Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!


SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
136 registered members (ando, 7uturu, alexcawley, anotherscott, Almaviva, Anita Potter, 41 invisible), 1,785 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2080096 - 05/10/13 12:42 AM Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano.  
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 5
FlightBrothers Offline
Junior Member
FlightBrothers  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 5
Ontario
Hi pianoworld!!

I am 17 year old (1 more month till 18 so i guess i'm an adult) and for the past 6 months, i've suddenly found my love for piano and i've decided that i will try to learn by myself. Just very recently bought a Yamaha P105 as an initiative. Now my problem is where to begin my journey. Since i had trumpet lessons for about 1 year so my music knowledge isn't completely empty. When i began learning the trumpet, i learned scales, reading notes, and techniques such as tonguing and fingering. Naturally i would presume learning the piano would also be similar, but this was not the case because i don't have a single clue where to begin. I don't have any piano sheets or books to play. As a completely adult piano newb, where should i start? And what music book should i get for an adult beginner?And are there any common bad habits that might hinder my performance later on? Also would tapping or counting in your head be more beneficial later in the progression than using a metronome?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2080100 - 05/10/13 01:09 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: FlightBrothers]  
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,000
Saranoya Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Saranoya  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,000
Brussels, Belgium
Hi FlightBrothers,

Get a method book. That's what most beginners do when they want to learn on their own. Alfred's Adult All-In-One course is insanely popular around here, and has two entire threads devoted to it. They are full of adult beginners working through with or without a teacher.

I personally think having a teacher is invaluable for a lot of reasons, especially in the early stages. People think 'the basics' are about how to sit and how to position your hands, and that's part of it. But the more important part, in my opinion, is about how to break a piece down into manageable chunks, and learn them quickly and efficiently. A good teacher can help you develop an effective practice routine from the start, which will serve you well throughout your piano playing years (assuming you actually follow their advice, which ... well, is sometimes a bit of a problem for me, and could be a problem for you or not, depending on what kind of person you are). Also, 'the basics' are about paying attention to detail: legato versus staccato, even rhythm, the right dynamics in the right places, and so on. Sometimes, you need a discerning third party to tell you how far off you are on those fronts. And to tell you whether or not you have really jumped a certain hurdle.

All of that said, you will find plenty of people here who are making their way without a teacher, and some of them are pretty fabulous. Plus, a bad teacher can do more harm than an average one can do good. But still ... consider finding a good teacher. That's my advice to you.

Re: use of a metronome. I use it, at this point, mostly to avoid going too fast, too soon -- which helps with control issues I had before. You need to be able to count and clap too, though, because that will help you figure out tricky rhythms, and it will help you keep time when there isn't a metronome ticking in the background.


Plodding through piano music at a frustratingly slow pace since 9/2012.

Standard disclaimer: I teach many things. Piano is not one of them.
#2080104 - 05/10/13 01:26 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: FlightBrothers]  
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,590
Charles Cohen Online content
3000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,590
Richmond, BC, Canada
Quote

All of that said, you will find plenty of people here who are making their way without a teacher, and some of them are pretty fabulous. Plus, a bad teacher can do more harm than an average one can do good. But still ... consider finding a good teacher. That's my advice to you.


+1.

. charles


. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
#2080105 - 05/10/13 01:29 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: FlightBrothers]  
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,545
Whizbang Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Whizbang  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,545
Originally Posted by FlightBrothers
i don't have a single clue where to begin.


I would advise against tonguing the piano.


Whizbang [Linked Image]
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2080112 - 05/10/13 01:48 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: FlightBrothers]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
Australia
Originally Posted by FlightBrothers
Hi pianoworld!!

i don't have a single clue where to begin. I don't have any piano sheets or books to play.


Welcome FlightBrothers

I have been playing almost six months and came to piano by way of another instrument. I too found it quite daunting on my own, just where to begin. Getting a teacher was my best move after buying the piano in the first instance.

A good site for free entry level music is here:

http://gmajormusictheory.org/Freebies/freebies.html

I also found "Piano Marvel" a very good interactive teaching program although I did not continue after the 30 day free trial. I opted for the Adult All In One Course and found it to be a well balanced course building in difficulty over the span of three books.

Good luck you have made the right start, buying a piano and coming here.


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2080113 - 05/10/13 01:49 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: Whizbang]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
Australia
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by FlightBrothers
i don't have a single clue where to begin.


I would advise against tonguing the piano.


Is a kiss goodnight acceptable?


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2080148 - 05/10/13 03:44 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: earlofmar]  
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 396
UK Paul UK Offline
Full Member
UK Paul UK  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 396
Berkshire, England
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Originally Posted by Whizbang
Originally Posted by FlightBrothers
i don't have a single clue where to begin.


I would advise against tonguing the piano.


Is a kiss goodnight acceptable?


Ive kissed my piano most days lol

Just have to make sure my girlfriend gets slightly more affection or tgere is trouble...

She already calls my piano "my other girlfriend".

#2080159 - 05/10/13 04:44 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: Whizbang]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,393
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
Bobpickle  Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014


Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,393
Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted by Whizbang
I would advise against tonguing the piano.


Hey, you play the way you play, and I'll play the way I play.


"[The trick to life isn't] just about living forever. The trick is still living with yourself forever."
#2080455 - 05/10/13 05:57 PM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: FlightBrothers]  
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Mark Polishook Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Mark Polishook  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,036
Leicester, UK
flightbrothers - if you're serious about wanting to play the piano, you have to find a good teacher. sure, you can get a method book and follow it and learn from it - no doubt about that. but the method book isn't going to watch and listen to how you do the things it tells you to do. it won't give you feedback. it won't show you easy ways around problems you might have or begin to develop. for sure, it won't adjust itself and it's teaching method and advice to the strengths and weaknesses you'll develop as you go through it.

a good teacher will know how to guide you to the musical and technical foundation you'll use for a long time. they'll help you to avoid repetitive stress injuries. they'll help you to develop "musical" common sense, meaning, knowledge of common practice and general musical knowledge. they'll help you to evaluate your goals and expectations. and they'll be a connection to a wider musical world that includes others such as yourself who are learning to play and perhaps other professionals and all kinds of other things. in other words, if you study with a teacher, you move into a network of sorts.

the fact that there are plenty of not-so-good teachers shouldn't deter you from seeking a good one. finding a good teacher is trial and error and getting opinions and taking trial lessons, etc. it may be that you start with one teacher and soon move to another. the pianoworld forums do a lot of experienced contributors who can give you great advice about the pros and cons of "this and that."

of course, if you have any kind of aspiration to eventually play or teach as a professional, then absolutely an excellent teacher is the only way to go. but, in the end, it's your choice and it really just comes down to what you want to do with and at the piano and how far you want to go. and most important is just that you enjoy (and continue to enjoy) playing the piano. if it's fun, then you will return to it over and over again and you will make progress.

hope this is helpful!

#2080529 - 05/10/13 09:46 PM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: FlightBrothers]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
pianotimo Offline
Full Member
pianotimo  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
WOW WOW WOW... the similarities we have are scary.

I'm 17 (18 in less than a month) and I just started learning a month ago. I bought a Yamaha P105 to start learning. And yes, I used to play the trumpet for 2-3 years before stopping.

My progress has been great and I've learned really fast. I feel that my common problems so far are sitting incorrectly at the bench (yes, it's possible) and also keeping my fingers lifted.

After doing a lot of research, I discovered that the BEST book by far is the Alfred's Adult AIO course. Additionally, supplement this with Hanon exercises and you will have great success. I have (thus far). Some people learn quick, some people don't. I happen to learn pretty fast (after 2 weeks, I was already halfway through the book). Good luck!

Links to books (get plastic comb version of Virtuoso):
http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Basic...keywords=adult+all+in+one+course+level+1

http://www.amazon.com/Virtuoso-Pian...1&keywords=alfred+hanon+plastic+comb

#2080532 - 05/10/13 09:51 PM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: pianotimo]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
Australia
[quote=pianotimo]WOW WOW WOW... the similarities we have are scary.



After doing a lot of research, I discovered that the BEST book by far is the Alfred's Adult AIO course. Additionally, supplement this with Hanon exercises and you will have great success. I have (thus far). Some people learn quick, some people don't. I happen to learn pretty fast (after 2 weeks, I was already halfway through the book). Good luck![quote]


Glad to hear your doing so well pianotimo

Last edited by earlofmar; 05/10/13 11:43 PM.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2080547 - 05/10/13 11:34 PM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: earlofmar]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
pianotimo Offline
Full Member
pianotimo  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
Thanks smile

#2080549 - 05/10/13 11:44 PM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: earlofmar]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
Australia
Originally Posted by earlofmar
[quote=pianotimo]WOW WOW WOW... the similarities we have are scary.



After doing a lot of research, I discovered that the BEST book by far is the Alfred's Adult AIO course. Additionally, supplement this with Hanon exercises and you will have great success. I have (thus far). Some people learn quick, some people don't. I happen to learn pretty fast (after 2 weeks, I was already halfway through the book). Good luck!



Glad to hear your doing so well pianotimo

Last edited by earlofmar; 05/10/13 11:44 PM.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2080588 - 05/11/13 02:40 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: pianotimo]  
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 5
FlightBrothers Offline
Junior Member
FlightBrothers  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: May 2013
Posts: 5
Ontario
@pianotimo WOW, that is kind of scary...but i'm glad you've progressed half through the book.

BTW how long should you practice each day? Do you practice until you feel stressed? or until you perfect a piece? or whatever else reason there are

#2080612 - 05/11/13 05:12 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: FlightBrothers]  
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 396
UK Paul UK Offline
Full Member
UK Paul UK  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 396
Berkshire, England
Be careful of over use of the hannon.... everyone does it! I would now choose to limit the excercises... and certainly not attempt to go through the first 20 as the author indicates... not only is it very easy to slip into mindless drilling, but tendon strain WILL likely happen.

#2080641 - 05/11/13 07:03 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: UK Paul UK]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
Australia
Originally Posted by UK Paul UK
Be careful of over use of the hannon.... everyone does it! I would now choose to limit the excercises... and certainly not attempt to go through the first 20 as the author indicates... not only is it very easy to slip into mindless drilling, but tendon strain WILL likely happen.


Totally agree about the Hannon, quite dangerous if done too much. Personally I just like the very first exercise and use it as a warm up. Scales and arpeggios are the best with Hannon as a companion.


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2080642 - 05/11/13 07:10 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: FlightBrothers]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,046
Australia
Originally Posted by FlightBrothers
@pianotimo WOW, that is kind of scary...but i'm glad you've progressed half through the book.

BTW how long should you practice each day? Do you practice until you feel stressed? or until you perfect a piece? or whatever else reason there are


FlightBrothers there is no hard and fast rule, but it is often said the complete beginner should not be doing much more than a half to one hour a day. The brain cannot concentrate for much more than 15-30 mins at a time and when your not concentrating it is not "good" practice. You may find several 15-20 sessions a day beneficial and definitely you should find sleeping on a problem will result in a difference the next day.

I often relate to piano to sport in that you have to build stamina and take it easy on those muscles that have been idle for so long.


Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2080873 - 05/11/13 02:22 PM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: FlightBrothers]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,393
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
Bobpickle  Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014


Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,393
Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted by FlightBrothers
@pianotimo WOW, that is kind of scary...but i'm glad you've progressed half through the book.

BTW how long should you practice each day? Do you practice until you feel stressed? or until you perfect a piece? or whatever else reason there are


http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how-many-hours-a-day-should-you-practice/

This is the best read on the topic I think I've come across.

It's best to work a little bit on several different things (pieces, technical exercises, note-reading exercises, etc.) but to keep the scope low and the depth high ( How To Practice Less and Improve More ).


"[The trick to life isn't] just about living forever. The trick is still living with yourself forever."
#2081002 - 05/11/13 06:56 PM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: FlightBrothers]  
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
pianotimo Offline
Full Member
pianotimo  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 51
Good question that I certainly asked the forum when I started. My answer would be: as long as you have to to feel satisfied for the day OR until you feel pain.

I remembered that when I was progressing quickly, I would practice for 2-3 hours straight. When I was learning Blow the Man Down, I found it particularly gruesome. As you may realize, practicing the same thing for 2-3 hours is not beneficial. Therefore, I would only practice for 30 minutes that day. DEFINITELY do not practice until you feel stressed. Don't even practice if your stressed...just take a day off.

I mentioned that I progressed through half the book in two weeks (80 pages). I've been playing for a month now and I'm still on page 90. I'm not trying to learn at the same pace because that's not my goal. My goal is to learn the fundamentals perfectly so I don't suffer problems in the future.

Perfect a piece? Don't bother to do it (made that mistake with Blow the Man Down, now I can play it so well but doesn't help me). Play a piece until it sounds satisfactory and just move on. Remember that you should be returning to the previous lessons everyday anyways and that you're learning to play the piano, not that particular piece.

Lastly, pain in your fingers, wrists, arms, head, etc... STOP. You need to diagnose what's causing you pain before you start playing again.

Last edited by pianotimo; 05/11/13 06:56 PM.
#2081175 - 05/12/13 03:18 AM Re: Sudden Urge of Learning the Piano. [Re: pianotimo]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,393
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
Bobpickle  Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014


Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,393
Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted by pianotimo
Good question that I certainly asked the forum when I started. My answer would be: as long as you have to to feel satisfied for the day OR until you feel pain.

I remembered that when I was progressing quickly, I would practice for 2-3 hours straight. When I was learning Blow the Man Down, I found it particularly gruesome. As you may realize, practicing the same thing for 2-3 hours is not beneficial. Therefore, I would only practice for 30 minutes that day. DEFINITELY do not practice until you feel stressed. Don't even practice if your stressed...just take a day off.

I mentioned that I progressed through half the book in two weeks (80 pages). I've been playing for a month now and I'm still on page 90. I'm not trying to learn at the same pace because that's not my goal. My goal is to learn the fundamentals perfectly so I don't suffer problems in the future.

Perfect a piece? Don't bother to do it (made that mistake with Blow the Man Down, now I can play it so well but doesn't help me). Play a piece until it sounds satisfactory and just move on. Remember that you should be returning to the previous lessons everyday anyways and that you're learning to play the piano, not that particular piece.

Lastly, pain in your fingers, wrists, arms, head, etc... STOP. You need to diagnose what's causing you pain before you start playing again.



Great input, pianotimo. I'll simply add that the following quote (quite possibly unintentionally) implies that in practicing, everyone is going to eventually encounter pain:

Originally Posted by pianotimo
My answer would be: ...until you feel pain.


, but so long as you're positioned properly and are practicing with the proper knowledge and careful application of what muscles are involved (or more often, not involved) as well as gravity's role at the piano, anyone is capable of being able to sit and play for any length of time pain-free.


"[The trick to life isn't] just about living forever. The trick is still living with yourself forever."

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

UK Members
Please check in
UK Members & Friends
Checking on our members and friends from the UK. Please Check In When Able
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
1989 Yamaha G2R Grand Piano
by Darrel. 05/24/17 10:35 AM
Review of Pollini and Perahia at Carnegie
by pianoloverus. 05/24/17 08:00 AM
Practicing scales plus.
by happyhacker. 05/24/17 05:08 AM
More? Or less?
by Jolly. 05/23/17 09:10 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics179,855
Posts2,629,333
Members87,864
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Report Problems With New Forums
Report Problems with New Forums Here!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0