2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Now of course it all depends on what your definition of "is" is. *Rolls eyes*

Haven't had much time to check these forums due to all the practicing cool but here's a simple question and although potentially you can make many pieces to all of these what are your preferences?

Name three composers for the piano (apparently you have to state the obvious) in the classical/Romantic era and name 3 works that best display Romantic/tear-jerker, Prestige & Noble and Power/Might. For instance since all you guys listen to is Chopin...

Chopin:
Tear Jerker- Etude op. 10, No.3

Prestigious- Heroic Polonaise op. 53

Raw Power & Might- Piano Sonata No.2

Prokofiev? Ravel? Schumann's? Rach? Liszt? Beethoven?

Feel free to add another emotion like grief, sadness etc

Last edited by King Cole; 05/04/13 01:26 AM.

"What is genius? To aspire to a lofty aim and to will the means to that aim" -Nietzsche
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I notice a loophole: You didn't ask for piano pieces. wink

Schubert:
Tear-jerker: Gretchen am Spinnrade.
Prestige & Noble: Symphonie Nr.9 "Great"
Power & Might: Mirjam's Siegesgesang

If we try to find piano pieces:
Tear-jerker: Still Gretchen am Spinnrade.
Prestige: Impromptu op.90/4.
Power & Might: Sonata D958 or D960.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by patH
I notice a loophole: You didn't ask for piano pieces. wink
Using that loophole: I listened to most of Max Bruch's violin concerto #3 on the way home from my lesson yesterday. It was beautiful but one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

Best regards,

Deborah
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Rachmaninoff:

Tear Jerker: Parts of 3rd concerto op 30 (I could probably substitute dozens of pieces for this one)

Prestigious: 2nd concerto op 18 (I guess - you probably should have gone into more detail about what these things mean... wink I just picked it because it's well-known)

Powerful: Paganini Rhapsody op 43 (self-explanatory)

Sorry about picking all piano + orchestra pieces. laugh

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Chopin (completely different from the OP... ha )

Tear Jerker: 4th Ballade or 3rd Sonata (oh, I could list these for ages)

Prestigious: Revolutionary Etude 10/12 (again, could substitute a lot of different pieces here)

Powerful: Maybe 28/24? Can't decide between several different pieces for this one.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
By the way - what is the point of this thread, if you don't mind my asking? ha

(Not trying to be insulting, just curious. laugh )

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Of course this is a piano forum, Polyphonist, but does your musical world extend at all beyond what has been written for the piano? Do you listen to anything else?

All of your above examples are not 'tear jerkers' to me, with the exception of Rachmaninov 2.

Jason
M
M
This is of course your thread so feel free to ignore my suggestion but what about adding more categories of feeling? It just occurred to me since a lot of my favorite pieces are more evocative of "wild" or "coming undone" or "strange" or "quiet and reflective." There's probably a more catchy name for those feelings than that. For some reason I'm frequently not as drawn to mighty and colossal things. Anyway, I'm not very good at these threads of categorizing things, so I'll "take my answer off the air" as they say on NPR.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by argerichfan
All of your above examples are not 'tear jerkers' to me, with the exception of Rachmaninov 2.

...which I didn't even list as one.

Of course this is a piano forum,

Yes.

does your musical world extend at all beyond what has been written for the piano? Do you listen to anything else?

Yes, it does, as a matter of fact. I'm not as musically illiterate as you seem to think, argerichfan.

I assumed the OP to be talking about piano works, since this thread is on a forum called "Pianist Corner". So I limited my candidates to solo piano works, or pieces for piano and orchestra.

All of your above examples are not 'tear jerkers' to me

So, we have different musical tastes. Does that mean we can't get along at all?

Chopin's 4th Ballade, in my opinion, is one of the most profound works ever written. The Largo of the 3rd Sonata also falls into this category.

The Rachmaninoff Third is perhaps my favorite work of all time. I'm not going to get into why this is on this thread, as that would most likely hijack the thread. If you want to know, go look at the other forums on which the piece is being discussed.

If these pieces aren't "Tear Jerkers" for you, pray tell me, which ones are? (Excluding works without a piano in them.)

Regards,

Polyphonist
V
V
Hi All,

My picks for Brahms:

Tearjerker - Intermezzo in A Op. 118 #2 OR Intermezzo in C# minor Op. 117 #3
Prestige/Noble - Piano Concerto 2
Power/Might - Piano Concerto 1

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by King Cole

Name three composers for the piano (apparently you have to state the obvious) in the classical/Romantic era and name 3 works that best display Romantic/tear-jerker, Prestige & Noble and Power/Might. For instance since all you guys listen to is Chopin...

Avoiding single movements from sonatas and symphonies (of which there are even better examples):

1) Mahler's Symphony No.9 and Mozart's Ave verum corpus. Piano: Mozart's Rondo in A minor, K 511

2) Elgar's Symphony No.1 - and his piano transcription of Nimrod (marked nobilmente - though not in the orchestral score).

3) Tchaikovsky's Marche slave, Op.31. Piano: Prokofiev's Suggestion diabolique, Op.4/4

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Polyphonist, to address your points:

I do not consider you 'musically illiterate', begone with that. I think the 4th Chopin Ballade one of Chopin's greatest works (why did Busoni rate it the weakest?), it just has never moved me in the way that, apparently, it has for you. My vote for Chopin goes to the Barcarolle. (Oh dear, it destroys me, no contest.)

Our musical tastes are delightfully different, and I truly apologize if I cannot share your exalted opinion of Rachmaninov 3. As per another topic, I think Saint-Saëns 5 a better piece of music, it makes its point -and comes to a glorious climax- with sentiment, but without sentimentality.

You challenge me to come up with tear jerkers, piano only. (So I cannot mention Wagner?) My musical world is mainly organ and church music, not relevant here, but I can share a few moments from my past.

I did acid once, and per chance happened to hear the slow movement of the Brahms Op 5. Not very trendy to talk about, but I heard things there which I have never forgotten. It penetrated my mind, and then the Eb minor Scherzo came along.

The variations from Beethoven's Op 109. It came at a moment in my life wherein I needed consolation, and I just felt the kind hand of Beethoven on my shoulder. Tears that I will never forget.

Jason

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Argherichfan -

Thanks for your post (above) that puts your "choices" in a personal context. So much more interesting and meaningful to read than the usual superficial babble on threads like this - and it certainly makes me want to seriously think about "why" certain works mean so much to me as well.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by carey
argerichfan
Thanks for your post (above) that puts your "choices" in a personal context. So much more interesting and meaningful to read than the usual superficial babble on threads like this - and it certainly makes me want to seriously think about "why" certain works mean so much to me as well.

Many thanks for your post. I am headed to France on Monday for about a month. I will be by myself, but I will take the opportunity to examine some aspects of my life -I may not even speak any English- which have become somewhat complacent these days living in the US. French Catholicism is so dynamic, and of course this will not fail to have its influence.

Jason

Online Content

Originally Posted by carey
argerichfan

Many thanks for your post. I am headed to France on Monday for about a month. I will be by myself, but I will take the opportunity to examine some aspects of my life -I may not even speak any English- which have become somewhat complacent these days living in the US. French Catholicism is so dynamic, and of course this will not fail to have its influence.

Lucky guy. I have no doubt that you'll have a wonderful experience - and I look forward to hearing about the highlights of the trip upon your return. Hopefully you'll have a chance to visit some of the great cathedrals and hear a couple of live organ recitals while you're there. thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Liszt:
tearjerker: sonata
prestige/noble: sonata
power/might: sonata

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
Liszt:
tearjerker: sonata
prestige/noble: sonata
power/might: sonata

I was going to do that for Rach and Opus 30, but decided not to. grin

You could also do it for Beethoven and Opus 106.

You could probably do it for any composer, come to think of it. ha Most every great composer has those works.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
[...]You could probably do it for any composer, come to think of it. ha Most every great composer has those works.

Moreover, one man's "tearjerker" is another man's "repose"; one man's "power" is another man's "bombast" which makes the entire exercise somewhat futile, I think.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Of course; the object is not to evaluate the quality of the works or make fun of other people's choices, but to share the pieces that you are passionate about. Who knows, maybe someone will read your post and listen to a piece you listed that they've never heard before, and then share your love for it. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Scriabin

Tearjerker: Sonata # 3, 3rd movement: easily one of the most tender and achingly beautiful piano pieces of all time

Prestige/noble: Piano Concerto, 3rd movement

Power and might: Prometheus: The Poem of Fire

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission