2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Can't come up with a good accompaniment. This is piano music, for two hands.

Here is the melody (the left hand stuff is basically place holder and what I want in terms of rhythm and basic anchor tonality):

http://www.2shared.com/document/sNqgmUHI/Melody.html

Click on the small blue "download" button to download the pdf.

What I'm looking for is, if any of you have spare time and think the melody is interesting, I'd be very glad if some one of you could invent a beautiful, mysterious left hand chord (or so) accompaniment, notate it, and post the sheet music here.

I'm also curious what you think about the melody (the passage is obviously somewhat mediocre sounding on occasion because of the monotonous place holder accompaniment, but other than that...).

Welcome and I hope you find my post helpful.

There are several basic ways of creating accompaniments as found below;

Alberti bass
Arpeggio or broken chords
Waltz pattern
Blocked chords

While root position is desired at the cadences, you can use variety of inversions such as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd inversion if 7th is included, throughout the music. Secondary dominant and compound intervals can also create interesting sound.

Wish you the best with your composition.

Charles Peck (American)--Metropolitan
Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
Hi Medium Heights.

I wondered if you were doing OK with this song.

Typically when I post something, a return post gets put up. Either I get a "thank you for your response" or "I disagree", which I have neither in this case. I was just wondering since it has been three days I posted something to help you, at least that was my intention.

Best.

Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
M
OP Offline
M
It had a great accompaniment when I improvised it years ago, but I've never been able to reproduce it or anything good for that matter. Not sure what to do except wait for someone else to do the job for me. This could happen if they like the melody enough.

Originally Posted by Medium Heights
It had a great accompaniment when I improvised it years ago, but I've never been able to reproduce it or anything good for that matter. Not sure what to do except wait for someone else to do the job for me. This could happen if they like the melody enough.

I understand. You are just waiting, hoping, and looking for someone else to do the job for you.

Thanks for your response as I waited for it for about three days.

Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
M
OP Offline
M
It's a short passage so even if it's not generally perceived as a good melody, my hope isn't entirely unrealistic, although humans are as a rule selfish and unable to derive pleasure from truly altruistic acts. I've already been in contact with one hobbyist classical music composer who seems like the exception to the rule, because he seems willing to invent something for it. But it's taking a long time and I wonder whether he's given up. It would also be interesting to get more than one solution, even though I'm aiming for one, not wanting to set my expectations too high.

Good to know a classical composer is willing to do your work for you.

At this point, the best option is to contact this classical composer and ask him why he is taking this long to respond to you.

Best

Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
M
OP Offline
M
It's not that he hasn't responded. It's just that I'm not one of those people who start to harass someone if they don't perform in line with my expectations. So I simply don't know what the situation is, and like a normal adult, I'm giving him time. I haven't paid him for his "work", so I'm in no position to bother him about what or when or why.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Not sure when was your last correspondence with the composer, but if a couple of weeks have passed with no news, I think that it's fair that you should know if you should keep looking for someone else or not... An email can't be all that bothersome I think... smile

M
OP Offline
M
If I were him, I wouldn't want to be contacted about that sort of thing unless the person doing so had reason to think I had simply forgotten the whole thing. In general, we all have our reasons for our behaviour, and I'm sure he has his, and it's not been weeks anyway.

I understand the reason behind you being on this forum now.

You simply didn't want to bother a composer you associate with to do your work for you. You also wouldn't want to be bothered with something like that yourself.

Best.

Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
M
OP Offline
M
You seem interested in facts. So here are some. I don't normally associate with him beyond posting on the same forum as he does, one dedicated to computer games. I've never talked with him in real life, and our paths rarely cross, so to speak, even at those forums. So I'm certainly in no position to demand anything from him, and quite in the same way you are being childish when you demand a response from me, when you clearly haven't bothered to read my original message properly or at least to take it seriously.

I am sorry to hear about that.

Best.

Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Schubertslieder

Best.

As proven by the other thread, you are nothing more than a sarcastic troll. I'm sorry I treated you as an adult, you are but a child. This thread is not for you, so stop coming here with your troll comments. You have never once posted anything here that was solicited or on-topic.

Best.

As proven by the other thread, you are nothing more than a sarcastic troll. I'm sorry I treated you as an adult, you are but a child. This thread is not for you, so stop coming here with your troll comments. You have never once posted anything here that was solicited or on-topic.

As proven by this thread, beginning to end, it is clear that my intention was to help you.

For you to call me a troll, and childish is uncalled for. I have not called you any names so I expect the same from you. If you are waiting, hoping and looking for someone to help you, you can begin by stop calling names.

If anything, name calling is childish.

Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
M
OP Offline
M

Best.

As proven by this thread, beginning to end, it is clear that my intention was to help you.

For you to call me a troll, and childish is uncalled for. I have not called you any names so I expect the same from you. If you are waiting, hoping and looking for someone to help you, you can begin by stop calling names.

You must be kidding me. You gave thumbs up to a message that called me a troll and advised people to stop paying attention to me. Why aren't you taking that advice, then? Rhetorical question. Let's not talk.

Best.

You must be kidding me. You gave thumbs up to a message that called me a troll and advised people to stop paying attention to me. Why aren't you taking that advice, then? Rhetorical question. Let's not talk.

Just because someone else called you a troll, doesn't give you the right to call me a troll and childish.
As long as I am not calling you any names, I expect the same from you.

As clearly stated in this thread, my intention was to help you so I do not deserve to be called a troll or childish.

Debussy--various pieces
Grieg--various pieces
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I looked at, and played through your melody, with the intent of providing a left hand.

Sorry, but it did not grab me.

I hope that your collaborator comes up with the goods.

Rob
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by R0B
I looked at, and played through your melody, with the intent of providing a left hand.

Sorry, but it did not grab me.

I hope that your collaborator comes up with the goods.

I suspect its effect is rather dependent on the left hand. I can't imagine playing the bare melody without providing a tonality at least.

I should also mention that the tempo is supposed to be around 85 (common time), and I personally use the sustaining pedal a lot while playing it.

With these tips in mind, do you still find the melody not at least slightly interesting?

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission