2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
First of all, I'm not posting this in the piano forum because it's unknown territory for me, and then it's still just a thought, nothing concrete...

Once in a while I find myself thinking about acoustic pianos. I usually put the thought away because I like to play with the headphones on (I have a hard time concentrating and that helps) and then there's the tuning, etc. Still, I keep looking at classifieds, eBay, and the like. Last week I saw a very old German upright at a flea market, priced €600; apart from a broken key, it looked alright. And there was somebody nearby selling a Challen piano for €200!

On one hand, I'm tempted by these "bargains" - and old European pianos have a special charm in my eyes - but I'm aware that I'd probably end up spending much more to have it fixed. So I look at more recent second-hand Yamaha's and Kawai's, and I see that I could get a reconditioned U1 Silent for little more than €3,000. Or a non-silent model for less, all with a 5 to 10-year guarantee.

The acoustic would have to be placed in my house in the country. It's a terraced stone house and it's quite humid in winter - no heating system yet (I am slowly renovating it). There's plenty of room upstairs and a high wooden ceiling, so that even a concert grand wouldn't look out of place there, BUT there's just a narrow staircase to go up. I doubt even a small upright would pass through. And here my dreaming stops.

Still... I know I'll get one one day. Anybody would like to add some clarity - or more confusion - to my thoughts? wink

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
If the upstairs has a decent size window they can use a crane to get it in the upstairs.

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
The house was built in the 17th century and has small windows. There could be a way, actually, since part of the floor is currently missing in one of the rooms... but then this room has no doors to the rest of the house! I should have bought a piano before rebuilding the roof laugh

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
How narrow are the stairs?....How high is the ceiling as you go up the stairs?

If you take the legs off the grand( which is often done for moving), then you could turn it on its side to go up the stairs. It is probably only about half a metre deep.

I have a Yamaha Silent and love it.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I was just going to ask you about your piano! I would certainly get an upright, I could never justify the expense for a grand, although the esthetics would be great.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia
Originally Posted by casinitaly

I was just going to ask you about your piano! I would certainly get an upright, I could never justify the expense for a grand, although the esthetics would be great.

Mine is smaller than the "U" series - It is a P112N - which actually isn't made anymore! It would be similar to a B1 Continental Style (no legs in front). A B1 is 109Cm high, mine is 112 high.
I find it has a very full tone, much richer than you'd expect from such a small piano, and certainly more than enough for someone who lives in an apartment!

If you want to hear what the Silent feature sounds like, you can check out my previous submissions to the recitals,(Keep in mind that a better pianist would be able to make it sound even better. )

https://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Category:CASINITALY_%28Cheryl%29

The ones that are from the Silent feature are

Nov 2010- Les Plaintes d'une Poupée
Aug 2012 - Rigaudon & Entrée
Nov 2012 Romanza & Little music box
Feb 2012 Soft Shoes Blues
May 2012 Kabalevsky Waltz

Mine has 2 jacks for output - nice for recording, as I can wear headphones and record to the computer, a reverberation dial and volume dial.

There are no extra "voices" only piano.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It`s amazing old (vintage) pianos go for so little. Other tiny stuff, like brooches or small furniture sell for loads at auction.

I bought an old Broadwood for £300. Too old to be used on top o` the line classics. But very serviceable, and fun. My Lady did Chopin on it, me Beethoven (easy version lol)

You will get back what you paid for it if you buy on ebay - as long as the delivery distance isn`t great! Try one out first. They are serious fun and steeped in history . . you`ll get a decent name on the lid as well!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
You do know that when you start thinking about it you can't stop till you've got the piano, don't you?

That's why I will never start thinking about getting a grand ... wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Anybody would like to add some clarity - or more confusion - to my thoughts? wink

While I'd definitely look at the used/rebuilt market when buying an acoustic piano, realize that many pianos you'll find on classifieds sites aren't worth the money. That goes double for most "free" pianos.

If you are patient, you could definitely stumble across an awesome value, but to do it right, you should hire a piano technician to check any prospective purchase.

These ads almost invariably say something like "Just needs tuning," but the posters are usually not pianists and usually haven't kept the piano well maintained. A technician will be able to see if the piano is capable of holding a tune--the pin block might be shot, for instance--or if it has severe cracks in the soundboard/plate or if it is salvageable at all.

Your €300 bargain might end up needing €3000 of repairs to get to a playable state (above and beyond the €200+ you'll need to have the piano moved) and it suddenly won't be such a bargain. In the face of that, paying a tech €30 to look over your prospective purchase -is- a bargain.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
I reckon if you get a cheap grand, you`d fix it yourself. Can`t imagine a named piano would be so difficult to patch up to a decent playing standard . . .Look at the adhesives we have now - you can repair ANYTHING!

And who knows? An old piano; an old violin . . .it`s in the sound. Even an old Stratocaster goes for a fortune . . .

Last edited by peterws; 05/10/13 01:46 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Reconditioning a $500 piano is almost never worth anyone's time or money. Upright pianos, especially, are never worth the effort when they reached their time. They are machines with maximum useable life of 40 to 50 years, and meant to be replaced.

Unlike a grand piano, an old upright does not have any part worth saving that contribute to the performance as an instrument. To restore and replace all the old parts by hand cost far more than buying a new upright, and not much could be helped by any amount of reconditioning for something so old that is only worth $500.

There is definitely a price point where a digital is better than acoustic. I think $500 digitals are far and away better than any $500 acoustic, but at $5,000, not so much, and at $10,000, not at all. Unless you have the budget of at least $2000-$3000, the digital has completely taken over that end of the market because they are clearly better at that price range new or used.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I just know that your second story with that big room needs a nice big balcony. Of course, a nice big patio door going out. smile

Then you can get yourself a nice Kawai KG2. It is true that many a nice grands have never been played much.

Don't forget the dehumidifier. smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
First of all, I'm not posting this in the piano forum because it's unknown territory for me, and then it's still just a thought, nothing concrete...

Since it is just thinking aloud, why not consider a bigger house, preferably with ocean or mountain views to see from your new grand piano

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rnaple
I just know that your second story with that big room needs a nice big balcony. Of course, a nice big patio door going out...

We added an upstairs deck with a patio door in order to get the bathtub I wanted.

In fact, one of the main reasons for getting the house in the first place was to have a better place to play the piano!

Learner
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Getting the piano into the house is a onetime thing--humidity is forever. smile And humidifiers/dehumidifiers are a pain.

We have dry winters and humid summers and a house with an open floor plan, which would mean whole house humidifiers/dehumidifiers. But I'd still love to have an acoustic.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar

Since it is just thinking aloud, why not consider a bigger house, preferably with ocean or mountain views to see from your new grand piano

Well then I'd love a farm in Scotland... talking about humidity!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

The acoustic would have to be placed in my house in the country. It's a terraced stone house and it's quite humid in winter - no heating system yet (I am slowly renovating it). There's plenty of room upstairs and a high wooden ceiling, so that even a concert grand wouldn't look out of place there, BUT there's just a narrow staircase to go up. I doubt even a small upright would pass through. And here my dreaming stops.

Still... I know I'll get one one day. Anybody would like to add some clarity - or more confusion - to my thoughts? wink

I would fix the house first before getting a piano, at least the place where the piano goes. Heating, humidifier etc.

I suppose you can make a hatch in the wooden floor?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79

I would fix the house first before getting a piano, at least the place where the piano goes. Heating, humidifier etc.

I suppose you can make a hatch in the wooden floor?

The house is actually two adjacent houses that will have to be joined by a door somewhere, one is habitable (I live there 5 months a year), the other not yet, and my plans change by the hour... but the piano is definitely a factor I am keeping in mind. Then once in a while I also think I'd like to move abroad, but then this house was my grandfather's grandfather's house so I will always keep it even if I don't end up living there for good. It's complicated...

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

Well then I'd love a farm in Scotland... talking about humidity!

As a Scot now living in the very agreeable Australian climate I can attest the only reason the human body is "waterproof" is so people could live in Scotland.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
[quote=sinophilia]As a Scot now living in the very agreeable Australian climate I can attest the only reason the human body is "waterproof" is so people could live in Scotland.

Please next time you post a recording include a spoken part, I love the Scottish accent! I got married in Glasgow. And yes it was raining wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission