2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2082480 05/14/13 02:09 PM
OP Offline
Now I've refrained from asking questions on here because it's usually attacked, questioned, undermined, belittled, scoffed at and/or worst of all pitied but looking at some recent posts I have some newfound hope.

Now as a young adult I really have no idea how I got so good at trumpet, I had three teachers and we went through a bunch of books when I was young then performances, recitals, played with orchestras and then made 4th chair all-eastern. Most of my progress was just a blur to me I remember just being forced to practice, practice, practice by a strict father and indeed this is probably why most of us who reach a such high level don't do a good job of describing to others the path to playing at a high level. I've heard many people say that the best way to build technique is through effective repertoire. LETS ASSUME THAT'S TRUE... My teacher started me on the Bach 2-part inventions and I've read how they are incredibly useful in building technique.

If you had a student that had the necessary talent *rolls eyes* to one day play Rach's concerto No. 3, what would be the repertoire you would prescribe to get to that point. Obviously it would take years but lets say you started at Bach's inventions. Would you go through all his inventions? What would be next? What would you say are the most useful pieces in building technique from to beginner to advanced?

Please if I have made an error in describing a particular thing don't reduce this topic to a boxing ring for semantics. Just look at the spirit of the question however naive or mis-worded you think it is!!

Last edited by King Cole; 05/14/13 04:06 PM.

"What is genius? To aspire to a lofty aim and to will the means to that aim" -Nietzsche
M
M
It's a bit hard to prescribe the whole body of work you'd need to work through to achieve perfect technique, isn't it?

If it's really just for "what the heck" purposes, it probably wouldn't hurt to work through the Well Tempered Clavier I and II, Hanon and the early Beethoven sonatas. It probably depends how much time you have on your hands, doesn't it?

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Most of my progress was just a blur to me I remember just being forced to practice, practice, practice by a strict father and indeed this is probably why most of us who reach a such high level don't do a good job of describing to others the path to playing at a high level.

Also if you haven't reached that level of playing, I don't see how you'd be the best person to offer advice for this question but I know that won't stop many people

In short, you are not going to take any advice, since:
* the people that can reach that level don't do a good job describing what it takes,
* you are not going to take advice from the people that can not reach that level

Now I've refrained from asking questions on here because it's usually attacked, questioned, undermined, belittled, scoffed at and/or worst of all pitied but looking at some recent posts I have some newfound hope.

In your question you ask you already undermine everyone that might consider answering.

I think you should lift some restrictions on the answer

Last edited by wouter79; 05/14/13 03:15 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I
I
Yes, both of the good books from Bach (each P&F transposed through the keys) and the complete Liszt technical exercises would be good.

T
T
The basics, for me, from the level of Bach Inventions to where I am now has been something like this:

Bach invention no 6 in dm
Clair de Lune
Chopin 34 no 2
Chopin prelude in e major, c minor, Ebminor, and g major
Mozart sonata k283 in G (1st and 3rd movement)
And right about this point took a year and a half off.

Since I have returned to classical piano, i have done this rep:
Bach inventions 13&14
Haydn sonata no 38 in f major mvt 1
Chopin opus 55 no 1
Beethoven opus 10 no 3 mvt 2, learned 1 later
Chopin opus 25 no 2
Bach WTC I no 6 in dm
Beethoven 27 no. 1 in eb
Chopin 10 no 4 & 25 no 1
Rachmaninoff opus 32 no 10 in Bm
And I am currently doing continued work on the last 6 pieces of the list over summer to learn them in more detail and confidence. I'm also adding Liszt's Petrarch Sonnet 104 to my rep. I plan to do the rest of the sonnets and Liszt's jeux d'eau within the next year, along with more Rachmaninoff, Bach, and chopin etudes.

Also, during all of the above work, constant practice of scales and arpeggios was crucial. Don't forget those.

I imagine, to continue this path, if my goal was Rach 3 I would pick up another, larger scale Beethoven sonata and play more bach WTC. I would also begin more rachmaninoff preludes and etudes, so I can learn the ways rachmaninoff develops his ideas and the piano textures he uses. I would also like to play a concerto or two at lest before going to the Rach, so let's say I play the Grieg and beethoven no 3. I would also want to have something large and virtuosic in my rep, so let's say I learn the Liszt Ballade no 2 and Chopin ballade no 1.

And then....if I mastered all of that....who know of I'd really be ready. There could still be some lacking in my knowledge of theory or in my scales or arpeggios or my rhythmic sense. All those have to be pretty flawless to convincingly play Rach 3.

Don't ask why i gave such a detailed response. I guess I find discussions on "path" somewhat fun. And I'm bored on a summer day...not practicing piano for some reason.

Piano/Composition major.

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU!!!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by King Cole

I find this a most off-putting way of starting a thread; you already, some hope notwithstanding, may have alienated some otherwise willing posters on this thread.

[...]If you had a student that had the necessary talent *rolls eyes* to one day play Rach's concerto No. 3, what would be the repertoire you would prescribe to get to that point. [...]

How would a teacher know, unless a student is already well-advanced both technically and musically, whether that student is "one day [capable of] play[ing] Rach's concerto No. 3"?

The answer to your question lies in determining reasonable mile-posts along the student's way. Since
[I] haven't reached that level of playing, I don't see how [I]d be the best person to offer advice for this question but I know that won't stop many people
I guess that has to stop me.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Bruce: see PM. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
OP Offline
I can't win but thanks TrueMusic

"What is genius? To aspire to a lofty aim and to will the means to that aim" -Nietzsche
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To quote the professor from Shine:

"Your hands must form the unbreakable habit... of playing the notes so that you can forget all about them."

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
H
H
Every piece has it's own technical challenges/intervals/hand shapes to contribute, learn whatever you want smile

Now as a young adult I really have no idea how I got so good at trumpet, I had three teachers and we went through a bunch of books when I was young then performances, recitals, played with orchestras and then made 4th chair all-eastern. Most of my progress was just a blur to me I remember just being forced to practice, practice, practice by a strict father and indeed this is probably why most of us who reach a such high level don't do a good job of describing to others the path to playing at a high level. I've heard many people say that the best way to build technique is through effective repertoire. LETS ASSUME THAT'S TRUE... My teacher started me on the Bach 2-part inventions and I've read how they are incredibly useful in building technique.

If you had a student that had the necessary talent *rolls eyes* to one day play Rach's concerto No. 3, what would be the repertoire you would prescribe to get to that point. Obviously it would take years but lets say you started at Bach's inventions. Would you go through all his inventions? What would be next? What would you say are the most useful pieces in building technique from to beginner to advanced?

Please if I have made an error in describing a particular thing don't reduce this topic to a boxing ring for semantics. Just look at the spirit of the question however naive or mis-worded you think it is!!

Six Inventions
Four Sinfonias
Six Moszkowski etudes
Eight preludes & fugues from WTC
Three Mozart Sonatas
One early and two middle Beethoven sonatas
Two Chopin Nocturnes and one scherzo
Six Chopin Etudes
Six Rachmaninov Etudes

The list isn't perfect but if you complete it properly you should be able to successfully prepare the concerto.
The main dificulty will be to play the Mozart Sonata and the Nocturnes with necessary expression. If you play them beautifully, and if the Bach fugues are studied and played with proper care in relation to the value of each individual voices, and also presuming you have the rest of the list completely mastered, you are capable of beginning such a great adventure as the Rach 3...

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Quaver Pyjama

Six Inventions
Four Sinfonias
Six Moszkowski etudes
Eight preludes & fugues from WTC
Three Mozart Sonatas
One early and two middle Beethoven sonatas
Two Chopin Nocturnes and one scherzo
Six Chopin Etudes
Six Rachmaninov Etudes

The list isn't perfect but if you complete it properly you should be able to successfully prepare the concerto.
The main dificulty will be to play the Mozart Sonata and the Nocturnes with necessary expression. If you play them beautifully, and if the Bach fugues are studied and played with proper care in relation to the value of each individual voices, and also presuming you have the rest of the list completely mastered, you are capable of beginning such a great adventure as the Rach 3...

Wow thank you for a real and decent way to answer my question. It definitely helps me set goals in my head. Very interesting selections.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
LOL

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Some, nay, most pianists don't even reach that R.3-level, how hard they work, that dear King Cole is a matter of devotion/talent/disposition and a lot more. There is no recipe, and: the way to heck is paved with good intentions (and pianists).

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Pieces teach technique?

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission