2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the review, shaolin! I just added this to my wish list on Amazon (you can add anything to that wish list - sold by Amazon or not) which is the default place my family goes to look for gifts for me!

Now if only my birthday or Christmas were coming up sooner.... wink

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JeanieA
Thanks for the review, shaolin! I just added this to my wish list on Amazon (you can add anything to that wish list - sold by Amazon or not) which is the default place my family goes to look for gifts for me!

Now if only my birthday or Christmas were coming up sooner.... wink

You are welcome and I hope someone picks it up for you! smile

B
B
I have had this same bench for about 6 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Very sturdy, but (bad for me) also very heavy. Facing back surgery in July and having to sell it. If you live in Eastern NC, look it up on Craigslist. Hate to part with it, but I will not be able to lift it after surgery and for some time afterward.

Bachelor of Music (church music)
Master of Church Music (organ, music education)
Piano Teacher since 1992
Church Musician since 1983
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by bmbutler
I have had this same bench for about 6 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Very sturdy, but (bad for me) also very heavy. Facing back surgery in July and having to sell it. If you live in Eastern NC, look it up on Craigslist. Hate to part with it, but I will not be able to lift it after surgery and for some time afterward.

Just out of curiosity, why are you lifting your piano bench? Mine stays put pretty much all of the time. I might give it a nudge here or there, but no reason to ever lift it off the ground.

H
H
My ex-girlfriend's violin is always in the box, I think that it is better for the violin which is much more weather sensitive than the piano.

S
S
nice bench! i want one too laugh

PLEYEL P124

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
They are also available on eBay with an "or best offer" listing. There are a number of color and finish variations to choose from. They are marketed from Jim Laabs Music where Shaolin purchased his bench. Me too.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I think that in a true comparison, it would be nice to have an inverted view of the Jansen side by side with the Frederick. The engineer in me says that there is a world of difference between the two benches in terms of the mechanism itself. Other than that, wood is wood and vinyl is vinyl. I hope it serves you for a long time.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Your room is looking so nice now, Shaolin. I particularly like the new artwork on the stair walls! ha

made you smile

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steven Y. A.
nice bench! i want one too laugh

haha thanks Steven! laugh
Originally Posted by John Pels
I think that in a true comparison, it would be nice to have an inverted view of the Jansen side by side with the Frederick. The engineer in me says that there is a world of difference between the two benches in terms of the mechanism itself. Other than that, wood is wood and vinyl is vinyl. I hope it serves you for a long time.

Yeah that would be nice to see how it looks. Never seen one of those.

Originally Posted by lilylady
Your room is looking so nice now, Shaolin. I particularly like the new artwork on the stair walls! ha

made you smile

Thanks, I stole them from my HT room laugh I must get some that match the rest of the decor soon, just wanetd to make sure they made a difference..and yes they do! laugh

S
S
Just wanted to revive this thread to thank you all for starting it.

I just received my Frederick Concert Series Ebony Polished bench today. I was looking for a substantial adjustable bench for many hours of daily practice. However, I'm in no position to spend $650 on a Jansen. While searching through the forums here, I came upon the thread to which Minnesota Marty refers above.

He tells the truth: people gave him all kinds of friction for mentioning the Frederick benches. Basically the sense I got from a lot of folks on that thread was this: if you are going to get a good bench, you should either get a Jansen or not get anything at all. Well, a lot of folks just cannot spend that kind of money on a bench. The Frederick bench is sturdy and beautiful at a fraction of the cost. No, it's not a Jansen; and no, the mechanism underneath is not exactly the same as a Jansen. But it's a real artist bench with a very sturdy mechanism, and it's sitting in my piano room right now.

I think I saw in another thread some musings on the fact that the address of the Frederick piano bench company is the same as that of Jim Laabs Music in Stevens Point, Wisconsin--the dealer that sells the Frederick bench. Some folks thought that was weird, and that the Fredericks must be sub-standard because they're a Chinese-made house brand.

I have no problem with this at all, and here's why. My daughter, who is now in her mid-20s, studied violin rather seriously during her middle-school and high-school years. At some point it came time to upgrade her instrument from the beginner model she used in elementary school.

We went to a very well known violin shop in the Virginia suburbs of DC and inquired. They demonstrated--and eventually sold us--their "house brand" instrument. It's a fine violin, albeit not a Stradivarius. We couldn't spend tens of thousands of dollars on an instrument for an advancing student. So we spent $1,600 on this shop's house brand. My daughter is perfectly happy with it, and she plays it still.

Thanks, Marty, for mentioning these benches. I had a good experience with Laabs Music and I'm happy with the bench.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Shepdave,

I still like mine and have no complaints at all. I think that Shaolin likes his, too. I'm sure you will enjoy yours, also.

Glad that the threads have been a help to you.

Do you want to show it off with a photo?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have to say, Marty,

That at that price, it's almost too good to be true. If it lasts longer than 3 years, you came out ahead.

the last time I bought a bench 20 years ago, it cost $600. Yes, I still have it, and I weigh about 200# at 6'1".

S
S
look shaolin, they linked this thread lol
http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/piano-benches-chairs/cat_19.html

PLEYEL P124
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Never mind the bench.

Let's straighten out the piano casters first, then look at bench again.

Plus piano - "gorgeous"

Norbert thumb

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

That's hilarious. But they asked you for permission first, right?

Previously: Kawai MP-10, 1980 Yamaha C7, 2012 Young Chang Y175
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Hi Shepdave,

I still like mine and have no complaints at all. I think that Shaolin likes his, too. I'm sure you will enjoy yours, also.

I'd like to see a photo taken with the bench turned upside down. What does it look like inside?

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
S
S
Originally Posted by kpembrook
I'd like to see a photo taken with the bench turned upside down. What does it look like inside?

See the photos Shaolin posted along with the original post of this thread. He has one of the mechanism with the bench upside down. I took a careful look at that photo before deciding to buy.

Basically the mechanism is like a scissor-jack, such as you might use for your car. It seems quite sturdy to me.

Last edited by shepdave; 07/21/13 08:59 AM.
R
R
Shaolin,
Great looking room, great looking piano, and the bench just looks it belongs to this piano.
Congrats on finding something that matches perfectly your piano.
I bet you even enjoy more your piano playing. (yeah, we tend to do that by enjoying little or big things that look nice in or around our piano).
I wish someday I will find such a bench that matches this good my own piano.

Rodolfo Grunberger
Piano amateur
Gebrüder Knake Grand, 7'1", circa 1895
Celaya, Mexico
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Hi Shepdave,

I sure do love mine indeed and thanks again for your recommendation. I have not been posting as much and missed all this comments..Dont have as much free time so I try to use it to play more than internet now laugh

OMG how did I miss that?! laugh They used my pics and quoted me, cool.

Originally Posted by Norbert
Never mind the bench.

Let's straighten out the piano casters first, then look at bench again.

Plus piano - "gorgeous"

Norbert thumb

Thanks! smile

Originally Posted by Allan W.

That's hilarious. But they asked you for permission first, right?

I provided them the link but nobody mentioned they will use my comments or pics for the website. I dont really mind it thought smile

Originally Posted by Rudy99golf
Shaolin,
Great looking room, great looking piano, and the bench just looks it belongs to this piano.
Congrats on finding something that matches perfectly your piano.
I bet you even enjoy more your piano playing. (yeah, we tend to do that by enjoying little or big things that look nice in or around our piano).
I wish someday I will find such a bench that matches this good my own piano.

That is so true..like those small details around me somehow create a sense of balance of peacefulness or whatever you want to call it that just makes it more inviting to play longer and longer.
I hope you find one soon.
Thanks! smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission