2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Seems to work fine, but...

Wouldn't you rather have Roland put time effort and money in an enhanced SN engine with 256 polyphony , instead of gimmicks like this ?

I'm probably too cynical...

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
To what extent is the Air Recorder dealing with audio (wav &/or mp3) and to what extent is it dealing with midi? I couldn't quite work out what sort of files it was playing back, and how they were being modified by the demonstrator.

It looked very easy, but how on earth could you record a piece like that without taking into account and setting the time signature, metronome, the patch to track allocation, channels (if midi), levels, effects processing, eq and compression? And all the rest of the usual paraphernalia of the studio.....and that's if everything goes according to plan as per the publicity brochures, which it has never been known to have done - at least in my experience.

Looks too good to be real...I would be just getting round to the closing-down-the-troublesome-drivers in the o/s at that stage smile

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
M
M
This didn't look like midi recording. It looked more like stream recording (mp3,wma or whatever apple is using). The playback of an itunes song was definately not midi.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Mmm, Ok, so the question of how on earth you'd modify that music straight from a DP remains. Does the iphone intelligently separate all the tracks out, notate the music and match them up to the nearest patch in the FP-80 library?

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

M
M
I think you're looking for too much magic. Think streaming mp3 via Wifi Ad-Hoc network.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes, streaming mp3 wirelessly is one thing - not particularly remarkable. It's just that he said he was able to modify (ie overdub or re-record) using the FP80. That's the part I do not understand - especially if, as you suggest, this is not using midi!!

M
M
I might be missing something but i see only that he is changing the key and the tempo.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
.....unless it just records you sticking your own contribution on top, and mixes it with the backing track as in karaoke. In which case, he should have said: 'Look, it's got a karaoke function'. But that would have looked kind of Casio wouldn't it?

M
M
According to the description on roland.com it simply records and plays audio streams with the additional possibility to change the pitch and the speed which can be easily performed on audio data.

Last edited by MagicK; 05/13/13 11:03 AM. Reason: pith
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Well then, I can't quite see the point of hooking that up to a keyboard. Why not just do the pitch & speed change inside the phone and plug it into computer monitor speakers?

...which is to ask: What does this do that you can't already do in any computer with a free version of Audacity in it?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by toddy
Well then, I can't quite see the point of hooking that up to a keyboard. Why not just do the pitch & speed change inside the phone and plug it into computer monitor speakers?

...which is to ask: What does this do that you can't already do in any computer with a free version of Audacity in it?

A wise man once said "Wouldn't you rather have Roland put time effort and money in an enhanced SN engine with 256 polyphony , instead of gimmicks like this ? " -JFP

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
You are so right!

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by toddy
What does this do that you can't already do in any computer with a free version of Audacity in it?

Run on an iphone/iPad. Record wirelessly from your keyboard. Playback wirelessly into your keyboard (if your keyboard has internal speakers).

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JFP
Wouldn't you rather have Roland put time effort and money in an enhanced SN engine with 256 polyphony , instead of gimmicks like this ?

I don't know how many people will find this "gimmick" useful or not.

But the manufacturing cost of the app is zero, which is probably not true of whatever would have to be done to increase to 256 polyphony (i.e. you're comparing a free add-on to something that would raise the price of the piano). And honestly, I don't know how many people would really find 256-note polyphony useful enough to pay more for it, all else being equal.

I think Roland is just looking for some "gee whiz" stuff that salespeople can use on the showroom floor. Used effectively, an app like this might sell more DPs (possibly more than more polyphony would). I think that's really the point of the app, to help sell more units, which is, after all, their goal. It might work.

C
Cmin Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yeah... and they should make a deal with Apple. Buy one FP-80, get one iPhone for free.

I'm not going to buy a iOS gadget just to get a 'digital' connection to my DAW. They should at least offer this gimmick for Android as well.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I think Roland is just looking for some "gee whiz" stuff that salespeople can use on the showroom floor. Used effectively, an app like this might sell more DPs (possibly more than more polyphony would). I think that's really the point of the app, to help sell more units, which is, after all, their goal. It might work.

So, it's a gimmick - to lure people into buying. Like having your car talk to you and do weather forecasts in 3D , but provide it with a crappy old engine.

By the way - I don't think developing iApps is cheap by default. There are several divisions involved at a company the size of Roland and programmers are well-payed people , probably making a lot of hours getting bug-free , working iApps out. So they could have spend that money on re-engineering the SN engine. Doesn't have to be revolutionary ; just add some more processing power and a few tweaks here and there. AND include the Studio Grand on the DP series - they have it in stock anyway + R&D costs on that sample set have for long been earned back. No reason, other than guys-in-suits who don't play reasoning , to leave that out.

Also - no Lesley on/off on foot pedal : why - is that really too much to ask ? Question of really thinking things through just a bit more. And this strange routing of effects, as I understood, where effects apply to both mic input AND the sounds you're playing and settings/routing can't be separated. Talking about settings; the rudimentary way changes are stored (see comments in this thread). And the list goes on.

The FP-80 is good because it has a good keybed, is well build and has good basic SN sounds. In programming, routing and additional gimmicking that could have been more wisely spend, the FP is ...well not as good as it could be , to put it nicely (ahum). And that is regrettable.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston

Same dude now with FP-50 demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYpuG0OXTX8

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by JFP

The FP-80 is good because it has a good keybed, is well build and has good basic SN sounds. In programming, routing and additional gimmicking that could have been more wisely spend, the FP is ...well not as good as it could be , to put it nicely (ahum). And that is regrettable.

That´s pretty much exactly the same as what I am used to say about my Roland console piano HP-505. The keybed, SN sound and speaker system together really make an amazing instrument! But don´t expect much more.

Not even the metronome is pragmatic to use when switching between normal piano playing and recording modes or staying in recording mode without saving each take.
Or to give a different bad example: for sure it´s nice to play a cathedral organ sound with much reverb and flat EQ and keybed dynamis switched off, while the SN piano sound lives best from subtle reverb and with headphones from flat EQ but with the speaker system from more reverb and EQed to the maximum rised high frequency (max "ambience" value) for circumventing the otherwise present muffled sound of the HPs, and of course the keybed dynamics on (i.e. on level "H1"). Everything set up correctly for the different situations, the HP does not have any muffled sound but sounds magnificent!
Can anybody give me a good reason why on the console style HP it is not possible to save a variation of these settings for having them easily on hand when switching a sound? Changing from piano to organ sound is just not possible without stopping your living room concert for a parameter reprogramming break! How much would it cost to provide me 6 programable memory presets for this, 3x for headphone settings and 3x for speaker system settings? The portable and stagepiano FPs 50 / 80 or the RDs 300 / 700 NX have such preset options, as I understand you. How is it possible that somebody decides that a console HP musician would have no need for this??? I guess it even cost(!) them effort to take this functionionality out of the HP, like it will cost them effort to deactivate certain functionality in the smaller HD models in comparison to the bigger HP models, but the marketing department seems to still see an advantage in such musician un-friendly moves. frown

H
H
Originally Posted by Marco M
The portable and stagepiano FPs 50 / 80 or the RDs 300 / 700 NX have such preset options, as I understand you.

In fact, some settings are "global" and for some reason (like unfortunate result of a coin flip) cannot be saved to registrations (=presets). This includes (but is not limiterd to) EQ or all Piano Designer settings.

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Cmin
They should at least offer this gimmick for Android as well.

They might. If they were going to do one first and see how it goes, iOS probably makes more sense. Also, iOS is inherently able to do some music related things that Android does not (whether at all, or as easily, or universally) because Apple includes the low level infrastructure for it as part of the OS. Though whether this Roland app falls into this category, I don't know.

Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission