2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
31 members (EVC2017, CyberGene, Greta99, clothearednincompo, 1957, Chouca, Deltajockey, Guido, Roma - Italy, Burkey, 8 invisible), 402 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C. Bechstein 124el upright just received! A few questions...
#2077530 05/05/13 07:41 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Dear All,
after some months spent in trying to get used to electronic sounds and hybrid action of CA95 and NU1, at the end I moved to the final solution... and bought a new C. Bechstein 124 Elegance, Cherry wood.
I tried all the Bechstein uprights in many shops (from the nice Millenium to the big and expensive Model8), but this one from TÅ«bingen showroom impressed me most, even more than the Model8 just nearby: bass section is wonderful, comparable to a mid level grand, mid and heights are expressive but not too bright, action is heavier than other models... and I prefer that for my daily practise. Finally the cabinet is astonishing, with thousand different shadings depending on the light over it. The good opportunity was that the price was a bit reduced because it is not as easy to sell as the black ones, even if it is wonderful and sonds better!

Apart from my enthusiasm, I would like to ask you a few information regarding some doubts:

- I am having some issues with reverberation in my room and within the piano (even after releasing the keys I can hear a quite loud and long lasting resonance from inside the piano, is it normal? I did not notice that at the showroom): do You have any easy hint to improve the environment (distance from the wall, carpets, panels behind the soundboard...)?

- It seems to me quite out of tune (it did a long trip and a not so easy relocation in my apartment). Should I call immediately the technician for checking it, or wait some weeks for letting it "settle"? (the first tuning is included in the purchase) Would it be advisable to directly call a Bechstein professional operator?

- I noticed also that a few keys in the medium-bass section tend to sound twice when I push them very softly... it is a infrequent behavior and it is also difficult for me to sistematically reproduce this effect, but sometime it comes out. Do you think it should be mentioned for improved regulation?

Thank you for your kind hints!

Last edited by titowsky; 05/05/13 07:51 AM.
Re: C. Bechstein 124el upright just received! A few questions...
titowsky #2077548 05/05/13 08:36 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Your last 2 questions should be handled by the dealer. Make a note of which keys are double-playing so that the tuner can deal with that when they come out. I may wait a couple of weeks before tuning just to let everything settle and also so you can really figure out if there are any issues that need to be addressed.

I assume this piano is brand new, in which case, you will need to have it voiced for your tastes. Your first question might also be answered by your piano tech as well (*not* necessarily the tuner that the dealer sends out). I would wait until you have the initial tuning done and you get used to the sound of it in your space. Then from there if you are still dissatisfied, try some sound proofing of the room to see if that helps.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #2077551 05/05/13 08:54 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you for the advices, I will proceed as you say: the piano is brand new but it has been exposed for some time in the Bechstein showroom (I would never buy such an instrument just making an order an waiting whatever I get, some Bechstein uprights I tried were definitely worse than you would expect from such a brand and price...): so I think it has been already tuned and properly voiced... infact in the showroom it sounded already perfect to me.

titowsky #2077565 05/05/13 09:43 AM
Congratulations on your new piano!

I’d say give it a few days/weeks to acclimate to your home environment and then have it tuned and regulated.

Enjoy! smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
titowsky #2077621 05/05/13 12:13 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
As an answer to your first question, yes it's normal for there to be some resonance after the dampers come down. I had the same question as this when I went from digital to an upright. My piano teachers old VERY well settled upright does this and I asked the first two tuners to see the piano the same question. All agreed that that is normal. Some specific pings, tings and buzzes can be voiced/tuned out but a sort of general, muted, roar/echo is normal.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
titowsky #2077629 05/05/13 12:21 PM
titowsky:

Unless you bought from Thomann.de your dealer should pay you a courtesy visit to adress the problem.

For expensive pianos like yours an after delivery visit has long become routine for us - always a great pleasure!

Too bad you didn't buy from me: TÅ«bingen is one of my favourite little German towns to visit! grin

Congrats & enjoy!!

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 05/05/13 12:28 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
titowsky #2077643 05/05/13 12:43 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree that they should be able to send the tech to check the piano since it should be "playable" from the get go imho. At least my dealer did that besides the normal first tuning.

*Young Chang Y185 6'-1"

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
shaolin95 #2077666 05/05/13 01:49 PM
T
OP Offline
T
@ KurtZ:
exactly the roar/echo is what I hear also knocking gently on the soundboard, everything is "resonating"... but it is annoying during performance, in particular during soft pieces, because it gives the same feeling as not properly raising the pedal... some unwanted/unproper mixture of sounds (the sound lasts from behind the piano lasts more than 10 seconds!). This effect was absolutely not present at the showroom where probably fitted carpets and proper walls did their job.

@ Norbert:
thank you for the congratulations smile I live near Konstanz, but I visited several shops before buying this one coming from Bechstein showroom... but through another dealer. I had the constraint to give back my quite new NU1, so I had to find some "compromises" with the seller for my purchase.

@ shaolin95:
it is written in the contract that a first tuning is provided by the dealer for free. But for such a delicate and great instrument, in case of specific check or issues, I would call directly Bechstein service (unfortunately I still do not have here in Germany a personal trusted technician).

Last edited by titowsky; 05/05/13 03:53 PM.
titowsky #2077946 05/05/13 10:27 PM
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Perhaps Bechstein could recommend a tech who works near where you live. You might also want to ask Bechstein if this resonance is normal. It could be a a form of "case resonance."

The long move may have knocked this piano out of tune. Give it a few weeks to stabilize, so that a tuning will be long lasting.

titowsky #2078129 05/06/13 05:53 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Titowsky, I was going to say your three problems sound like the effects of the move and that basic service and tuning should correct then. Then I tested my Schiedmayer and found that it has some resonance after the dampers (which are working) come down. I had not noticed this before but perhaps it is natural. Your technician will advise.

During the test, I checked the nose bolts holding the action to the frame and found they were not quite tight. After it was tuned a month ago I thought it was a bit muted. Now thanks to your posting, the bolts are tight again and the sparkle is back.

Make sure the technician checks the screws and bolts in your piano.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
titowsky #2078239 05/06/13 10:40 AM
S
S
The c.bechstein was one of the best uprights I've played! Congratulations!
The reverberation problem can be solved easily by adding any kind of soft material (I.e carpet, wall deco, sofa) in ANYWHERE of the room, walls, floor or ceiling, until you achieve the optimum reverberation you prefer.

PLEYEL P124
titowsky #2078314 05/06/13 01:14 PM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Steven is right about reverberation but some dampers may have been disturbed as well. Have you tried holding down some keys silently then playing and releasing others an octave apart to create resonances in the piano?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Withindale #2078324 05/06/13 01:34 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I tried just now with a blanket behind the soundboard... uhm, the effect is a bit reduced... because also the sound itself has become less bright and powerful.
I do not like this solution: it seems to change the typical, extraordinary character of the intrument. Probably a good compromise could be a small carpet below its feet...

But I have to say that today I tolerate more this resonance: am I getting used to it, or is it decreasing as the piano settles in my environment?

Let's see how it goes on... smile

Thank you for the congratulations: it is really a wonderful piano, I could not expect such a volume and character in an upright. And I cannot wait for having it properly tuned (I have to wait still a couple of weeks: also the technician suggested to wait some time).

Withindale #2078330 05/06/13 01:39 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Yeah! That's it! If I hold down a key in the middle part, then I play the same note one or two octaves lower... the first one sounds like no dumper is existing (it happens also viceversa). But the dumper works properly! And it is very loud!

titowsky #2078401 05/06/13 03:37 PM
S
S
Small carpet below its feet will reduce vibration that's gonna transfer to downstairs, will NOT reduce the reverberation.

Covering walls/floor/ceiling with soft material is the only way(and the easy way)
You may be surprised how much a carpet will do.

PLEYEL P124
titowsky #2078404 05/06/13 03:42 PM
M
M
Titowsky's reverberation comments remind me of my Seiler (also an upright). Even with an area rug below it and another rather thick rug behind it, my piano still sounds like an echo box in the mid-range of the notes. I hope the suggestions will fix his problems even if they didn't fix mine...

titowsky #2078417 05/06/13 04:06 PM
T
OP Offline
T
MCha... strange that you did not solve the problem, did you check it with a good technician?

What I can ensure is that my piano did not have this problem at the showroom, so I would like to exclude it is a premanent issue: up to now I think it is more a matter of settling (as it has already improved since yesterday) and tuning, after the long trip it has done.

titowsky #2079340 05/08/13 02:10 PM
B
B
My piano have the same problem that I can hear double strike sound when I press some keys very softly(especially when sustain pedal pressed).

But I assume C.Bechstein is very fine piano but why have this problem? Is this a common issue for all upright pianos?

www.YaHobby.com
Transformers Toys and Model Kits
titowsky #2079433 05/08/13 05:11 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Babylon-
If your piano is a decent one in good mechanical condition, and if it is regulated properly, then this should not happen if it is played correctly. It is a question of technique. Even (and especially) when playing softly, depress the key all the way down to the bottom. This is essential for the mechanism to go through its whole cycle of motion, ending in the catching of the hammer by the check.

JG
Supply #2079477 05/08/13 07:36 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Frankly speaking I do not think this is my case for two reasons:
I never had this problem on any other piano I can remember, so I do not think it is a matter of wrong technique
The problem is much more/only evident in the medium bass section,one or two octaves maximum, not all the keyboard is affected.

...so I really tend to consider a matter of regulation to be improved.
I will lei you know ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,853
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission