2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Most of the time, we can most fully realize the composer's intent by paying for the music, whether it is the sheet music, a recording, or performance. Sometimes the composer's intent is merely to get someone to listen to it, but usually they appreciate money.

Semipro Tech
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by stores

You've not been here long enough to understand why. I'll speak my mind when I'm ready.

I was around a good three months before you "left". Your mannerisms often offended people, whether you said something idiotic or absolutely true. I don't know if you had any deep personal problems with fellow PW members, nor is it any of my business. What I am curious to know is why you created a goodbye thread, but for some reason continue to post every now and again stating how you will not get involved. I've seen it happen many times. What's the meaning of this lukewarm existence on PW? Make a decision and stick with it.

It makes no difference to me, because it's just the internet. I don't care one way or another if he lurks posts here on PW, even if he says he makes ten goodbye threads.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Respecting the score doesn't cause boring performances - boring performances are the result of poor musicianship..

I agree. And if someone totally ignores a diminuendo/crescendo, or a dynamic, or an articulation marking, or does the opposite of those, I think that's incorrect to do. However, if it says "tempo rubato" or "marcato," one person's rubato may be a tad less than the other, or one person's marcato may be a little "starker" than the other. I think that's more intuition and performance practice, because you're already doing one way or another what's on the score. Crescendo means crescendo; if you do a few decibels more or less than the other person, who cares as long as it's still in the overall character and context?

Last edited by Orange Soda King; 05/04/13 07:55 PM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
Respecting the score doesn't cause boring performances - boring performances are the result of poor musicianship..

I agree. And if someone totally ignores a diminuendo/crescendo, or a dynamic, or an articulation marking, or does the opposite of those, I think that's incorrect to do. However, if it says "tempo rubato" or "marcato," one person's rubato may be a tad less than the other, or one person's marcato may be a little "starker" than the other. I think that's more intuition and performance practice, because you're already doing one way or another what's on the score. Crescendo means crescendo; if you do a few decibels more or less than the other person, who cares as long as it's still in the overall character and context?

Well, I ignored the continuous decrescendo into the slow movement of the Liszt sonata, by playing the second last chord as mezzo forte, and the last chord pianissimo, to emphasize the "ringing" effect of those last chords, as well as to put an emphasis on the the decrescendo effect. However, musically, I felt that what I did with those chords did not violate the intent of the composer.

I think the most important thing to know is that the performer should always respect the score and bring their own personality when it comes to presenting the music towards the audience. However, every musical decision is something that the musician will be held accountable for - is there an intelligent reason why you decided to follow, or deviate from, the score? Intelligent interpretation is always key.

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The Liszt sonata is in multiple movements?

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
****section before the Andante Sostenuto. I call them movements to make it easier to talk about specific parts of the piece.

It's a matter of academic debate! :P

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

There's certain amount of respect with following a score and I don't understand why people seem to struggle with that concept.

Maybe because it's a fairly recent idea, and wasn't always dogma.

Have you read Kenneth Hamilton's After the Golden Age: Romantic Pianism and Modern Performance yet? If you haven't, you really should. It's something of an eye-opener about all this. Besides, it's a great read.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
The Liszt sonata is in multiple movements?

Sort of. The movements are implied in certain places, even though the piece is written as a single movement.

Regards,

Polyphonist
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

There's certain amount of respect with following a score and I don't understand why people seem to struggle with that concept.

Have you read Kenneth Hamilton's After the Golden Age: Romantic Pianism and Modern Performance yet? If you haven't, you really should. It's something of an eye-opener about all this. Besides, it's a great read.

I should give that a look. It's not that it's a "dogma" per se, but I have always learned, even recently heard again that with Beethoven, Debussy, Bartok and Ravel (at least) you don't mess around. They were extreme about following markings. I mean composers worked and worked to come up with the score as it is. Why should we not follow what they wrote? I mean, with someone like Brahms, yes, it's more forgiving because he under-edited a lot of things (for instance he'll have 3 pages of forte and nothing else, so you have to be creative). You have to at least strive to achieve the overall concept. And there's SO much you can do with all the markings in the score. Like someone said, someone's staccato will be different than another person, or marcato or their dynamics even. Or their sense of "piu mosso" etc etc etc etc. That's why it's so interesting.

With Debussy violin sonata for instance, I've had at least 14 different coaches over the years. None of them disregard anything in the score, but they all have had different things to say and different ways of achieving something you see. It's incredibly interesting and rewarding to try all these things.

I don't understand why people see it as a bad thing. There's a lot you can do with that's there, in many ways - not just one.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Rant warning:

This is a huge, HUGE problem in my opinion. A lot of people take the score as gospel. Crescendo here, diminuendo here, etc. because the score says so. It just doesn't work. Even when every part of the score is taken into account, quite often the performance will still wind up being utterly boring. I think this kind of mentality is the primary source of musical banality in the classical world. Music shouldn't be premeditated in such a way. It should be spontaneous and organic. Even the composers themselves almost blatantly ignored their own scores at times. At least Debussy did.. we know that for a fact. Doesn't that tell you anything? Look, I'm not advocating rebellion against the score. All I'm saying is that music should be, like I said, spontaneous and organic. Playing an exact, literal reading of the score without plugging in your own ideas will never provide this, because then it just becomes dictation. Music doesn't belong in such shackles.

It can still be spontaneous and organic, if you know what you're doing and how to interpret something..............

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Nikolas
And the blunt truth is that we do NOT know the reasons behind anything, let alone the intentions of a composer!

This seems the only to the point answer so far.

Maybe we can know our own reasons, but apart from that I tend to agree with this.

So, the answer is NO

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
...nor is it any of my business...

Stick with that.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

G
G
Great thread, with unusually good input. Thanks to all.

Rachmaninoff once said that if all that was in a composer's work was what he consciously put there, it could not be great music.
The performer is part of the reality of the performance. The best never play the same piece the same way twice. A good composer will understand that this attitude in the hands of the best interpreters insures the life force in a piece of music.
He also knows that his pieces are like children, he releases them, however reluctantly, into the world and he hopes for the best, and is usually very happy when they are played at all.
The best pieces literally have NO ideal interpretation, any more than one can have a "definitive" photo of Mt. Everest.
I think that composers reading this topic will agree that the language and syntax of music composition (through the love-hate we have for Finale or Sibelius or whatever) is always approximate at best; I would maintain that that in-exactness is actually a blessing, not a curse.
A quality performer will always seek to "truly realize the composer's intent", but will keep that idea in perspective as he brings himself fully into the interpretive role.

Last edited by geraldbrennan; 05/05/13 07:34 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

I should give that a look. It's not that it's a "dogma" per se, but I have always learned, even recently heard again that with Beethoven, Debussy, Bartok and Ravel (at least) you don't mess around. They were extreme about following markings. I mean composers worked and worked to come up with the score as it is. Why should we not follow what they wrote? I mean, with someone like Brahms, yes, it's more forgiving because he under-edited a lot of things (for instance he'll have 3 pages of forte and nothing else, so you have to be creative). You have to at least strive to achieve the overall concept. And there's SO much you can do with all the markings in the score. Like someone said, someone's staccato will be different than another person, or marcato or their dynamics even. Or their sense of "piu mosso" etc etc etc etc. That's why it's so interesting.

With Debussy violin sonata for instance, I've had at least 14 different coaches over the years. None of them disregard anything in the score, but they all have had different things to say and different ways of achieving something you see. It's incredibly interesting and rewarding to try all these things.

I don't understand why people see it as a bad thing. There's a lot you can do with that's there, in many ways - not just one.

I agree that following the score, especially with composers who really tried to put everything in, can result in wonderful performances. I don't see that as a bad thing in itself, and in my amateurish way, it is usually what I try to do.

But I do see it as a bad thing that musicians are taught that they aren't ever supposed to "think outside the box", as it were, and are not supposed to get very wild with their interpretations. It suppresses the imagination, I think. I don't think that every pianist on the planet should follow Liszt's example and add extra filigree to Chopin, but sometimes I wish just a few would dare to, if they really felt the urge. I think it's healthy to be adventurous, even outrageous, sometimes. On the other hand, if somebody turned pseudo-Lisztian score alteration into some kind of grotesque schtick (which it could easily become), I wouldn't be so happy.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

I agree that following the score, especially with composers who really tried to put everything in, can result in wonderful performances. I don't see that as a bad thing in itself, and in my amateurish way, it is usually what I try to do.

But I do see it as a bad thing that musicians are taught that they aren't ever supposed to "think outside the box", as it were, and are not supposed to get very wild with their interpretations. It suppresses the imagination, I think. I don't think that every pianist on the planet should follow Liszt's example and add extra filigree to Chopin, but sometimes I wish just a few would dare to, if they really felt the urge. I think it's healthy to be adventurous, even outrageous, sometimes. On the other hand, if somebody turned pseudo-Lisztian score alteration into some kind of grotesque schtick (which it could easily become), I wouldn't be so happy.

Well yeah, I agree with all of that of course, and it's about 'where do you draw the line' with this.. the excellent musician will know how to use it successfully. He'll know how to transform the score into something incredible. I'm all for thinking outside the box, but it has to go with respecting the composer. I mean, I add several low octaves in Rachmaninov 1st sonata because I think it makes complete sense for many reasons.. I'm sure there are people who would crucify me, but at the same time I work like insane to be truthful to what's on the page - without feeling like I have no freedom.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
Originally Posted by Nikolas
And the blunt truth is that we do NOT know the reasons behind anything, let alone the intentions of a composer!

This seems the only to the point answer so far.

Maybe we can know our own reasons, but apart from that I tend to agree with this.

So, the answer is NO

So what? Isn't that what's so fun to do? Experiment with different sounds, question things, wonder...

The most frequent question that dances in my head is usually "what did he WANT here?" And yes - I'm sure 98% of the time I'm wrong, but trying is better than not because at least this way I achieve or discover something.

Last edited by Pogorelich.; 05/05/13 09:51 AM.

Online Content
Originally Posted by geraldbrennan
The performer is part of the reality of the performance. The best never play the same piece the same way twice. A good composer will understand that this attitude in the hands of the best interpreters insures the life force in a piece of music.
I think some of the great pianists tended to vary their interpretations a lot in each performances but others played basically the same with a mostly fixed(or at least very gradually evolving and predetermined)interpretation. I don't think there's a best way in this area. I see no logical argument in favor of following a very fixed and preplanned interpretation vs. something more spontaneous. I also think that even those pianists who claim to be the most spontaneous in their playing still mostly vary only a small amount from their pre performance interpretation. The "I never perform a piece the same way twice" is in my view an exaggeration unless one is talking about minor differences. I don't think it would be possible for anyone hearing a given pianist play a given piece for the first time to tell whether that performance was exactly like a previous one or different.

I think for huge majority of all pianists(most of them being non professionals since most pianists aren't pros) the problem probably isn't following the score too much but not following the score enough.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/05/13 09:52 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted by wr

But I do see it as a bad thing that musicians are taught that they aren't ever supposed to "think outside the box", as it were, and are not supposed to get very wild with their interpretations. It suppresses the imagination, I think.

To hear what we're missing today, have a listen to Raoul Koczalski, who, among the pianists who have left us good recordings, was the closest in 'lineage' from Chopin himself via Karol Mikuli, Chopin's favorite student.

http://youtu.be/VRmek8kADWA Nocturne in E flat, Op.9/2
http://youtu.be/XqvLEdvrhjE Ballade No.1 in G minor

If music be the food of love, play on!
Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by wr

But I do see it as a bad thing that musicians are taught that they aren't ever supposed to "think outside the box", as it were, and are not supposed to get very wild with their interpretations. It suppresses the imagination, I think.

To hear what we're missing today, have a listen to Raoul Koczalski, who, among the pianists who have left us good recordings, was the closest in 'lineage' from Chopin himself via Karol Mikuli, Chopin's favorite student.

Not at all appealing for my taste.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by wr

Yep, I still remember the goosebumps I got from first hearing these fantastic performances.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission