2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 13 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I used to take lessons as a child 10+ years ago. I think I was at Fur Elise level or something, but I don't really remember anymore. I've started playing again for about a year, recently bought a nice upright and made a video.

My technique now is mostly self-taught so can anyone give me some comments on how I'm doing? Posture, height, wrist stuff? Thanks.

I'm also wondering if I should get a teacher. I'm interested in playing more contemporary pieces, mostly video game music (but good complex arrangements of it). Although now I've become also become interested in learning Lizst Consolation No. 3 and some Debussy, Clair de Lune and Arabesque (I'd also like to hear some recommendations for similar songs). But some of the rhythm and technique is a bit challenging for me, although I'm sure I can learn it fine self-taught. So maybe I can find a teacher who can work with me on these "classical" style pieces while I self-learn other pieces.

I guess I'd like to learn some theory too, to be able to write/improv arrangements like the one in my video. Jazz piano is very interesting for me but seems difficult. Would a teacher teach both classical stuff for technique and some basic jazz piano?

Anyway here is the video: I also submitted another piece to the latest recital (I'm #20)

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Allan W.
I used to take lessons as a child 10+ years ago. I think I was at Fur Elise level or something, but I don't really remember anymore. I've started playing again for about a year, recently bought a nice upright and made a video.

My technique now is mostly self-taught so can anyone give me some comments on how I'm doing? Posture, height, wrist stuff? Thanks.

[Linked Image]

You appear to be seated a little far back on the bench, but otherwise everything looked great from what I noticed (disclaimer: I'm not a teacher!). If the height and wrist technique allowed for your playing to be comfortable and pain-free, then it works for me.

I'm also wondering if I should get a teacher. I'm interested in playing more contemporary pieces, mostly video game music (but good complex arrangements of it). Although now I've become also become interested in learning Lizst Consolation No. 3 and some Debussy, Clair de Lune and Arabesque (I'd also like to hear some recommendations for similar songs). But some of the rhythm and technique is a bit challenging for me, although I'm sure I can learn it fine self-taught. So maybe I can find a teacher who can work with me on these "classical" style pieces while I self-learn other pieces.

Good teachers are great because they can help you to more efficiently reach your goals. They can identify areas for improvement in your technique (how can we know if and when something's missing/lacking when we're not seasoned experts on the topic), in your musicality/interpretation, and in helping to get rid of and prevent any bad habits, be them physical or musical. As far as whether or not you think you'd click and/or have the discipline learning with one, read this post/thread here: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2084411.html#Post2084411

Although now I've become also become interested in learning Lizst Consolation No. 3 and some Debussy, Clair de Lune and Arabesque (I'd also like to hear some recommendations for similar songs)

These aren't suggestions for pieces to learn, but simply to listen to (not that you can't or shouldn't learn them eventually):
-anything by Chopin
-anything by Debussy
-The Seasons by Tchaikovsky
-Preludes by Rachmaninoff
-pretty much anything by other Romantic composers and/or listed here: http://solo.naxos.com/mainsite/blur...%20this%20Recording&language=English

Keep in mind the Romantic Period is only one of several musical eras. While a nice doorway into listening to classical, there are many other doors waiting inside...

I guess I'd like to learn some theory too, to be able to write/improv arrangements like the one in my video. Jazz piano is very interesting for me but seems difficult. Would a teacher teach both classical stuff for technique and some basic jazz piano?

You could learn theory from private lessons, but in my opinion it would sort of be like trying to learn high school algebra only from a private tutor - it works better in a class setting where there's more time (and where it's concurrently more affordable). Check the availability of classes at local community colleges. If this option isn't available, you can always learn from a teacher with a supplement of texts or visa-versa.

It's great you like jazz, too! While it uses similar physical techniques at the piano as classical music, the differences in styles are quite great. This means that few teachers are proficient in playing and/or teaching both in-depth - it's often one or the other (teachers do exist that can teach both, but you may need to put a little effort into finding one). Improvisation is also something few teachers seem to adequately address, but that's not to say some do. This is just another interview question for prospective teachers.

Anyway here is the video: I also submitted another piece to the latest recital (I'm #20)

Your playing sounds superb. The ability to play such a difficult arrangement with that level of experience is really impressive - good job. Did you encounter any particular hurdles trying to do this? This would be my fear in trying to self-teach difficult repertoire like Liszt or Debussy. Be it a lack of experience with varied/proper practice methods and/or lack of experience with and/or overcoming various technical hurdles, one - or both - of these deficits would surely either slow your learning down a great deal or simply make learning whatever difficult material impossible. Meanwhile, you'd also be at risk of physically hurting yourself practicing unfamiliar techniques without the watchful eyes of an experienced teacher.

C
C
BobPickle, What is this pulse advisory?

E
E
Allan that was wonderful performance. Piano is just like riding a bike a suppose. You never really forget. If you have the means to take private lessons, I encourage you to do so. Good piano teachers can certainly build up on what you already know and show you new skills along the way. But I'm sure you already know that...it's just a matter of finding the right teacher for your style of learning and for the types of music you want to play. Good luck and welcome to ABF!

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
P
P
The playing is great for the level of experience.

Just a few notes:
- The notes are not always synchronized
- Hand and fingers' position not always look right to me.

If you want to play classical music like pieces you mentioned, you would definitely benefit from having a good teacher, at least I cannot imagine doing it right without someone actually showing it to you and correcting bad practices.
Having a teacher is less important though if someone plays only popular music, not classics. IMO.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission