure how to proceed; are there USB/midi-in adaptors? Will this work well (e.g. without delay) for live playthrough (the piano manual mainly discusses it for recording and mixing)? Does someone know if there is an iPhone adaptor that can take standard USB in?

Is this all worth it, or has someone succeeded in improving this kind of sound artifact with analog fixes?

Thx in advance for your help

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

#2088491 - 05/25/13 09:29 AM Re: "chimey" sample on Casio PX150 fix with midi? [Re: onyaw]  
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
I`m using a software piano through my DGS630 with no problems if that`s similar to what you`re after. I do have an "out" connection to a computer which I have to use, but no DIN type plugs. I know someone on one of the sites here who uses a piano like yours. He`s called "Inlanding" and uses software on it; I would imagine he`d be happy to help.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
#2088500 - 05/25/13 09:48 AM Re: "chimey" sample on Casio PX150 fix with midi? [Re: onyaw]  
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member
Scott Hamlin  Offline
500 Post Club Member

You should be able to hook
into the Mac laptop directly
from the Privia (USB B to USB A)..

I doubt you will find a iphone
app that sounds better than
the internal or Mac sounds,
but if you want to do this I
believe you need a camera
kit for your iphone (plugs
into the docking port of the
iphone and provides a USB
connection).

Any usb cable will work..
you don't need a special MIDI cable
or adapter to get this to work.

#2088501 - 05/25/13 09:51 AM Re: "chimey" sample on Casio PX150 fix with midi? [Re: onyaw]  
toddy Online content
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Portugal
All digital pianos are equipped with midi, so if you don't have the standard midi din sockets (5 pins) then the USB will already be designed to send/ receive midi direct to computer.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symphonic Orchestra & Choirs / Sample Mod, Trumpet 3 / Garritan CFX lite / Imperfect Samples Steinway / Production Grand C7 compact
Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2088591 - 05/25/13 12:46 PM Re: "chimey" sample on Casio PX150 fix with midi? [Re: onyaw]  
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by onyaw
Does someone know if there is an iPhone adaptor that can take standard USB in?

On the iPad, you'd use the Camera Connection Kit, but last I checked, this did not work on a stock iPhone. However, apparently there is a way to make it work if your phone is jailbroken.

I think the iConnectMIDI will do what you want, but it's been discontinued and may be hard to find.

#2088699 - 05/25/13 04:29 PM Re: "chimey" sample on Casio PX150 fix with midi? [Re: anotherscott]  
o0Ampy0o Offline
500 Post Club Member
o0Ampy0o  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by onyaw
Does someone know if there is an iPhone adaptor that can take standard USB in?

On the iPad, you'd use the Camera Connection Kit, but last I checked, this did not work on a stock iPhone. However, apparently there is a way to make it work if your phone is jailbroken.

I think the iConnectMIDI will do what you want, but it's been discontinued and may be hard to find.

I did a quick search and the iConnectMIDI is available at Amazon ("13 in stock" as of this moment). Their website does state the product has been discontinued as do other sources though.

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI

#2088946 - 05/25/13 10:41 PM Re: "chimey" sample on Casio PX150 fix with midi? [Re: o0Ampy0o]  
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Richmond, BC, Canada
1. How will using MIDI improve the sound?

It will let you generate _all_ the sound from the Mac, but you'll need a piano software synth (Pianoteq, or "Vintage D", or something like that) to generate sound better than the PX-150 built-in sound.

2. Have you tried adjusting the PX-150 menu "Brightness" or "Brilliance" control? It should be in the "Effects" group, I think.

3. What loudspeakers are you using?

4. What equalizer have you used, and how was it set?

. Charles

PS -- The PX-150 isn't perfect, but most people don't report your particular problem. So we should eliminate other causes, before blaming the PX-150.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
#2088967 - 05/25/13 11:17 PM Re: "chimey" sample on Casio PX150 fix with midi? [Re: Charles Cohen]  
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dewster  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Northern NJ
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
PS -- The PX-150 isn't perfect, but most people don't report your particular problem. So we should eliminate other causes, before blaming the PX-150.

Well, I'll second it. For all the good Casio is doing lately, I don't think the AP voice is being shepherded sufficiently. The upper mids sound kind of fake or forced somehow (to me) which is disappointing.

#2089077 - 05/26/13 08:00 AM Re: "chimey" sample on Casio PX150 fix with midi? [Re: onyaw]  
onyaw Offline
onyaw  Offline

Thanks for your various replies, they give me some things to try.

Charles, I do think the sampled piano in some ranges is indeed better than my old, 70 lb Yamaha p150, for example, more 'life' to it. Except too much life up high - there it needs to be duller especially when playing solo. I have worked with the 'brilliance' control in the unit and I can make it worse but not better.

For external speakers I use a 9-band eq. and give it a shallow U-shape and there is slight improvement. Admittedly I've not tried radical things like just shutting down the highest freq's completely, I will try that next. The amp depends on the venue. For larger venues I use a Roland beast (15' woofer plus tweeter). The eq is helpful (but not perfect). For smaller venues I use an 8" speaker guitar amp; whether the eq helps depends on the room. I do not think there is any cure for the on-board speakers - they are pretty awful.

On balance, for the price and the weight, I really do like this keyboard (except for the onboard speakers and a couple of other features that are lacking on the px150 compared with the 350, e.g. output options; tremolo control for the organ), in my book for performance it definitely wins compared to the similar one from another company, and not just because its $100 cheaper. It will be interesting to see what the Casio's lifespan is. I just wish the piano sound was more perfect.

#2089441 - 05/26/13 06:56 PM Re: "chimey" sample on Casio PX150 fix with midi? [Re: onyaw]  
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Richmond, BC, Canada
dewster has better ears than I do. But I hate to give up easily.

A suggestion, FWIW:

Turn off the amps, and plug in a pair of headphones.

Start with the EQ flat. [Middle C is 256 Hz; C above that is 512 Hz, C above that is 1 kHz.]

Test that the "chime" is still present, with headphones. If it has disappeared, it's caused by a resonance (or bad EQ) in your loudspeakers, not by the PX-150. [The cure may be the same as what I suggest below . . . ]

Let's say the problem notes are between 512 Hz and 1 kHz. "Chimey" suggests that the problem isn't with the fundamental frequency, but with higher harmonics.

Reduce the EQ slider(s) to -6 dB for the frequency range that includes the _second harmonic_ of the pitch range -- that is, 1.5 kHz - 3 kHz. See if that improves the sound. [If it "improves" so much that it's dull, try -3 dB instead of -6).

If not, flatten the EQ again, and reduce the sliders for the _third_ harmonic (2 kHz - 4 kHz).

With luck, you'll find an EQ setting that compensates nicely for the "chimey" range, without destroying the sound of all the other notes.

I have read many warnings, in different places, against trusting the sound of a guitar amp. And some warnings here, about trusting the sound of a keyboard amp. But you _do_ have to fix the chime . . .

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker

Moderated by  Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A flying concert grand piano - fun!
by Rich Galassini. 01/21/18 07:38 AM
Melville Clark Apollo Grand - What to do?
by PGA Rick. 01/20/18 11:09 PM
Wanted: Verituner 100
by Will Horne. 01/20/18 10:30 PM
Help - rhythm
by Moo :). 01/20/18 07:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,889
Posts2,689,046
Members89,486
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission