2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by patH
My two cents.I consider the score to be just a guideline. I do not follow it to the letter.I also believe that it's next to impossible to find a score that conveys the intent of the composer 100%.
So why not follow whatever guidelines they did write even if it's not complete or one thinks it's approximate? Even if the composer's instructions are not perfect why not make the best with what he did write?

Online Content
Originally Posted by boo1234
I don't want to speak for or offend any composers who are on this forum, but I would bet that a vast majority of performers/listeners are a lot more anal about fidelity to the score than the composers themselves.
A perfect example IMO of how words with connotations can color a statement. If one replaced "anal" by "respectful" or "concerned" the statement sounds very different I think.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't want to speak for or offend any composers who are on this forum, but I would bet that a vast majority of performers/listeners are a lot more anal about fidelity to the score than the composers themselves.

Listening to composers playing their own music (Bartok, Rachmaninoff, Faure, Scriabin, etc.) is really illuminating in this regard.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
A perfect example IMO of how words with connotations can color a statement. If one replaced "anal" by "respectful" or "concerned" the statement sounds very different I think.

What is respectful and what is concerned really depend on who you ask. And to my understanding, people in the 1800s were much more liberal about music. Pianists often did what they want with a score without a second thought. One could even argue that back then, it may have been disrespectful to NOT make the piece their own. Just a thought.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Beethoven is rolling in his grave.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
I
I
I think all the evidence indicates that Beethoven was pretty fussy, but could be won over by a convincing personality. So, try if you want, but prepare to be fried if you're insincere.

I think Bach would ask, "if you double here, do more people come?" That man had kids to feed.

Schubert would have been happy that his music is played at all, great as it is. I think a reverential attitude with Schubert is especially wrong.

Mozart, Chopin and Tchaikovsky would probably be the most diva-like, and complain about tempi and dynamics and instrumentation. (Mozart did it with Clementi, Chopin with Liszt, and Tchaikovsky plenty)

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I just cannot understand what is so hard about doing what is on the page. It never restricts you. You don't have to be a purist, snob, elitist, or "score-worshiper" to do what's on the page. You just do it. If you're a good musician, there are still COUNTLESS interpretive choices to be made.

B
B
Originally Posted by Ian_G

Mozart, Chopin and Tchaikovsky would probably be the most diva-like....

There are very few pianists today who would play a Mozart concerto exactly as written in the score....... wink

If music be the food of love, play on!
I
I
You're talking about 25? Don't fall prey to the Rosen flock. That wasn't an object-lesson in Mozart's free-wheeledness. That was a busy composer not bothering to write something out for himself.

B
B
You're talking about 25? Don't fall prey to the Rosen flock. That wasn't an object-lesson in Mozart's free-wheeledness. That was a busy composer not bothering to write something out for himself.

No, I'm talking about all his piano concertos.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Whatever you do, don't ignore what the French composers wrote down (aka, Boulez, Ravel, Debussy, Messiaen)...haha. Learning how to read the score is always a new challenge and is never the same on a composer-to-composer basis. There are many shades of grey, and it's important to approach music with a flexible mindset.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

A
A
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Whatever you do, don't ignore what the French composers wrote down (aka, Boulez, Ravel, Debussy, Messiaen)...haha. Learning how to read the score is always a new challenge and is never the same on a composer-to-composer basis. There are many shades of grey, and it's important to approach music with a flexible mindset.

Years ago now, I overheard a conversation between a rising star in avant-garde piano performance and one of the established masters. I won't name the latter, let's just call him Fred.

The young woman asked Fred how he played one bit of the piece she was working on, which used graphical notation rather than standard music notation. He glanced at it and said "I just look at it and improvise. The composers always seem to like it."

The message I took home was that there's no point writing scores that are detailed beyond human ability to reproduce. Furthermore, there's a current of self-delusion circulating in academic music where composers sweat over super-detailed scores even though they can't tell when the performer just takes them as a suggestion.

Andy

AndyJ
B
B
Messiaen is an interesting case, because he gave his approval to recordings and performances by many pianists (not just his wife) and conductors. I've heard at least four versions of his Turangalîla Symphony on CD, which proudly boasts that he was at the recording sessions (and almost implied that the conductor and pianist worked closely with him on the work), and that the performance was 'definitive'.

Yet none of them followed every marking in his score.....

T
T
Any excuse for some Denk...

http://jeremydenk.net/blog/2008/03/07/yet-another-ill-advised-egregious-post/

It's really a wonderful rant.

"Nine? Too late."
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I just cannot understand what is so hard about doing what is on the page. It never restricts you. You don't have to be a purist, snob, elitist, or "score-worshiper" to do what's on the page. You just do it. If you're a good musician, there are still COUNTLESS interpretive choices to be made.
Amen.

B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by bennevis

Mozart, Chopin and Tchaikovsky would probably be the most diva-like....

There are very few pianists today who would play a Mozart concerto exactly as written in the score....... wink

There are few Mozart concerto sources which are more than a vague reference to Mozart's intentions, particularly for the solo part. The manuscripts are often incomplete, and most of them were not published under his supervision.

Semipro Tech
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Didn't any of you read my post from yesterday? The simple fact is that a performer is supposed to be making music.

I have spent the last 13 years re-discovering what that is. It absolutely is not meticulously following some score.

The early comment about the Golliwogg's cakewalk which is on the Debussy piano roll is a typical example of what most piano teachers don't know about making music.

As anyone who has ever composed a piece of music knows, what is put down on the page in terms of notes is only a rough approximation of the sound that the composer hears in their minds ear.

Debussy was an impressionist. He was not a realist.

Therefore, what he was trying to do was to create in the listener's ear the "impression" of what it was like for him to see these black circus clowns perform at the Parisien circus.

So, in case you missed it the the first time, I list part of my post from yesterday wherein I quote Earl Wild, who for 80 years played and taught people how to make "music."

From page 448 of Earl Wild's Memoir:

"Since World War II, performers have, with few exceptions, been dominated by musicologists who have frightened everyone into uniformity. We no longer have the large varitey of unique personalities in the piano field.....

When I performed at the University of Maryland Piano Festival, I began my program with the Haydn Piano Sonata in D Major No.50. I was reviewed by a Washington, D.C. critic who criticized me severely because I broke some chords (I rolled some chords at the end of the last movement). It was a very common practice in Haydn's day to do this. Reading this criticism reminded me that there is such misinformtion about music today. We are subjected daily to the "urtext mob" (as Jorge Bolet often referred to them), who have put music into a straitjacket because they believe the printed page is sacred."

Finally, for your listening pleasure, Earl Wild's recording of the A Flat Major Ballade, in case any of you want hear how it is done with rolled and block chords. Please move the cursor to the 16.00 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-59bSNgQAY

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by wouter79
Originally Posted by Nikolas
And the blunt truth is that we do NOT know the reasons behind anything, let alone the intentions of a composer!

This seems the only to the point answer so far.

Maybe we can know our own reasons, but apart from that I tend to agree with this.

So, the answer is NO

So what? Isn't that what's so fun to do? Experiment with different sounds, question things, wonder...

The most frequent question that dances in my head is usually "what did he WANT here?" And yes - I'm sure 98% of the time I'm wrong, but trying is better than not because at least this way I achieve or discover something.

So What??? This is what the OP asks!

I did not say what to do if the answer is no as he did not ask that :-D

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
Mwm Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Can we ever truly realize the composer's intent?

No, of course not, and neither can the composer. If they think they can perform the work such that the listener truly hears the composer's intent, they need to take a course in psychology.

The ultimate arbiter of the music performance is the listener. No matter how one interprets the score, whether by slavishly adhering to all the markings, including editorial additions and note changes, intentional or unintentional, or by ignoring the score and playing according to their own way of expressing what they experience, having worked on the piece, it will be judged by the listener, no one else.

If a large number of listeners, at a given time, agree on the interpretation as having value, then that is all that the composer and performer can expect. Those values change over time, and change according to the listener group sampled. I prefer eccentric interpretations of music I know well, since it is a fresh approach, but I perform the same work with, sadly I might add, very careful attention to the score.

I have to voice support in the corner of Kuanpiano and OSK et al. I have to agree I'm not sure what all the fuss is about when following the score. Presumably the composer approved the manuscript and I've simply never felt limited or bounded by their intentions. Quite the opposite in fact, following meticulously still reveals great degrees of freedom of expression musically.

Bad spellers of the world untie!
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission