2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2079608 05/09/13 02:04 AM
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Are you when attacking new music? It`s a war of attrition with me. Everything is brought to bear in the fray. A blitz from the word "go!" from which there`s no let up.

I don`t sleep well at the best o` times. But when a recital`s coming up (yes, it`s months away) I try to put things to bed ASAP. Unfortunately that doesn`t seem to apply to me.

Haven`t slept much last night. Not tired now; the fight`ll go on again today.

But I can`t say I don`t enjoy it . . . Much progress was made yesterday.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I'm extremely patient at the start. Trouble is, my patience wears out too fast. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
As a now ex endurance runner I tend to treat the whole piano thing like a sport. I also find myself dreaming of practicing piano, waking up in the early hours and just taking on from where I left the night before. It's nothing new I used to be like that with my work and then my sport and now my piano. I can only hope I start to mellow a bit or I'll end up winning some battles but losing the war.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I'm very impatient. V.e.r.y.
But I'm catching on to the fact that working more slowly and methodically actually ends up being a faster way to get a piece under my fingertips.

I've also found that though I'd rather be playing piano than doing almost anything else...I've moderated my playing a bit, substituting a bit more quality time for plain quantity time. smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oh, I am very impatient. It always takes longer to learn a new piece than I think is should, and getting from the "learned" phased to the "performance" stage, takes even longer. The biggest lesson playing piano has taught me is to be patient and methodical. If I let my impatience rule, I create all kinds of errors that make the piece take even longer to perfect.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'm not the least bit impatient. I get suspicious when my progress is too fast. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. That doesn't mean I don't get obsessive. I'm perfectly capable of pouring extraordinary effort into the piece that's posessing me at the time but I still expect to be in it for the long haul. I learn better that way. I think there are some neurological connections that must be formed and harden before a piece is set into your hands and mind. That can't be rushed.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SwissMS
Oh, I am very impatient. It always takes longer to learn a new piece than I think is should, and getting from the "learned" phased to the "performance" stage, takes even longer. The biggest lesson playing piano has taught me is to be patient and methodical. If I let my impatience rule, I create all kinds of errors that make the piece take even longer to perfect.

Me too. I have to remind myself to be patient and enjoy this stage too. Glad I'm not alone smile

~ Heather smile

Knabe WMV247
“When you play, never mind who listens to you.” ― Robert Schumann
“The piano ain't got no wrong notes.” ― Thelonious Monk
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
"I think there are some neurological connections that must be formed and harden before a piece is set into your hands and mind. That can't be rushed. "

Good way o` putting it. Like hammering smokin cursing nails into concrete . . .

Last edited by peterws; 05/09/13 08:32 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
peterws, I have read your post, here:

Are you when attacking new music? It`s a war of attrition with me. Everything is brought to bear in the fray. A blitz from the word "go!" from which there`s no let up.

I don`t sleep well at the best o` times. But when a recital`s coming up (yes, it`s months away) I try to put things to bed ASAP. Unfortunately that doesn`t seem to apply to me.

Haven`t slept much last night. Not tired now; the fight`ll go on again today.

But I can`t say I don`t enjoy it . . . Much progress was made yesterday.

Like the enemy at war, it is an unknown until you are in the fight. Even when you read the piece measure by measure, it is not the same like playing the piece for the first time or at any time.

War is deadly; that is the excitement - of how long you will last or how long it will take you to win.

The other thing that is nice is that you don't need anybody to assist you in your war or anyone to be the opponent because it is all there for you when you sit down on the bench and rest your fingers on the keys.

Last edited by Michael_99; 05/09/13 11:24 AM.
People often say I am patient when they see how I approach things, but really I am not. Think swan, lol.
I am calm and determined and methodical. I like plans, routines but I attack things intensively. I don't do things half heartedly, I go overboard with perfectionist details and I plan like crazy. I need goals and when I decide to do something , I want to start yesterday, with all the tools I decide I need right there and then. I am rarely in a hurry to finish something, but I am always early whenever I need to meet a deadline. I cannot abide lateness.
I can happily practice one measure over and over again, but I am not patient , just persistent. Stubborn.

It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future. Simple as that.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

Same here. I know how I want it at the start but getting it drilled in is such a drag... very very slow... many errors that are an insult to my ears... And indeed the drilling is only the first step. And so hard to make music at very very slow speed. How to make a crescendo while the notes are only fading away all the time???

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
I find it rather hilarious (and sad!) that I've taken lessons for three years and am FINALLY able to slow it down when learning a new piece. My poor teacher - she's been telling me this the entire time!I think part of the trouble is that I learned to sight read before taking lessons, and my fingers will automatically go to the right keys, but they are usually the wrong fingers and just throw everything off. That habit is finally breaking, but it sure did take a long time!
It always takes longer to learn a new piece than I think is should, and getting from the "learned" phased to the "performance" stage, takes even longer.

This is something I'm still trying to conquer. I "know" it; therefore I think it'll be a snap to speed it up, or fix a problem part I've ignored, or a transition I've ignored.. ha! These recitals on PW are certainly helping me fix that.. I want to do better when more people hear it, so it's forcing me to re-evaluate how I go about things.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I'm improving, but yeah, chalk me down as one who tries to go too fast too quickly. Like many intermediates, I'm sure, the trouble is often that there may be many measures where you can get the notes right pretty quickly after a few read throughs so you blaze the trail and then, OOPS!, smack comes a tricky measure.

The Clementi Sonata I'm learning is a good example of that. Alberti bass with nice easy 8th note melody, zoom, zoom - aargh, sudden leap. Too fast!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Richard's posts are full of insight on this, but I'll post just this favorite little snippet I keep saved.

Originally Posted by zrtf90
I gradually come up to recital speed - not by deliberately speeding up but by gradually relinquishing restraint.

If you're really impatient, then do things right and practice slowly and in very small sections, and you'll actually progress faster (sounds ironic, huh?). If I feel really impatient, I'll noodle around or play old material or something else unproductive; I won't go near new material lest I just ingrain poor mistakes that will take more time to undo later than it took to ingrain them in the first place.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Luckily, my teacher is more patient than I am.

1989 Baldwin R
K
K
This is something I'm still trying to conquer. I "know" it; therefore I think it'll be a snap to speed it up, or fix a problem part I've ignored, or a transition I've ignored.. ha! These recitals on PW are certainly helping me fix that.. I want to do better when more people hear it, so it's forcing me to re-evaluate how I go about things

Aimee, get out of my head. wink I have been taking since 2005 and FINALLY am realizing I was doing just that. 'I'll fix it in my lesson' ugh. I am also finally practicing in the correct way.
And also, realizing that getting it correct once through is not the same as being polished at it.

Alfred Adult Level One graduated 2010
I've been taking lessons since 2005
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
"I think there are some neurological connections that must be formed and harden before a piece is set into your hands and mind. That can't be rushed. "

Good way o` putting it. Like hammering smokin cursing nails into concrete . . .

thumb

Quite literally. Although I'm constantly trying to be patient, and even frequently advise others to be patient, the sad reality is that with almost every new piece there comes a time when my teacher must say to me..."ok, now I want you to go back and just play it very slow and very loud without dynamics and without pedal at least twice a day for a week."

This, of course, is to combat/fix the little errors I've allowed to creep in by speeding things up too soon. When I finally get through a piece start to finish without this remedial pounding stage I will know I have finally learned patience.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
JimF #2080611 05/11/13 05:01 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by JimF
the sad reality is that with almost every new piece there comes a time when my teacher must say to me..."ok, now I want you to go back and just play it very slow and very loud without dynamics and without pedal at least twice a day for a week."

Loud, without dynamics?? But that seems not the right way to me to practice, after all you then will have to unlearn the all-loud version

Originally Posted by wouter79
Originally Posted by JimF
the sad reality is that with almost every new piece there comes a time when my teacher must say to me..."ok, now I want you to go back and just play it very slow and very loud without dynamics and without pedal at least twice a day for a week."

Loud, without dynamics?? But that seems not the right way to me to practice, after all you then will have to unlearn the all-loud version

It depends on a lot of things. Where is the student at, and how is the teacher working with him? What is the teacher seeing? What's the overall approach.

There seem to be two philosophies. One says that you creative every musical aspect from the very beginning so that it will "be there" (and otherwise it won't be). You seem to be thinking along those lines, wouter79. (?)

I'm being taught to shape the music in layers. Even if I weren't, I'd lean in that direction because of my experiences. To work in layers, you work on simple basic aspects first --- right notes with handy fingering and basic good movement. This is done in chunks (which is already a known concept). You add other elements like dynamics, nuanced timing etc. later. The reasoning for this is that we can only concentrate on one new thing at a time. Especially if you're still getting your skills, if you try to do everything, all of it will be vague and muddy. But if you have the right notes in your hands, then you can let go to concentrating on the dynamics, get them into your hand and ear, etc. I definitely need to do this, and it works for me.

"Loud" makes sense to me, because "soft" is harder to do and can involve restraining yourself (if you're me). I have a bit of a parallel, because I used to play using mostly my fingers. To unlock, I use large exaggerated motions - like little kids drawing with jumbo crayons and using their whole arm - and then when all the joints know how they can move, let it settle down. Smaller movements also make quieter sounds.

I'm guessing that JimF's teacher has a reason and plan, based on what he (she?) is seeing.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Yes the teacher probably is right. Sometimes making mistakes is part of the path

There seem to be two philosophies. One says that you creative every musical aspect from the very beginning so that it will "be there" (and otherwise it won't be). You seem to be thinking along those lines, wouter79. (?)

no, I'm just saying that if you ignore elements such as dynamics or timing, you end up learning them incorrectly and that you have to unlearn it later to get it right. And that unlearning is harder than learning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission