2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 16 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Have taken a new spin on Beethoven's "Moonlight" Sonata (first movement) as the total playing time is 3:16 as compared with Glenn Gould's recording which comes in at 4:16. I have managed to shave off one full minute from Gould's playing time:

https://www.box.com/s/mfhes1umawzxcv7y7jcy

And, here is Glenn's legendary take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD6pGV69fJI

Please note that we both impart our own dynamics to the piece which invariably will draw a few comments, for better or worse.

Increase the tempo and it raises the level of difficulty!

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
As a comment and nothing more.
I do prefer the faster playing, but is it your recording arangements or your instrument which makes the sound very "thin"

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
This seems overly loud. (didn't want to disappoint you smile ), and I could do without the electric piano in the mix too. I'm not sold on the faster tempo versions of this piece as they seem to lose any mood that I feel the music is famed for having. Your last statement begs the question, why not just play a harder piece?

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
The fast tempo I took was just in fun as it was not a serious attempt at a legitimate performance. I made the recording above at my newly acquired Clavinova CLP-990M. Here is another one (with serious intent) at a more reasonable tempo and is played using only the default "Grand Piano 1" preset, again at the CLP-990M:

https://www.box.com/s/xyw872ct88099bw963vv

And, here are better ones at the Roland V-Piano:*

https://www.box.com/s/zvdmxvz6p2q8aucui8mh

The recording above utilizes the default "Vintage 1" (Steinway "D" grand piano sound) with the V-Piano. This comes closer to an acoustic piano.

https://www.box.com/s/zq36ch5zpx0crl13lze5

This one uses the "Silver Extreme" strings preset with an increased decay time of +88 with the maximum being 100.

With the extra decay added it makes the V-Piano sound far more expressive like a real piano.

Hope that everyone enjoys the recordings.

*Extra note:

There is 16 seconds of silence in the first V-Piano recording and 19 seconds in the second one before playing starts.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I really like the Steinway D sound. Is that played on a Roland?
Quite frankly to me a faster tempo preferable. Slow is funerial and to me being out in the light of a full moon is great fun. Come to think about it I would not even bother to listen to the piece played by even the best pianist at what I suppose is the accepted tempo.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
pv88, I listened to both your "take" and Gould's take on this Movement -- sorry, but Gould by a mile! I happen to be partial to his no-nonsense approach to this movement; as Andras Schiff has indicated, Beethoven's specific directive is cut time, and in my opinion the intent is that of a straightforward song. That's, of course, a very odd way of starting a Sonata, but I really don't believe Beethoven intended this to be gloomily atmospheric and "profound"; if he had, he would have done so in the manner of some of the slow movements in his early Sonatas.

I guess it's because of this songful character, though, that I feel no urgency to break the 4- minute- mile barrier. The "singer", so to speak, has to be given time to breathe and shape the melody, and I just don't think that's possible at less than 4 1/4 minutes.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission