2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,915 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
I'm not able to follow. Has the breakfast program continued, or has it been cancelled? Is the view that a cancelled breakfast program will hurt learning? Or that a continued breakfast program will hurt learning?

By the way, what is the earliest kindergarten age down there?

Kindergarten is 5-6. Preschool is 4-5.

The breakfast program is continuing, to the dismay of many parents and teachers. I used to work in a district that has the free breakfast program, too. It's a joke. They served quite a bit of junk (coffee cake for breakfast, anyone?), and a lot of spills took place. We had ours in the cafeteria, but apparently some schools serve food inside the classroom on a daily basis. What a nightmare.

Sorry to digress...

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Interesting. We have "junior kindergarten" and "senior-kindergarten". With some birthdays, that means some of the kids are starting school when they are still 3 years old.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
... "senior-kindergarten"...

I'm sure it is politically incorrect as all get out, but this makes me giggle and think of a fun place for elderly people to go for a few hours each day.

Learner
A
A

Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
[quote=Bluoh] I just heard on the radio what Los Angeles Unified is doing with the free breakfast program. It was sheer madness. No wonder kids can't learn.

You'll have to spell this out for us, AZN. Our radios don't all receive that far.

Here's the story from the Los Angeles Times. The huge Los Angeles Unified School District (from which I graduated in 1973) is fighting with its board about budget cuts. A couple of days ago the district threatened to "...eliminate a classroom breakfast program serving nearly 200,000 children...."

I was in high school there when the first big round of cuts went into effect following the property-tax rollback imposed by Proposition 13. I felt them personally as I had to attend summer school to get enough academic credits to qualify for university admission. In those days, every California school kid was required to take one period of physical education every day of their thirteen years in public school. As a result I was only allowed to take three academic classes in my senior year. California has gradually declined from leading the country in public education to a dismal near-bottom performance. Factors other than finance certainly contribute, but you can't maintain a school system with continually declining budgets.

Andy

AndyJ
S
SBP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Bluoh
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Originally Posted by Bluoh
Human rights have progressed lots since the 1960s; kids are people too, and anyways, it's not healthy for you or for your students.

Really? On what planet? On planet Earth, it appears to be regressing. Especially here in the USA.

I am female and I am allowed to own a house, a piano, vote, and wear pants. Whipping is not allowed. Residential schools no longer exist. The church is no longer the 'higher power'. The court of law is no longer associated with politics nor the church.

In Canada, you are allowed to exercise your rights and freedoms so long as it does not infringe upon anyone else's rights and/or freedoms.

How are human rights regressing? Of course, it will never be perfect and politics will always be tied to it, but it's progress.

Let's not forget equal voting rights for blacks and other races, more or less equal pay (we still need to do some-read a lot of work on that), and so on. There's still the issues of marriage equality (please for the love of God do not open this can, nay cargo ship, of worms and derail this thread any more), immigration reform, and other busy-sounding buzzwords for serious issues, but given that each side always says "no" to what the other side wants and vice versa (like kids at recess), these issues'll be up in the air 'til doomsday :P

Anyways, stand up for yourself. Confront the parent. Don't take crap from whiny kids. Another thing you could do is try teaching them pieces they're interested in, which is mostly not Piano Adventures 2A. Try looking up arrangements for songs from famous movies or video games. Show them that piano is more than just stuffy dead white people music. If you give them something that they're more likely to be interested in, it shows not only that you can understand them at least a little bit, but they'll have more incentive to learn to play the instrument. Case in point-the guitar teacher at my school not only teaches basic/advanced guitar method and the pre-requisite standard teaching songs, but also teaches them both classic and modern rock and metal, which is what the students want to learn in the first place, and as such all of his students respect him.

You know what they say-"you can teach an old dog new tricks, but only if he/she wants to".

2012 Kawai K3
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I guess you can choose to live in your fantasy world and I'll live in mine. After 20 years of living in Germany, returning to the USA, we couldn't believe how lewd and crude it had become. Telling stories to motivate, getting students to recognize their boorish behavior is not violating their "human rights" what ever that might be, but rather to recognize that a form of inappropriate behavior, is, well, unacceptable not only in public but in private as well.

BTW, your statement:
In Canada, you are allowed to exercise your rights and freedoms so long as it does not infringe upon anyone else's rights and/or freedoms.
is only partly true. But this is not a political forum, so this will be my last post on the subject, and you can have the last word.

It's not "telling stories to motivate"-- it's threatening. Threatening people shouldn't be part of anyone's teaching. It's not healthy and it's inappropriate. And it violates someone's human rights.

I'm not about to argue whether the USA has gotten crude over the years because I haven't been there long enough to know.

But I have been to the USA and I've noticed differences in behaviour (even though Target says we're neighbours), and it never feels the same as Canada.

It's still progress from the 1960s though. Which brings me back: human rights have progressed since the 1960s.

Anyways, if those things aren't progress in human rights (plus SBP's post) and more, then you must be pretty immersed in your fantasy world. :P

However, I'm not about to start an argument, and I'm not a political person anyways (I'm more of a dabbler in the field of law). I guess we can each exist in our own worlds.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

One Mom called in to say that it builds "team work" to clean up the spills in class, and that eating together is a "teachable moment." I was rolling on the floor laughing.

It seems self evident to you that eating in the classroom is a bad idea.

I see the other side of it: that kids who are desparately hungry aren't all that interesting in learning.

gotta go practice
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
One thought about the first kid - this from my own childhood. I was once thoroughly chastised by my mother for "mocking" an old lady of our acquaintance after we left her house. The thing is, as far as I know I'd done no such thing and was totally bewildered. So bewildered that it was a seminal experience that has stayed with me for more than fifty years. All I can figure out is that I must've been subconsciously imitating one of the old lady's mannerisms. (I'm one of those people who tend to pick up the accent of whomever I'm talking to.) Your student number one may not realize he's doing anything offensive. He may not realize he's doing anything at all. It may be a form of flattery. I sincerely liked that old lady and never thought there was anything odd about her.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I’ve never had trouble with child rudeness ...
but then I have a heavy set of eyebrows with a tortured rebel crease.

However, if I were in the shoes of the OP,
my solution would conjure the following scenario ...
when the rude student arrives (preferably with parent) ...
I would beg 5 minutes to conclude an earlier lesson in the main studio ... and with use of a trick recording which can be heard in the waiting room ... let waft upon the air the dire sound of knuckles being rapped and yowls of pain ... all heard above the daemonic roars of the angry PT ... with a closing shout “get out you useless waste of time “ ... ”use the back door and don’t come back”

If that doesn’t work ... resort to the blood-stained riding crop.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by btb
I would beg 5 minutes to conclude an earlier lesson in the main studio ... and with use of a trick recording which can be heard in the waiting room ... let waft upon the air the dire sound of knuckles being rapped and yowls of pain ... all heard above the daemonic roars of the angry PT ...

I have always wondered if a variation of that actually happened to me.

Many years ago I was audited by a state IRS office.

As I waited in the examiner's outer office, I heard him on the phone. His end of the conversation went like this, "yes, I understand that your father is dying of cancer in the nursing home. But what kind of payment schedule can he set up?"

That did not set a good tone for my turn.

(as it turned out, I had overpaid and they owed me money instead of the other way around. But being the IRS, they just calculated some kind of penalty that exactly balanced it out.)

gotta go practice
As a person whose knuckles were rapped by someone who pretended to teach piano, I am not amused ....

as it turned out, I had overpaid and they owed me money instead of the other way around. But being the IRS, they just calculated some kind of penalty that exactly balanced it out.

I was waiting to hear if you told them what kind of payment scheme they would have to accept. smile

Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
As a person whose knuckles were rapped by someone who pretended to teach piano, I am not amused ....

I dont blame you, I would only want them rapped by someone who could actually teach piano as well.

Last edited by Dipsy; 05/03/13 02:41 PM.
Hah! grin

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

That hurts more than having one's knuckles rapped by someone who is a master piano teacher.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
I think I was too young to notice the difference!

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
This thread is getting a little strange... ha

Regards,

Polyphonist
J
J
When I was a kid, I used to go along with my friends to their piano lessons at the Catholic school. Sister Andriella kept a ruler next to the piano to whack their hands if they made a mistake. True story. Ah, the good old days.

N
N
Would the mother be willing to sit in on the lessons? If not could you video tape them? I would get the mother's permission (in writing) to video and then email her the video. There may be underlying factors (such as trouble at home etc.) but you are not the child's therapist and if it continues it will only get worse.

"If you are going through heck, keep going." Winston Churchill
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
What I recieve from your post is that the children are confused and frustrated because they are tired or frustrated in some way. Are you setting goals for them? And moreover, are they working on goals? Or just doing piano.

Although not an expert, I think we need to believe in students and show them our positive expectations. Set some targets and give positive affirmation. By. focusing on the annoying habits of the kids you make them bigger.

Of course a dialog with parent is important to find out motivations. Also kids are rounded individuals who have a lot of stuff going on in their lives. Boys particularly have all kinds of hormonal changes influencing moods. And when you can emphathise with some of these issues you will be able to create a better relationship with these students. But yes, be firm and work with them on 'their' goals - if it is to look cool in front of peers or whatever..

It don't mean a ting if it don't have dat swing
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission