2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mermilylumpkin
Originally Posted by kapelli

Overrated?
Lang Lang, Grimaud..

I respect anyone's opinion that Lang Lang is overrated... only after they've heard him in concert play Bach or Schubert.

-J

M
M
Why, does he do a bitchin' Bach and Schubert? I might need to go to Youtube and look this up!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Why, does he do a bitchin' Bach and Schubert? I might need to go to Youtube and look this up!

I'm not sure if his more recent solo playing is on YouTube. I'm in the minority group that holds that, in addition to his popular concertizing, he's capable of producing extraordinarily nuanced and faithful performances when he wants to. Here's a review I wrote of his recital a year ago:

review

-J

M
M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGMbBZky-gA Hey, look! I was just watching this as you replied. It's lovely I think. He does a very lyrical Bach.

Haha, I agree with the "partial Lang Lang apologist" on this one.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGMbBZky-gA Hey, look! I was just watching this as you replied. It's lovely I think. He does a very lyrical Bach.

I could almost tolerate the Prelude, but then the Allemande made me hit the mute button. Ridiculous.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Lang Lang has the ability to be the best damn pianist in the world if you ask me. He just lets his crude showmanship destroy his musicality so often. It's a real shame. Maybe as he ages he will steer further away from that.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

What I heard in concert was much *quieter* than what I hear in these recordings, but I stand by my basic opinions. It's not how I would play them, but I find these interpretations riveting.

-J

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Next you're going to tell us you enjoy Gould's Chopin 3rd. (Well, it could be worse. ha)

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by beet31425

What I heard in concert was much *quieter* than what I hear in these recordings, but I stand by my basic opinions.

I have never heard LL live, and I have none of his recordings in my library. LL's YT videos are rather distressing, but if a live venue has worked for you, then I respect your opinion.

And yet -with the possible exception of the Yellow River Concerto- is his playing anything more than just fabulous in its technical address, or would it possibly be remembered more in the annals of pianistic history?

Jason
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I can honestly say I've never felt anyone was significantly under- or overrated. I've often felt that individuals or particular groups underrate or overrate pianists -- usually involving failure to appreciate aspects that legitimately make some pianists admired, or idiosyncratic high regard for pianists that don't enjoy general renown -- but if we're talking about predominant general views, I can't think of anyone at all that I think has been significantly misjudged.

So there! grin

edit: One exception, sort of -- and OpusMaximum mentioned him:

Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus
Underrated:....
Eric Heidsieck

(spelling corrected) grin

This is sort of quibbling about vocabulary, but....I wouldn't say he's underrated, just underrecognized. I think most people who are aware of his playing rate him as he deserves -- which is very, very high.

Last edited by Mark_C; 05/04/13 12:20 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by beet31425

What I heard in concert was much *quieter* than what I hear in these recordings, but I stand by my basic opinions.

I have never heard LL live, and I have none of his recordings in my library. LL's YT videos are rather distressing, but if a live venue has worked for you, then I respect your opinion.

Hehe, distressing is such a perfect word to use to criticize a piano performance. There was a scene from a movie, I think it was the Royal Tannenbaums, where an art critic calls someone's really bad art "workman-like." I always thought that was my number 1 artistic insult of all time, but distressing is a pretty strong contender.

Anyway, I didn't find the Bach one very distressing myself but maybe I'll have to look up one where he's flailing about a bit more.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Over rated, Art Tatum who I find dull, cold, and repetative.

Also anybody playing 6ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths etc in an endless dirge of going nowhere whilst pretending to be a "keyboard God/Monster/Giant/Whatever".

Plus kids up to 30 years old walking into piano shops and playing enormously fast right hand runs up the keyboard (a la Tatum) and nothing else because the left hand is for the joy-stick, play a bit of Chopin and watch them run.

Under rated, Andre Previn, Valentina Lisitsa and some of the great comics who could play a piano and make people laugh too, Victor Borge, Chico Marx, Les Dawson and Reg Varney, to name but four of many.

B
B
There are only a few pianists that I wouldn't miss going to hear live in concert, but none of them are under-rated.

However, there are a few (of whom some are now dead or retired) that I've always thought are/were over-rated. They are the boring ones who have no imagination, no individuality and nothing special to say about the music beyond playing what's on the page. There's another category of pianists who don't 'sing', don't have a beautiful cantabile tone when the music demands it, all head and no heart - and those too are, IMO, over-rated.

The older I get (and I'm now very, very ancient wink ), the more I realize how much the ability to convey one's musical intention to the audience relies on a truly comprehensive and all-embracing keyboard technique. Which is why all the pianists in my 'not-to-be-missed' category above have transcendental techniques that allow them to play anything exactly the way they want. I never have to wonder if a tempo choice or some aspect of rubato is because the pianist is playing for safety.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Lang Lang is very good in technically difficult pieces with extended virtuosic sections requiring little musicianship or subtlety. In all other works, you're better off listening to someone else.

Regards,

Polyphonist
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
IMO, the weird thing about Lang Lang is that he's surprisingly boring when playing pieces that are supposed to be exciting. His Appassionata and Prok 7 aren't exciting at all...

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Is he exciting when playing pieces that are boring? ha

Regards,

Polyphonist
B
B
Originally Posted by Kuanpiano
IMO, the weird thing about Lang Lang is that he's surprisingly boring when playing pieces that are supposed to be exciting. His Appassionata and Prok 7 aren't exciting at all...

His Mendelssohn Piano Concerto No.1 is the most exciting as well as the most poetic I've heard from anybody - including Serkin, Perahia, Wang.....

If music be the food of love, play on!
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Who's that? wink

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Who's that? wink

It's using a neuter adjective to describe a masculine noun, which is not allowed. ha

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
This pianist should be FAR better known: Hannes Minnaar.

Take your pick of

Or S-S 5, which is such a refreshing change from the empty hot house of Rachmaninov 3.

Jason
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission