2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hello there pianoworld! My name is Joel and I've been playing piano for about 6-7 years now and I'm looking to buy a new digital piano as my old one really doesn't do it for me anymore.

My price range is somewhere between 2000-4000€ I know it's a huge range so kind of hard to suggest I suppose but yeah, Basically piano sound is probably the most important part together with nice touch, being able to move the piano around is not a neccessity as I'll probably just have it at home in my room for practice. The only one that I've figured buying is Kawai mp10, but that's around the 2000 mark so I don't really mind going higher for even better.

Thanks in advance!

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Kawai MP10 is probably the pick for those who like a heavier touch; or Yamaha CP1/CP5 and Roland FP-80/RD-700NX for those who prefer lighter touch (or FP-7F, the predecessor of the FP-80). Nord Piano 2 has its fans, it has a wide range of different piano sounds, though few people think its keybed is among the best. Some people also like the Korg Kronos though it's less piano-centric, and also not the best keybed.

B
OP Offline
B
Yeah I heard the kawai mp10 had nice touch and that's pretty much why I considered it, I think that the touch that promotes my ''technique'' the best would be good. I've also looked at Fp-7F but I could still go quite a bit higher in the price range for something even better but I don't really know what to buy in the higher areas. Thanks for the help!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Well, it depends what kind of product category you're interested in.

Stage pianos:
- Roland RD-700NX
- Roland V-Piano
- Kawai MP10
- Yamaha CP1
- Nord Piano 2

Console-type digital Pianos:
- Roland HP-507
- Kawai CA95
- Yamaha CLP-480

Luxury-type (black polish, traditional cabinet style) digital pianos:
- Roland LX-15
- Kawai CS10
- Yamaha NU1

Another alternative is to go the software piano route, and use a high-end controller such as the Kawai VPC1, or any one of the above instruments connected to a Mac or PC running virtual piano software.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the replies, I have looked around quite a bit and the Kawai CA95 seems very nice, of course I'd like to actually try it out first though but seems like I'm leaning towards that one at the moment.

C
C
Good pick. I've been "leaning"[1] towards that one as well for several months now. wink

[1] As in buying it in a few weeks (finally!)

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
B
OP Offline
B
Sweet ! wink. Have you tried it out or going by reviews, internet etc?

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Whatever you do, try it out in person first. Sound and key touch preference is a personal and subjective thing.

B
OP Offline
B
Yeah I know, It's rather hard to find places where you can test Kawai over here in Sweden though, All I find is Roland everywhere.

C
C
I have yet to give it a test run (I'm going to Thomann and will decide and buy there) but I'm fairly convinced that I'll pick it up eventually. I have no preconceptions on both sound and touch as I have never played a piano before so unless I discover something horribly uncomfortable, I'll get it.

As the piano is still fairly new on the market, there were/are not many reviews I know of but the feedback I have received from the fellow PW forumers has been all but encouraging. And of course, I did like the sound demo from the official Kawai presentation video.

Last edited by Clayman; 05/03/13 10:53 AM.

-- Zbynek N.

B
OP Offline
B
Oh I see, just starting up then, I might just get it as well as I'm not the pickiest person exactly. If I really dislike it I could send it back anyways. So CA95 is my to go probably, thanks for the help!

C
C
Glad to be of service. Do make sure to try out the piano so you can be sure about what you're getting.

When it comes to availability of Kawai pianos, I'm in a somewhat similar situation as there's only a handful of shops in my country that sell these pianos and they only supply the higher-end models on demand. I have contacted Thomann and they do indeed stock the Kawai CA-95 (and also Yamaha CLP-470, which is the runner-up model I'm considering) so I will pay them a visit to see these two pianos side by side.

I understand, however, that Sweden is considerably farther away from Germany than the Czech Republic so you might give a call to one of your local shops to see if they can get a piece for you.

Last edited by Clayman; 05/03/13 11:15 AM.

-- Zbynek N.

Online Content
Buzenbazen, if you haven't done so already, please give Kawai's Sweden/Denmark distributor, Juhl-Sorensen, a call to enquire about availability of the CA95.

Contact information can be found at the following page:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
OP Offline
B
Oh thanks, will do!

Originally Posted by Clayman
(...speaking of the CA95...) Good pick. I've been "leaning"[1] towards that one as well for several months now. wink

[1] As in buying it in a few weeks (finally!)

Clayman, we two are in fierce procrastination contest since several months: who gets his instrument first should get from Kawai a free CA99 at the end, I guess (it will cost them nothing, being their long ago discontinued model by then).

But I am now forced back into my acoustic department during these weeks of digital abstinence, which I find very refreshing.

C
C
Temperament, I sincerely wish procrastination was the true reason. laugh Saving up is something I have never really been very good at but I'm getting there. smile With a bit of luck, I should have a new toy to play with/on by the beginning of June.

-- Zbynek N.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission