2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
FWIW: "Chopin encouraged short practice sessions. Madame Dubois (Camille O'Meara) reported: "One day he heard me say that I practiced six hours a day. He became quite angry, and forbade me to practice more than three hours." (Eigeldinger 27). Another student wrote: "He always advised the pupil not to work for too long at a stretch and to intermit between hours of work by reading a good book, by looking at masterpieces of art, or by taking an invigorating walk."

from here

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
And another hour or so on improvising, composing, transcribing, or just doodling - exploring different sounds and techniques.

+1

An often overlooked aspect of becoming a musician. I'm dismayed to hear of pianists who are reduced to musical muteness when there is no score to read and no memorized piece ready to go.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cefinow

+1

An often overlooked aspect of becoming a musician. I'm dismayed to hear of pianists who are reduced to musical muteness when there is no score to read and no memorized piece ready to go.

Well that can happen when you're booked with recitals and have massive rep to learn all the time....... Some people don't have time for this.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by hujidong
Ok so you're beginner-intermediate, awesome!!
Alright so in your off-time you could be relaxing and listening to classical music, also maybe check out some books that I have really liked: Music: An Art and a Language by Walter Raymond Spalding, Piano Mastery by Harriette Brower, Great Pianists on Piano Playing by James Francis Coooke, and Lessons in Music Form by Percy Goestschius. These are really nice books which have helped me a lot in trying to figure out what music from the piano is. ......

......So it is easiest to notice awkwardness in any passage working hands separately and going through slowly. It feels like my focus isn't barraged by a million things happening at once. I try to find a spot where my hand feels awkward and it seems like the movement can improve. I think I notice an inefficient usage of energy and motion when a hand flies from one key to the next, hovering there above for a split second before touching down, or if the movement itself isn't confident enough for it to be almost like a second nature....

....Then I try to remember that and push down on the key, and I want to be able to control the whole motion going down, as every bit of it sends the hammer moving towards the string. After that, I try to think about how to keep the key pushed down while using as little strength as possible, to preserve as much energy as I can. Then I want to completely control the release, and know how I am letting the hammer come off the key and what kind of sound it is creating...

...If you post up some troublesome passages or anything I could say some more about how to apply this method onto those passages.

I hope you will find this useful in some way!

All the best

Hujidong, Thank you for so much advice and such a detailed post.

I will definitely check out those books. I'm sure that would be time well spent.

I have also noticed that when I play a passage slowly any awkward sections become even more apparent to me. I noticed this when recording a very short piece that I am going to post here soon. The slower I played, the more difficult it was to play smoothly. I sure that will improve with practise, but I think your right about slowing a piece down to notice any awkward sections.

I love the way you think about everything that is going on as you strike a key to produce the sound you are after. And how to strike it to preserve energy and keep momentum.

Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it.

What was posted above is all light practice. Run your hands under warm water when you take breaks to up circulation to deliver what your hands need from your body! Try and stay away from caffeine and nicotine, they will hurt your circulation and you really need that. Water, breaks, and stretching!

Oh yes I already mentioned I won't be hammering away for 10 hours smile

I will definitely try the warm water! And I am happy I don't smoke or drink coffee. Will have to watch the soda though. Thanks

Last edited by mattmorgan44; 05/04/13 12:32 AM.

Roland RD700NX | Roland HP-507
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by cefinow

+1

Well that can happen when you're booked with recitals and have massive rep to learn all the time....... Some people don't have time for this.

If you have a massive repertoire, you should never be in the situation cefinow describes. wink

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene

..... for each person the time they can spend on one particular task before being "saturated" and needing to wait until the next day varies so much between individuals.

I think the most valuable things a person can do in this situation is:

1) Listen, listen, listen, especially to live performances whenever possible, and not just piano music, but anything that moves you

2) Learn how to practice well and efficiently. Time is no factor, it's about accomplishing distinct tasks.

Hi Morodiene, thanks for your reply. I am very happy with both of your suggestions. I have noticed that I seem to improve much more when my practise is focused (distinct tasks). Rather than messing around, which I tend to do a lot while I wait for my lessons - so I don't practise bad technique for hours on end.

I am now going to make a serious effort to get to some live performances. Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention. I have never been to a dedicated piano performance.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by BruceD

1)... There just is not enough material within a beginner's grasp that spending that amount of time - every day - on piano-related study would produce results, other than quick burn-out.

2) No beginner knows at the outset that s/he wants to completely dedicate his or her life to piano "and become the best pianist they could possibly become." It takes time, study and some experience to develop that sort of commitment.

I appreciate you responding. I addressed the 10 hour issue earlier. Even though I think 10 hours on piano related activity per day would not be a problem at all. But that is your opinion.

On point (2) though, I have to strongly disagree. Although maybe the problem lies in me calling myself a beginner. I do know that I want to dedicate my life to piano. I am in a very unique position to be able to make that sort of commitment.

Thanks

M
M
Originally Posted by mattmorgan44

I have also noticed that when I play a passage slowly any awkward sections become even more apparent to me. I noticed this when recording a very short piece that I am going to post here soon.

One more piece of advice Mattmorgan! Be careful with that (posting your videos on internet forums). I can tell you're a hard worker and care about what you are doing. I think the internet can be a bit like the Discovery Channel, with lions running all around looking for a gazelle whose head to chew on. Anyway, maybe you have a super thick skin, but just know you'll probably get a bit of rabble and it's not always going to be about you or your performance. So don't get too upset if someone tells you you are doing a DISSERVICE to CHOPIN or anything like that. (Lots of really friendly folks in the mix too, obviously!) So yeah, you may not want to post anything too near and dear to your heart :-)

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I think most knowledgeable posters, when replying to recordings, aim to provide both encouragement and criticism, in varying quantities according to the quality of the recording. ha

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
M
Hehe, you're right I think. Maybe also in varying quantities according to the person who is offering the feedback! Anyway, it's great; there's obviously lots of talented people bumbling around here and willing to share their advices. Just a tip regarding inner fortitude :-)

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by mermilylumpkin
smile Are you just beginning? Are you wanting to spend ten hours a day at the piano? If so, I think that's lovely that you're so devoted. Passion and curiosity and interest can be a sort of fuel to drive you toward your goals and it sounds like you really must love piano if you are entertaining the idea of spending so much time (unless you are asking "for a friend" as it were.)

I'd caution at the outset that practicing 10 hours per day for ~9 days(?) and then getting burnt out is a more realistic scenario than practicing devotedly half an hour every day, for your first few months or years, then ramping it up to an hour, then ramping it up to two hours, and so forth. I think you're more likely to see real, tangible gains through the latter method than the former, though I imagine it's difficult to be told to put a lid on your excitement.

If you must I'd break it down like this:
  • 30 minutes: Methodical, slow, intentional practice of repertoire that you like, maybe ten minutes or so spent on scales or whatever technique activities your teacher is recommending
  • 9 hours and 30 minutes: Listen to piano music you like, read books about piano music, noodle around a bit at the keyboard if you feel compelled.

That's the way I structure my practice time, anyway. I have 2-3 hours of "work, work" time (to quote the orcs from the computergame Warcraft II, ahem) that is pretty belabored and high intensity. Then the rest of my music time is just sort of like the frosting on top and very optional but enjoyable - like I'll listen to lots of recordings in a sort of ravenous way, or I feel like wandering over to the piano outside of my "serious business" time, I might play some things from memory or just play joyfully and tinkle around. YMMV.

Mermilylumpkin,

I REALLY respect that although you think 10 hours is too long, you still addressed the question and broke it up to 9.5hrs, and 30 minutes haha smile

I am only just beginning to take piano seriously. I took piano for a year and a bit when I was very young but was not interested in lessons and exams at that age. I have always loved the piano, but I didn't take it up again as I got older because I was focusing on school. Then grades 11 and 12 came up and I was studying. Then I went to university to study biomedical science as a pre med degree to study medicine. In my third year I was hit by a car on my motorbike. About a year later I bought a keyboard to start playing again but I had a lot going on so I got very little playing done and that went on for 3 or so years.

Now, I feel like everything in my life has led up to this. Piano has always been my passion. And now that passion is skyrocketing. I want to dedicate my life to learning the piano and becoming the best pianist I can. I can no longer work outside of home and I can't return to study, but I no longer want to study anything but piano. So that is what I am going to do.

There are more reasons that I can't and don't want to bring up on a forum. But that should be enough to give you an idea of my situation. I thought I should post a bit about me or I will keep getting answers like "a beginner can't dedicate his life to piano" or just a general thinking that it is naive of me to believe such a thing.

So, to be more specific with your questions, I don't want to spend 10 hours per day at the piano. I rather have 10 hours per day that I would like to spend on any piano related activity that will further my skill. At the piano or otherwise. Reading books and listening to music are suggestions that I have taken on board smile

I am sure I would most likely get burnt out if I actually spent 10 hours on playing time. But now that you know a little more, would you still suggest 30 minutes per day for the first few months to years? I really will be doing nothing but focusing on piano. As crazy as that may sound as it is not the normal thing for people to do. But it is better than watching TV for 10 hours which is what I did for quite some time.

Originally Posted by mermilylumpkin
If you really do have 10 hours a day, and really are able in terms of logistics and mental stamina to devote that to piano, then the conversation would look different after you'd had 5(?ish) years under your belt. Try to be a bit of a realist as dull as that is, so you don't end up setting impossible expectations for yourself.

Ok, I really do have 10 hours and the logistics and mental stamina to devote to piano (not sitting time, but everything piano) smile and I will be happy to take more advice in 5 years. But I would like to hear people's advice for me for now, now that people know a little more about my situation. I have an idea of where I'd like to be in 5 years and as I am 25yo now (old for piano) it will take a lot of work and time. So I started this thread for advice on the best way to spend that time.

Thank you Mermily and everyone that has responded so far and if anyone else has advice please post.

Thanks, Matt.

Last edited by mattmorgan44; 05/04/13 03:27 AM.

M
M
Hi Matt,

I'm very sorry to hear about your motorbike accident. That sounds terrible. I really do admire you for wanting to spend so much time at it. To be honest, I was just giving you advice based on my own experience and my own inclinations personality-wise. For myself, I've always done better when I've started with small manageable goals and built on them in increments. I thrive on routine and when I was ramping up on practicing time, I felt like I got more results from feeling the payoff of 45m every day -> 1 hour every day after a few months -> 1.5 hours, etc. Whenever I've set excessively lofty goals for myself from the outset, I've had difficulty with the consistent routine aspect. This is all just my own experience and shouldn't dictate what you decide to do.

Anyway, if you really do have the willpower to do ten hours, I say go for it! I just think it will require a very vast amount of willpower. I think the reason that some people may have been coming at it with a bit of skepticism is that it's just really hard to put in that amount of time without much history. And you don't want to burn yourself out. But no one here but you knows you and your situation and if you think you can do it, then who is to say otherwise? In any case, I think the important part is that you love it and that you want it very much. There's really a lot that you can accomplish through determination and especially practice, which you're clearly willing to devote yourself to.

I'd say, if you're really stuck on improving as quickly as possible, put in a really really focused 1.5 hours per day in, and read and consume and love music as much as you like, whether it's 9 more hours or however many, but don't put so much pressure on yourself that you must do it for ten hours every day. Again, this is just my take, but if you "make" yourself do something for ten hours, it may well start to feel like a sort of jail however much you were excited in the first place. For example, I joined a music library at a university near my home and it's a GREAT use of an hour or so to wander around and get lost there a bit, but I think it would be less fun if I felt like it was something I had to do as part of a "regimen." Things like chance musical discoveries and the beautiful, low-pressure type things are what end up keeping me going and just making me love piano, but it might kill the joy a bit if I felt like "music appreciation" was something I had to do for X hours per day.

But yeah, I sincerely do hope you post about your progress. I'm in your corner :-)

M
OP Offline
M
Ahh whats going on pianoworld! It seemed to shut down for me half way through my post

Mermilylumpkin, Thank you for the encouraging words smile

I don't believe I would burn out... However, I respect that you and other people here have a lot more experience than me, so I will always take advice seriously. I don't want to be a year down the road wishing I had listened because I'm over it. Even though I can't see that happening now!

If getting "burnt out" was a non-issue (not saying it is), are there any other reasons I shouldn't practise for say 5 hours per day (time actually playing). I know hand injury has plagued some people here. Does that only apply to people that have had issues with there hands or everyone? How much time at the piano would we be talking for injury to be a concern? And a there any other reasons to practise less, assuming I have the time spare?

Also regarding posting videos, I have pretty thick skin smile and if I'm crap, I want to know exactly why and how to improve. But don't be expecting Bach any time soon! I've had 1 lesson. But I want to post a short clip so that you guys can tell me if I'm making any mistakes technique-wise so I don't form bad habits. Because I won't have a teacher for another month, and that teacher doesn't seem to worry about technique :s That issue has been discussed and the consensus was to stay with her for the time being.

Last edited by mattmorgan44; 05/04/13 03:52 AM.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by RachelEDNC
This doesn't answer your original post, but is just a thought...

If you are going to be practicing quite a bit, and are not at an advanced level where you understand how technique works, then you should definitely find the time (and money) to be having at least a one hour lesson twice a week. Given the beginner/intermediate status, you are probably more likely to be practicing mistakes or incorrect technique. You don't want to be wasting your time or going backwards by practicing things incorrectly.

This I have found to be sooooo true. I started back at aged 62 having been through all those Trinity School levels and beyond enjoying periodinc busrst of play over the years and eventually letting it go.
Tthis time when I went back it was soul destroyingl I was just full of mistakes and I tried an tried by myself to no avail. So I found a teacher, just by chance and he was a concert-pianist with so much more knowledge than any of the ivory thumpers I had previously learned from. This time I was the one with grey hair and he could have been my son!
IT was a strange exchange of respect, he for his elders and me for his knowledge.
He knew the physiology of the hand etc etc, and I studied physio way back when so understood him very well. His english was limited, he of bolivian descent but because I already knew a lot I cottoned on quickly to what he meant and we were a match!
Itwas really thrilling to learn from him. Even though he had this Eastern European severe steak in his character he is so patient and concerned about the music and I overcame my fear of making mistakes and learned patience with myself to try agian and go very very slowly.
I went twice a week for half hour really focussed lessons and it was fantastic. I did Bach;s Ist prelude from the well tempered clavier which scared me to dealth at first and took a good 6th month for me to feel comfortable with. Now I find Mozart k343 quite easy though one mistake ruins this really pretty piece, and I'm doing Beethoven's Rondo and Capriccio op129. Such a fun piece! and I can't wait to have that one down.
I have to find another teacher/coach here in my summer location up in Kelowna B.C. which won't be easy. I don't want to loose my momentum even though I was assured I was ready for self development. I know I shall fall back into old habits left to myself.
Reading along this post I wish you the very very best, I would play 10 hrs if I could but life does get in the way and other things have to get done. but I'm fortunate to be retired, sort of, but able to stop by the piano anytime I want or feel like it which allows me to get may be 2 hrs good practice in on a good day . More often its half hour stints that I make really focused, then other more relaxed playing when I can.
I have no special goal, just to play beautiful music the best I can and know I'll hardly get to do concertos and am happy to find things that are within my capacity.

Last edited by Palmpirate; 05/04/13 10:12 AM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

R
R
If I were you, I'd have a frank discussion with your teacher as to your talent and capabilities before you dedicate ten hours a day.

What do you foresee yourself doing with piano? Teaching? Playing professionally? This should also be part of the discussion with the teacher.

You sound driven, but that's an awful lot of time in a day's waking hours to devote to one goal. Have you actually put in a ten hour 'piano day'?

It sounds like you are lucky enough not to have to go to 40 hour a week job. Nice.

H
H
If he is really doing 10 hours of piano a day, and he has dedicated his life to his passion which becomes his work, then doesn't he work 60 hours a week on a normal workweek? Some lucky folks..

M
OP Offline
M
Palmpirate, thank you for your reply. I love hearing about other people's experience and I am very happy for you to have re-discovered that passion smile Your post makes me want to chase down the other teacher I was trying to get a trial lesson with who was also a concert pianist. But I discussed that in my other thread and am going to listen to the advice of people here and stay with my local teacher for now, while I am a beginner. Thanks again

Originally Posted by riley80
If I were you, I'd have a frank discussion with your teacher as to your talent and capabilities before you dedicate ten hours a day.

What do you foresee yourself doing with piano? Teaching? Playing professionally? This should also be part of the discussion with the teacher.

You sound driven, but that's an awful lot of time in a day's waking hours to devote to one goal. Have you actually put in a ten hour 'piano day'?

It sounds like you are lucky enough not to have to go to 40 hour a week job. Nice.

Riley, thank you for your direct advice.

I think you are the first person to ask me what I see myself doing in the future. I would love to play professionally. I am not naive enough to think I will become a concert pianist starting at my age. But I do believe I could play at venues such as restaurants, cocktail lounges etc. Or play as an accompanist.

When I am proficient enough I would like to start teaching while I continue to learn. In my post to milylumpkin above I explained my situation a little. I really, really wish I could work a normal job. Unfortunately I can't at present so It would be nice to be able to bring in some form of income from home.

But in the end what I want to do is compose my own music. Learn learn learn the piano, develop my skill as much as I possibly can in my lifetime, and enjoy it. Working playing piano would be amazing and I hope I find that opportunity but it is not a necessity. So I don't think having a frank discussion with my teacher about my talent is necessary. I do think discussing where I would like to take my playing and what I would like to do in the future would be worthwhile. So thank you, I will do that.

You are also the fist person to ask if I have actually done a 10 hour day. Well yes I have been spending at least 10 hours every day in the last few weeks focusing on piano but I have to keep stressing I'm not spending 10 hours sitting playing the piano. I have been asking for advice on how to spend the 10 hours (basically a full day - 10 hours was a little arbitrary) on any activity that will further my skill as a pianist. So in the last few weeks I have been researching, reading, playing some, learning to read sheet music, posting here, listening to a lot of piano music and watching A LOT of piano tutorials on the net. I haven't been playing for many hours per day because I have been very worried that I will practise bad technique and form bad habits so I am waiting for my lessons to start at the end of this month. And now thanks to this thread I have much more to do with my time. Lots of books to read, some tutorials to watch and a Yale lecture to listen to smile smile

To me, 10 hours per day doesn't seem like an awful lot of time to spend on piano. It is what I want to do with my life so it makes sense I would spend the majority of my time on it.

If he is really doing 10 hours of piano a day, and he has dedicated his life to his passion which becomes his work, then doesn't he work 60 hours a week on a normal workweek? Some lucky folks..

There is truth in that. My father always used to say if you find a job that you really enjoy you will never have to work a day in your life. It is a romantic thought that isn't realistic for most of us. But if you can do it, go for it smile

I'm not sure I understand why some people find the OP's question hard to fathom. I get it; it's as if he said his new career, hobby, pasttime, and downtime will all be devoted to piano.

I can only be happy that he has found an opportunity and motivation to dedicate his life to his dreams.

It's what any of us could hope for!

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Found this relevant and interesting article on practicing:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...racticing-less-can-foster-musical-growth

Last edited by Morodiene; 05/04/13 10:05 PM. Reason: fixed link

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
OP Offline
M
Morodiene,

Thank you so much for linking this! It is very helpful information and I have bookmarked it.

I have really taken a lot from that.

So as important as practice is, how could less of it ever be a key to musical growth? First consider the motivational realities of practicing. Because it can be difficult solitary work focused on weaknesses, it's usually extrinsically motivated. It's like dieting or leaving your bed at 6:00am for a treadmill at the gym. Though practice is not an enjoyable task, musicians understand the value of it, and know it must be done.

The constant struggle to find practice time can cause stress, and excessive practice can take a toll physically and motivationally

Maybe this explains people's reaction to me practising for long hours every day. Practise IS an enjoyable task for me at present. And the time is there to be used. Even focused goal oriented practise is still very enjoyable to me. It is not one bit like dieting or getting up early to get to to gym (which I do struggle with haha). I can't wait to get into practise smile

But that might not last forever. So I think I have taken from this if it does become like a chore, something not pleasant, I need to re evaluate how long I spend doing it.

Considering the mental energy required for effective practice, it’s no wonder that so many opt instead for the ineffective approach of mindless repetition! The most focused experts are subject to mental fatigue, especially when trying to power through a marathon practice session. This is why several shorter sessions spread throughout a day (i.e., distributed practice) is a better option than a single prolonged session (massed practice).

Distributed practice is employed by many who go on to reach the highest levels of performance expertise. However, even among the most advanced musicians, who are careful to take breaks between sessions, about two hours per day is an optimal amount of practice; about four hours is the single day max. These figures are based on a landmark study by Ericsson, Krampe, and Tesch-Römer (1993), who reported that the training practices of elite musicians were similar to those of professional athletes and chess masters.

Choosing to focus on practice quality over quantity can free up time for other music activities away from the instrument, which ultimately can make practice more effective. For example, score study is a useful exercise done by classical musicians to become familiar with compositions they are preparing for performance. And musicians can always benefit by increasing the amount of music listening they do. Listening is a primary means by which we encode into memory what “good music” sounds like. It is how we build the aural perceptual skills needed to accurately evaluate our own music production during practice.

This answers so many of my questions and many of you have already given me this advice.

Sorter sessions
Breaks between sessions.
2 hours per day optimal
4 hours per day max

And I can still use up my 10 hours on piano (last paragraph above, and below) smile

time not practicing is not lost time in the pursuit to improve musicianship.

Awesome. Thanks Morodiene

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission