2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Classical pianists are usually a lot more demanding of the piano they play than jazz pianists - not surprisingly, since classical music relies a lot more on voicing (in the classical sense - polyphonic strands in complex passages as well as chords) and tonal production, including of course fast, even passagework; and may choose a different piano (if they have the clout to do so), depending on the program they are playing.

In extreme cases, you have Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli touring Europe with his two Steinways - one for Beethoven, the other for Debussy. I couldn't discern much difference in their sounds per se when I attended that concert, but obviously he could, and he certainly adopted a different touch and articulation for the different composers (the Beethoven angular and abrasive, the Debussy all muted and pastel colors).

Watch the video/DVD 'Pianomania' to see Pierre-Laurent Aimard's long quest for a piano for his forthcoming Bach recording and concert, and almost driving his technician nuts with his demands......... grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Joe - the "new" Pleyels? I thought Pleyel went out of business (several times). If they have resurrected this company with a performance-grade piano line, that's good news. If the new Pleyel is nothing but another consumer-grade "stencil brand", that's NOT good news.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hi Alma,

Pleyel have gone out of business several times, and for a while Schimmel actually made Pleyel. Of course, they were Schimmel pianos with the Pleyel name, so they were actually quite good.

These days I believe that they are a fully hand built grand piano made in France, and they are very expensive. Perhaps they see themselves in the league of Fazioli or something. I haven't seen any of the most recent pianos.

YAMAHA Artist
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by belsha
This being said, Steingraeber makes wonderful pianos, without any question some of the best in the world. In Europe, by the way, they are about 10% cheaper than Steinways (Hamburg, of course), and Boesendorfer, Fazioli, and Bechsteins, which all cost about the same price.

Belsha, you have just given me another good reason to visit France! wink

In America, most Steingraeber models retail for much MORE than a comparably-sized Steinway (Hamburg or New York), Bluthner, Bechstein, Boesendorfer, Fazioli, etc.

Vive la France!

Anybody who has travelled the world, been to many trade shows, seen and played a great many pianos knows the situation: there's many great pianos out there.

Sometimes the landscape shifts a bit or a particular model by one maker leaves an indelible mark on one's mind but it's never just "one" nor does it stay that way.

Thinking that the discussion as in this thread should impress that "variety is spice of life" not as is naively presumed, eating steak and lobster every single day.

Those who keep writing about all kinds of makes and models without even knowing them, as seems to freqeuntly be the case here, are encouraged to do so.

It may give them the curious impression that once you played the "best of the best", another nice girl will be giving you soon the wink.

Final lesson to be learned: pianos can be as seductive as women....

Norbert wink

Last edited by Norbert; 05/22/13 11:50 AM.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Replying to both of belsha's carefully considered and thoughtful posts (a relief from other's arch poses and crushing rejoinders) - one would have to say Amen to almost everything.

At the end of the day there is the Matterhorn of the occasional, well-regulated and evenly voiced Steinway D. It will always be the ultimate for most baby-boomer Americans. I have to say that it is for me. For those contemplating a career it has always been No.1 and I see no end in sight.

However, one might, quite privately prefer to LIVE with another sound world. Being an American, I love the tone of a vintage M&H. For an older generation it could well be a Chickering.

But I think that one discounts the Steingraeber at one's own risk. It might come from a provincial German house, but it is an extraordinary piano, no qualifications of any kind and the astounding thing is that the full range of both grands and even verticals all have distiction. The seductive quality of which our Norbert speaks is palpable.

Just my feeble opinion.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Almaviva

...In America, most Steingraeber models retail for much MORE than a comparably-sized Steinway (Hamburg or New York), Bluthner, Bechstein, Boesendorfer, Fazioli, etc.

I'm not sure that's all correct. At least when I did my hunt, Faziolis were running higher, and I'd be surprised if Steingraebers were retailing for MUCH more than Hamburg Steinways or Bosies. Bechsteins, yes.

Last edited by ClsscLib; 05/22/13 01:30 PM.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Hmmm. I must have transposed some numbers in my spreadsheet.

I recalculated, and the Steingraeber models had a significantly higher Suggested Maximum Price in the latest "Piano Buyer" than did comparably-sized Steinways (both factories) and Bluthners. However, the Steingraebers, Bosendorfers, Bechsteins and Faziolis were more evenly matched.

Sorry about that.

S
S
When I looked for a piano for my home, I played about 50 different makes, models, Steingraeber 212 was my favorite, followed by a Grotrian 209.. they are too expensive though, so I got a Steinway B. frown

Last edited by shortie; 05/22/13 02:15 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted by R_B
Not to wander too far into the ELECTRONIC domain, but isn't the HOPE that (one day, some day) these preferences will be "switch selectable" ?

NO !!

Get ye back to the evil digital corner!

If Yamaha masters the TransAcoustic technology it might become a reality. smile

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
It is certainly not my HOPE.

I don't think I'm alone in my attitude toward acoustic pianos. Electronic STUFF, is just that - It is not a piano and pianos don't need switches.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
G
G
I wouldn't mind owning a Steingraeber to add to my personal collection. I already have an August Forster 7', and a Steinway K though.

Making the world a better sounding place, one piano at a time...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission