2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Allan W.
Experience:Used to take lessons as a child 10+ years ago. Recently started to play again for about a year.
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Shevat, the Wind is Calling
Composer:Zohar; Mitsuda
Duration:03:02
Source of music:OST from Xenogears, 1998 by Yasunori Mitsuda. Arrangement by zohar002.

Sheet music: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ru9pnj1oncgwn2d/shevat_the_wind_is_calling.pdf

Best version on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl-AXPwGSvM
Instrument used:Kawai MP-10
Recording method:Ivory American Concert D
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:This is my favorite piece, been learning it about a month now.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:dynamobt / Marilyn Burris
Experience:About 10 total off and on
Title of piece:Grande Valse Brilliante in A minor Op 34 no 2
Composer:Frederick Chopin
Duration:07:01
Source of music:Dover Editions Waltzes and Scherzos
Instrument used:1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:Zoom H2n
Additional info:Still too slow. But, I'm getting it there.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:PikaPianist
Video link:http://youtu.be/ZfIpJqNHoz8
Title of piece:Consolation No. 3, S. 172
Composer:Liszt
Duration:03:40
Instrument used:Kawai CS6 Digital Piano
Additional info:This is my first Liszt piece. So sweet and soothing!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mohan Karthik
Experience:3 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k-SyMGX6Y4
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/nemesisnitt
Title of piece:Greensleeves (Arr: David Nevue)
Composer:Traditional
Duration:03:32
Source of music:Sheet music (http://www.davidnevue.com/sheetmusic.htm)
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-430
Recording method:Wav recording on piano and converted using audacity
Additional info:I had super spicy curry. :)Wonderful to be back in Piano Forums after a really long time.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:anthonyb
Experience:With all the time off/on lately I have no clue where I actually stand here. smile
Title of piece:Discovery at Night
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:04:12
Source of music:In a Time Lapse sheet music book
Instrument used:Pianoteq v4.5
Additional info:It's been a long time since I've uploaded a piece (let alone posted to these forums publicly) but luckily that doesn't appear to be a requirement to participate in the recital! wink

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:kenjazz (Ken)
Experience:Around 5
Home page link:http://kenblog05.blogspot.com
Title of piece:See See Rider
Composer:Ma Rainey
Duration:05:41
Source of music:Fake sheet and sheet music that weren't very useful. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the arrangement used by Tommy Flanagan on his Sea Changes record. A reverse engineering tool by BIAB was somewhat useful.
Instrument used:Schimmel 120J Acoustic
Recording method:Audacity, Zoom H2, Band-in-a-Box accompaniment
Additional info:"See See Rider", also known as "C.C. Rider" or "See See Rider Blues" or "Easy Rider" is a popular American 12-bar blues song. It was first recorded by Gertrude "Ma" Rainey in 1924, and since then has been recorded by many other artists. The song uses mostly traditional blues lyrics to tell the story of an unfaithful lover, commonly called easy riders: "See See rider, see what you have done," making a play on the word see and the sound of easy.

My inspiration for this attempt at See See Rider was the late, great Tommy Flanagan. Recently I realized that after all of this time taking lessons, I've never played a basic 12-bar major blues. That probably explains a lot :-(

When I think of playing the blues on piano though, I don't think of playing blues piano. That sounds like a dumb statement. What I mean by that is: Blues piano is separate art form. If you look at instructional videos on the internet, or listen to players in a blues band, you see that the approach to playing is a style all its own.

When I think of how I would love to sound playing the blues, I think of Tommy Flanagan. Tommy played in a very bluesy style, and you could hear the roots influence, but he still brought those clever voicings and jazz quality to the song. One music reviewer described Tommy's blues as "so deep that they are almost purple". I have always loved his rendition of See See Rider, so I tried to steal as much of the arrangement as I could from what he was doing on the recording. See See Rider was on Tommy's final album (1997) titled Sea Changes.

This is a 12 bar blues in C with a number Tommy-esque embellishments in the arrangement. The unaccompanied intro starts with Eb blues, C blues, F blues, C blues. Tommy uses a number of four or 5 chord turnarounds that I've tried to use as well. For instance C-Am-Dm7-G7 right before going into the melody, or C-F7 shell 1- F7 shell 2- Dm7- Am7/G is one that is used often.

You will also hear that some of the chords are changed into a chromatic run starting on Dm7, and other chords are changed into minor ii-Vs. This is all pure Tommy stuff.

I tried to keep a rootsy blues feel to it while doing some of the solos with an eye towards not just the blues/pentatonic/dorian modes but also a little bit of altered scale stuff in there too.

You can see my blog post about this one at http://kenblog05.blogspot.com/2013/05/see-see-rider.html

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Ken
Experience:4
Title of piece:2 Part Invention No.14
Composer:J.S. Bach
Duration:02:13
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Milton Spinet
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:Time for something other than Monk for a change smile. I've been practicing this piece for 2 years believe it or not, but still can't get through it without a mistake. Time to move on. I enjoyed the counterpoint aspect of this tune as well as the harmonic progression. I can see why jazz musicians like playing his pieces.

I was reading a biography on the jazz pianist Bill Evans "How my Heart Sings" and there's an excerpt by Warren Bernhardt:

"Bill introduced me to the Bach two- and three part Inventions, which he loved dearly and sight-read almost to perfection. We marveled at their architecture and mathematical purity. He was convinced that the Inventions were the perfect exercises for a pianist, not too difficult, but each one a finger-bender and a gem."

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:CASINITALY (Cheryl)
Experience:3.5 years
Title of piece:An Old Romance
Composer:Stephen Heller
Duration:01:35
Instrument used:Yamaha P112N
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:I've just started in the Romantic period, this is my second piece (the first was Schumann's "Melody". I really enjoyed learning this piece, though at first I was quite intimidated by it! I learned about 4-5 new techniques while studying this piece and would encourage other new-ish players to look up Heller. He did a lot of "Studies" for early-intermediate and intermediate players. Lunch was spaghetti alla carbonara smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Augustina
Experience:1 year or so as a kid, then started up again a few years ago.
Title of piece:Hungary: Rapsodie Mignonne, Opus 410
Composer:Carl Koelling
Duration:04:31
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Piano at work
Recording method:cell phone
Additional info:I decided to take piano lessons at the University I attend. My piano teacher has been working with me on this piece since January.
Challenges for this piece...
1. I've had to practice chromatic scales, and scales a lot!:).. I still have trouble with the "runs"
2. My piano teacher has been trying to get me to add more "character" to the piece. I'm finding that kind of hard as this is not my style of music.
3. Memorization- I have to play it from memory for my final exam
4. rhythm and rushing- As you will probably be able to tell, there are several areas of the piece where I rush, and the rhythm is off.
5. There is an area towards the end where I'm not sure what some of the notes are:)... I really should learn those base clef notes...
6. Overall This was a challenging piece for me, but it was fun, and I think I've learned a lot:)
Hopefully you guys enjoy it!:)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:TrapperJohn
Experience:7 years +
Title of piece:Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (from "Les Miserables")
Composer:Claude-Michel Schonberg (music); Herbert Kretzmer & Alain Boublil (lyrics)
Duration:03:48
Source of music:Les Miserables - Piano/Vocal Selections (updated) from Hal Leonard
Instrument used:Yamaha Clavinova CVP-301
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:Deep into the 2nd Act of that remarkable entertainment phenomenon known affectionately as "Les Mis" the student Marius - having just fallen in love with Cosette (whose picture as a young girl adorns the musical's advertising posters)- joins his rebellious comrades on the barricades in the smoldering streets of Paris for the battle that is soon to explode there against the hardened and overwhelming forces of the oppressive, authoritarian government.

During the ensuing battle Marius is seriously wounded, but is carried off to safety through the sewers underneath the streets by Jean Valjean, his future father-in-law and the musical's chief protagonist, with the intrepid Inspector Javert - surely one of the musical theater's most tragic and yet strangely heroic "villains" - in hot pursuit.

Javert intercepts them, but then decides to allow them to continue their escape because - in one of the musical's many ingenious plot twists - Valjean had just recently saved Javert's life after he had been "outed" by the students as a government spy.

Some time later, while still recovering from his wounds, Marius quietly returns to the ABC Cafe where he and his fellow students had often met and where, during their inflamed discussions, they had "seen a world reborn", and where they had talked of and lit the flame for revolution.

But his friends were all killed on the barricades, and now all he sees here are "phantom faces at the window" and "phantom shadows on the floor" and, most agonizingly, those "empty chairs at empty tables". And it is at this point - overcome with great sorrow and personal loss - that he sings:

There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables,
Now my friends are dead and gone.

Here they talked of revolution.
Here it was they lit the flame.
Here they sang about tomorrow,
And tomorrow never came.

From the table in the corner
They could see a world reborn.
And they rose with voices ringing.
And I can hear them now,
The very words that they had sung
Became their last communion
On the lonely barricades at dawn.

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me
That I live and you are gone.
There's a grief that can't be spoken,
There's a pain goes on and on.

Phantom faces at the window,
Phantom shadows on the floor.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my fiends will meet no more.

Oh my friends, my friends don't ask me
What your sacrifice was for.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will sing no more.

Here's a marvelous rendition of this hauntingly beautiful song by Michael Ball from the 10th Anniversary Concert version (1995) at the Royal Albert Hall in London (watch this *after* you listen to my performance so I won't sound so bad by comparison!):

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables

Note that the actors who appear on stage behind Michael near the end of the song are his deceased comrades (his "dead friends")...

"Les Miserables" (based loosely on the monumental 19th century novel by Victor Hugo, which is, in paperpack edition, almost 1,500 pages long) is now the world's longest running - and many would say most passionately loved - musical. It is estimated that on a worldwide basis almost 70 million people have seen one of it's numerous live stage productions. It plays to capacity houses almost everywhere, and it is still constantly sold out in London 28 years after it started there in 1985. I suspect that there are fanatics who see it on a monthly or even weekly basis - I'm a piker since I've only seen it 7 times in various places - most recently in April at the famous old Hippodrome Theater in Baltimore - and will see it again early next summer!

Like opera it is a "sung-through" musical (no dialog) and it is filled from beginning to end with beautiful, powerful and emotionally overwhelming music that - again like opera - is very demanding vocally, requiring highly talented and professionally trained singers (which is why the movie version was so disappointing) - if possible you should see a live, stage version - put it on your "bucket list"!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Richard (zrtf90)
Experience:I've played the piano before. For years and years and months and months.
Title of piece:Fantasy in D minor, K. 397
Composer:Mozart
Duration:07:06
Source of music:Memorised from the score
Instrument used:Kawai CA95
Recording method:Hit the button and hope for the best! Direct to USB stick in this instance.
Additional info:This is one of the last pieces I started before I gave up piano in '95. It looks easy enough but it's difficult to present well as Mozart typically leaves so much space. I'm very excited at having brought it to a stage where I can enjoy developing it.

I have learned since the Mendelssohn recital how to record directly to a USB stick without the loss of volume I'd been getting hitherto so instead of having to set up the computer next to the piano for weekend recording work I'm now able to record my entire practise session or repertoire run-throughs and isolate the better tries using some audacious software.

I took advantage of this after sending in an early take of this fantasy. I took a few days away from the piano to analyse and prepare my next few pieces but went through some repertoire on Sunday and pressed 'record' on spec. This take was a clear improvement, despite a couple of oddities, and I had to resubmit and join in the 'Sunday Shuffle'.

This is not a piece that needs Romantic passion and I have tried to refrain from extremes and excesses in the interpretation as Mozart has varied the dynamics no wider than P and F. The only PP and FF are given by Mueller, who is thought to have added the final few bars, so I've ignored those markings. I've tried to hold a steady tempo, too, as Mozart has already used seven tempo indications and this piece needs a period of gestation before I start messing any further though a slightly faster choice might have hidden more of my technical shortcomings - it's harder to play slow and soft than fast and firm.

The presto cadenzas are still unruly and I need to improve the clarity and evenness before I work on any more speed (yet I don't think they need a lot more - a good contrast is sufficient) and the final allegretto still sounds hesitant and fragile. There's still a bit to do here before I let it sit for a while and mature but I'm very pleased with this.

I am indebted to dire tonic and Gary D. for their help with my Grieg piece from recital #29 which has not only helped this piece but my approach in general. I've found many reading errors and omissions I would have otherwise overlooked and it's due to them that I'm now getting better results from the instrument's sound settings.

I'm grateful for the many charitable comments I received last time and again to the organisers of this fabulous opportunity to inject motivation and a sharper focus into our work.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Greener / Jeff Green
Experience:Sporadically for years. More focused since joining Piano World.
Title of piece:Op. 69, No 1. - Waltz in A flat major
Composer:Chopin (Frederic)
Duration:03:15
Instrument used:Heintzman Normandie acoustic
Recording method:ADK A51 large condenser and AT8010 small condenser mics to Fireface UC (pre-amp on temporary rental) to Audacity.
Additional info:I've been working on 3 Chopin works in parallel. This one is the furthest along in development and so the one I've decided to present here.

Due to some life circumstance I had a very narrow window of recording opportunity for this recital. I'm not all to pleased with this recording. The melody in the final section before last "A" is not crisp and the tempo/expression in sections throughout, make me cringe now when I listen to it. As it is, the last section (after the con anima and to the end) was a separate take that I spliced in. I don't like to do that. I'd have preferred to just walk away and come back to record on another/better day. Unfortunately though, it was not an option for me this time around.

Excuses aside, this recording should provide a reasonable flavour of where I am going with this. It is not exact to the IMSLP score. Rather, I incorporated some components of professional recordings that I liked the most to come up with my own version. Hopefully Frederic would not be overly annoyed, but I guess I will never know for sure.

Thank you for listening

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:12+ years
Title of piece:Sonatina in B Flat Major HWV 585
Composer:George Frideric Handel
Duration:00:54
Source of music:Great Piano Works: The Mini Series George Frideric Handel
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1 Grand Piano
Recording method:Zoom H2 and audacity
Additional info:While I wait for completion of some Bach pieces I found this Handel Sonatina that fulfills the same yearning I have for Bach.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Yamaha G3&P-80 Mike White
Experience:Around seven years of self-teaching since the recitals began.
Title of piece:Cancion Del Litoral No. 1
Composer:Remo Pignoni
Duration:03:45
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Yamaha P-80
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:This composer if from Argentina. I couldn't find out much about him.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Mr Super-Hunky
Experience:8+
Title of piece:An Enchanted Journey
Composer:Mr Super-Hunky
Duration:04:45
Source of music:Original composition
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB
Recording method:Zoom H2
Additional info:This piece is a compilation of some of the melodies I have floating in my head. A 'musical' enchanted journey that takes you places you usually only dream about.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:xorbe (Jason M)
Experience:8 months
Title of piece:Miyazawa Yukino IV (piano) from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou
Composer:Shiro Sagisu
Duration:03:10
Source of music:Sheet music; played from memory
Instrument used:RD-700NX
Recording method:on-board usb
Additional info:Had one piece of buttered toast and a vegetable smoothie after running 5.5 miles in 35:39 this morning, then recorded this after 4 attempts. It's a short piece from an anime series ("His and Her Circumstances").

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:MaryBee
Experience:40 years on my own, past 4 years with a teacher.
Title of piece:Sonata in C minor, K.457, Mvt.2&3
Composer:Mozart
Duration:15:50
Source of music:Mozart - His Greatest Piano Solos (quite worn at this point)
Instrument used:Charles Walter 1520 upright
Recording method:Tascam DR-08. Converted to MP3 using Audacity.
Additional info:I played the first movement of this sonata back in recital #27, and here I finally finish the piece, playing the second and third movements. The second movement is what made me notice and fall in love with this piece, but all three movements have since become favorites of mine.

The second movement, in the key of E flat major, is a sweet rondo, with a calming recurring theme, some delicate ornaments sprinkled in, a few wicked scale runs to liven things up, and an ending that only Mozart could get away with -- an entire page of alternating V7 and I chords. It makes for a wonderful contrast to the surrounding movements.

The third movement turns back to the darker key of C minor and a quicker tempo, and is just full of dramatic moments (especially that coda). If you get a chance, listen to a professional recording of this -- it might very well take your breath away.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Norrec (Tim)
Experience:1 year on own, 1 year on break, ~1 year with a techer
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqcPSbkS9TQ
Title of piece:Dire Dire Docks (Mario 64)
Composer:Koji Kondo
Duration:03:36
Source of music:I played from sheet music (3 pages), however I can't remember where I found this particular version. It says arranged by 'heliumkidd' but I know I've seen this exact version elsewhere with a different "arranger" at the top. The world may never know who the real arranger was, but if you google 'Dire Dire Docks, Mario 64, sheet music' you should be able to find many versions.
Instrument used:I used a digital piano, the Roland RP-301. This recording uses the default piano sound with the reverb set to max. This was my futile attempt to make it sound as good for my recording as it sounds on my teachers acoustic.
Recording method:I used a USB interface to record directly into Audacity on my PC. Since I don't use an amp the volume is always rather low, so I bumped it up to +6dB in Audacity.
Additional info:I've been working on this piece "officially" for maybe 6 months now. I say officially because before that I was just messing around with it on my own, but then I decided to bring it to my teachers attention and it was added to the "lesson plan" or practice routine. Today, May 10th, at 6:21am, I recorded what I would say is the "99%" version. There are two rough patches, one of them is slightly slowed because I was *this* close to slipping and hitting the wrong note. The second I don't know what happened, but you'll hear it then I immediately fix it. Almost sounds like a recording glitch. I'm still happy with it though.

This is one of the songs that motivated me to learn piano. I can remember playing "Mario 64" on the Nintendo 64 as a kid. My family didn't own a N64, this was back when you could rent an entire console from Blockbuster Video for a week. Since then I have listened to various versions and this tune has always stuck with me. Once I was able I downloaded the sheet music, it looked like something I could do, and I made it happen. I included a link to a youtube video of the original music from the game.

I had the most trouble with the second half of the piece. It sounds very similar to the first half, but what used to be a single note is now a chord or interval. For some reason this made it a lot harder.

I also remember the advice I received in the last PianoWorld recital I participated in that said my piece didn't have a good ending. The sheet music arrangement for this piece also suffered this problem. It basically had no ending, it just suddenly got slow and stopped in the span of 1.5 measures. Probably part of it's video game roots and needing to be able to repeat over and over. So I created my own ending. It's not anything fancy but it's certainly better than what was written.

This was a big milestone for me and I'm looking forward to playing this piece at my teachers recital in June.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:BenPiano
Experience:4 years
Title of piece:Reverie
Composer:Einaudi
Duration:04:02

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jazztpt (Russ)
Experience:37+
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNOuLjYHLEw&feature=youtube_gdata
Title of piece:Starting Out
Composer:Jazztpt
Duration:03:37
Source of music:Original composition
Instrument used:Roland HP507 Digital
Recording method:Web cam , audio recorded using Audacity
Additional info:I wrote "Starting Out" just after the last recital, it includes some improvisation in the middle section where I use the iReal app to generate the bass and drums backing.

This is a re-submission , I wasn't satisfied with the original recording which I did in a rush, just goes to prove that doesn't work.

My original submission included a second original tune written for my new grandson who arrived on 27th April. I had planned to record my submission on that day but as it turned out I had other distractions :-). When I re-recorded I made a hash of the 2nd tune so decided to leave it out , maybe next time.

There are a few mistakes in this recording (that red dot thing !) but it is still a better version, I was more relaxed and it is far more musical , I think anyway. I hope you enjoy it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission