2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Re-set your post count to zero, too, Mark.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I recall a post by tomasino a week or two ago, under his new name. I don't recall what was the new name, but it was something close to "tomasino." I like reading his thoughtful posts, too.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
I recall a post by tomasino a week or two ago, under his new name. I don't recall what was the new name, but it was something close to "tomasino." I like reading his thoughtful posts, too.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2031157/tomasino%20is%20back.html#Post2031157

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Goomer Piles
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
If I were, then one of us would have gotten kicked out long ago. grin

What concern of yours is it that I make a lot of posts? You're not being forced to read them.

What concern was it of yours that other members were concerned over the absence of a poster who actually posts useful content?

I think I've posted a fair amount of useful content, considering I've only been here two months.

What is your definition of "useful content"?

Regards,

Polyphonist

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
If I were, then one of us would have gotten kicked out long ago. grin

What concern of yours is it that I make a lot of posts? You're not being forced to read them.

What concern was it of yours that other members were concerned over the absence of a poster who actually posts useful content?

I think I've posted a fair amount of useful content, considering I've only been here two months.

What is your definition of "useful content"?

500 words or longer !!! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
Edited by Mark_C (05/06/13 02:30 PM)
Edit Reason: deleting everything I've ever said about anything

Re-set your post count to zero, too, Mark.

Mark... please, no! The processors will overheat. You'll bring PW servers to their knees. Small batches only, please. grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you average out Mark's posts and how long he's been here, you get 14 posts every single day since he's joined.

Hey, this is supposed to be about Tomasino....

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hey, this is supposed to be about Tomasino....

This your fifteenth post today. You're on a roll. smile

T
T
I'm still around, still thinking sometimes contentious thoughts about music and related topics, and wondering if I should share them with you. It's a serious question.

Over the years I've become a target for several piano world participants who seem to be laying in wait for me whenever I submit a post. They jump up and pounce on me. I've taken one or two of them on from time to time and held my own pretty well--but to no avail. They just lay lower in the ditch. It's not fun, and it can be very time consuming. I end up writing so carefully and slowly, trying very hard to cause no offense--and still be clear in my thought--but cause offense I do. Some of my ideas may be a bubble off center, I know, and sometimes even contentious. Still, I feel we all ought to be given the latitude necessary to express unconventional and difficult to articulate ideas without having to deal with those who are looking to take offense. And so, a number of months ago when I was pounced upon in just such a matter, I simply decided to let Piano World go for awhile.

My good friend Daniel, more familiar to you all as Ridicosolamente, and who I got to know while he was doing grad work here in Minnesota, sent me an email and attached this thread. Thank you, Daniel. It made me think maybe I should let my irritation with those few participants go for awhile, as I have gotten a good deal out of sharing ideas with many of you over quite a few years. I miss that. So, I'll cautiously take a step in and see what happens.

Tomasino

Tomasino -- Glad you're reading us, and glad to see you visiting back. And BTW I certainly hope I'm not one of the people you're worried about. We did have a little 'thing' a few years ago (misunderstanding), when I was new and before we knew each other at all, but I hope that's basically long forgotten. I've always viewed you as a great and valuable member, and hope you'll be visiting more often.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Great to see you post. Missed you! Hope everything is well smile

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I'm glad to see you around, too. Always read your posts, contentious or otherwise. smile

Du holde Kunst...
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by tomtomasino

Over the years I've become a target for several piano world participants who seem to be laying in wait for me whenever I submit a post. They jump up and pounce on me. I've taken one or two of them on from time to time and held my own pretty well--but to no avail. They just lay lower in the ditch. It's not fun, and it can be very time consuming. I end up writing so carefully and slowly, trying very hard to cause no offense--and still be clear in my thought--but cause offense I do. Some of my ideas may be a bubble off center, I know, and sometimes even contentious. Still, I feel we all ought to be given the latitude necessary to express unconventional and difficult to articulate ideas without having to deal with those who are looking to take offense. And so, a number of months ago when I was pounced upon in just such a matter, I simply decided to let Piano World go for awhile.

Oh, please, cue the violins....

You were "pounced on" because you came up with an elaborate insult to a number of us, comparing our musical taste to some deluded acquired taste for the smell of dirty socks. And the response to that insult was entirely appropriate.

If you can dish it out, but can't take it, maybe it is better not to participate in an open forum like this. Maybe your own blog, where you can delete responses you don't like before they go public, would be more appropriate.

Curious about the socks, I did a search and found these incidents:

- Tea tastes like hot water strained through dirty socks.

- Would leaf blowers in the house pick up dirty socks?

- One member’s dog loves dirty socks.

- Life without a man means no dirty socks to pick up.

- Opinions are like dirty socks: everyone has a few and they stink.

- Valerian smells like dirty socks.

- Dirty socks are a cure for concert conversations.

- Getting used to new music and tolerating it can be like getting used to the smell of dirty socks.

Conclusion. People who play piano seem to have a thing about socks. Is it the pedal?

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by keystring

- Getting used to new music and tolerating it can be like getting used to the smell of dirty socks.

If that's what it like for you, well, fine.

But don't project it onto others as if they are under some delusion that causes them to like the smell of dirty socks.

Last edited by wr; 05/07/13 08:42 AM.

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Welcome back, Tomasino. I don't always agree with your observations, but you always seem to have something thoughtful to say.

For what it may be worth, I'll observe that my enjoyment of this website increased considerably when I commenced very selective use of the "Ignore this User" button. Just go to the top bar, click on "User List," search for the name of the user at issue, and click the "Ignore this User" button.

I only use it currently for three users, but to be spared posts from them that are almost always pointless, argumentative, and offensive is nearly priceless.

Although I say it who shouldn't, it isn't necessary to get sucked into flame wars. For some, that's a hobby and a goal.

I'd rather read thoughts about piano from the vast majority of the wonderful users here.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
Originally Posted by keystring
Curious about the socks, I did a search and found these incidents:

- Tea tastes like hot water strained through dirty socks.

- Would leaf blowers in the house pick up dirty socks?

- One member’s dog loves dirty socks.

- Life without a man means no dirty socks to pick up.

- Opinions are like dirty socks: everyone has a few and they stink.

- Valerian smells like dirty socks.

- Dirty socks are a cure for concert conversations.

Conclusion. People who play piano seem to have a thing about socks. Is it the pedal?

Dunno about that conclusion, given that none of those points relates to piano at all.

FWIW, valerian smells like catnip. If you make some valerian tea, be prepared for your kitties to be very interested.

wr #2078780 05/07/13 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by wr

If that's what it like for you, well, fine.

Those were quotes. I collected every incident of "dirty sock" that has been uttered in PianoWorld by different people. I thought it was funny (like in haha) how PWers seemed to think about socks.

Dunno about that conclusion, given that none of those points relates to piano at all.

(sigh) Somebody complained about a comment about socks. I looked it up, and discovered that PianoWorld members seem to talk frequently about dirty socks. Every single one of those examples was something some PW member said while discussing (mostly) piano-related things. It was an attempt to lighten atmosphere.

By the way, welcome back Tomasino.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission